Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   10 songs you like by people whose songs you generally don't like (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40729)

Decayed Rhapsody 10.05.2010 04:17 AM

I fucking loathe The Kills, but the dude is an alright guitar player at times with some decent if repetitive riffs. Alison Mosshart on the other hand needs to be thrown into a volcano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ8N1JUnw-8

Torn Curtain 06.09.2011 04:22 PM

The Gossip - Standing in the way of control

GeneticKiss 06.11.2011 01:07 PM

I remember this thread...

And I will admit to liking exactly 3 Linkin Park songs: Papercut, Shadow of the Day, and Giving Up.

Derek 06.11.2011 01:30 PM

Red Hot Chili Peppers - 'Dosed'

hirsute_biped 06.11.2011 02:44 PM

I've only recently heard the first two Kraftwerk albums, and a early live bootleg, and they are truly awesome krautrock. Quickly morphed into robots who invented techno, and i really can't stand it.

Torn Curtain 04.22.2012 05:48 AM

Ben Harper - Please bleed

Dude McDude 04.22.2012 06:37 AM

Amon Tobin - Slowly
Beck - Chemtrails
Brad - Buttercup
Broadcast - Black cat
Burial - Archangel
Dismemberment Plan - The city
Down - Stone the crow
Evil Superstars - It's a sad sad planet
Flaming Lips - Race for the prize
Gang Starr - The place where we dwell (brilliantly sampled drum loop)

Theres more, but now i'm tired.

Severian 04.22.2012 12:19 PM

Just pretend I listed 5 pre-Joshua Tree U2 singles and 5 Coldplay songs here. I'm too busy to think this one through. Great thread idea though.

gmku 04.22.2012 04:40 PM

Can't think of any. That probably means I like too many kinds of music to do this.

gmku 04.22.2012 08:28 PM

I really think this is kind of lame thread.

EVOLghost 04.22.2012 10:57 PM

Belle and Sebastian- I want the world to stop.

Dude McDude 04.23.2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
speaking of U2, "new year's day" is one of my favorite songs.

New year's day is good. I also like lemon a lot. It's really underrated despite Bonos fucking falsetto.

Pookie 04.23.2012 04:36 PM

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Primal Scream - Velocity Girl

Can't think of any more at the moment.

TheMadcapLaughs 04.23.2012 07:35 PM

this is difficult

cardigins-lovefool
boney m-rasputin
avril lavigne-complicated
the walkmen-we've been had (i really haven't them a great listen though)
gotye-somebody that i use to know (haha, i know im really cool!)
aeriel pink-round and round
canibus-second round ko
police-every little thing she does is magic
primus-jerry was a race car driver
hall and oates-she's gone

TheMadcapLaughs 04.23.2012 07:59 PM

oh and one more.

cass mcombs-county line (the rest of the stuff i've heard has been very eh)

boxofburton 05.13.2012 01:48 PM

Toto – Africa
Lady Gaga – Bad Romance
R.E.M. – Losing My Religion
Red Hot Chili Peppers – Otherside
Blur – Girls and Boys
2Pac – Hit 'Em Up
New Order – Blue Monday

I'm sure there are more

Genteel Death 11.18.2012 11:05 AM

The Police - Invisible Sun
The Police - Wrapped Around Your Finger
Generation X - Heavens Inside

Severian 11.21.2012 08:16 PM

You Lost Me by Christina Aguilera
Photograph by Def Leppard
H by Tool
Galaxy by Blind Melon

the ikara cult 11.22.2012 07:49 PM

I may have mentioned this before in this thread, but its the first thing that springs to mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emGri7i8Y2Y

Genteel Death 09.22.2014 02:29 PM

Beck- Whiskeyclone, Hotel City 1997

The Soup Nazi 09.28.2014 08:09 PM

"Lost Cause" - Beck
"Set You Free" - The Black Keys
"Material Girl" - Madonna
"99 Problems" - Jay-Z

Just four for now.

Drjohnrock 10.09.2014 09:15 PM

Beyoncé - All The Single Ladies
Queen - Keep Yourself Alive
Joe Diffie - Third Rock From The Sun
John Mayer - No Such Thing
Violent Femmes - Add It Up (cue outrage from VF fans)
The Eagles - The Disco Strangler
Bee Gees - Edge Of The Universe
AC/DC - Nightprowler
Jefferson Starship - Sara (as long as I don't listen closely to the lyrics)
The Police - Message In A Bottle

louder 10.10.2014 12:45 AM

what makes "All The Single Ladies" different than other singles by Beyonce?

tw2113 10.10.2014 01:56 AM

Release date :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by louder

Drjohnrock 10.10.2014 07:30 AM

It sounds a bit more real to me than her other plastic, machine tooled corporate bullshit, as if someone involved in the creation of it might have listened to some real music at one time. But on the whole, she still sucks.

louder 10.13.2014 05:09 AM

real music

tw2113 02.26.2015 01:48 AM

Not a full list, but some to contribute.

Mr Brightside - The Killers
Toxic - Britney Spears
Just Like Paradise - David Lee Roth
The Cowboy Rides Away - George Strait

SonikJesus 02.28.2015 05:39 PM

nobody gives a shit. shut the fuck up

Severian 05.20.2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel
If I had to pick albums as apposed to singles I'd say the whole fucking chillwave scene. Every band was fucking awesome, and then they all went quite frankly downhill fast. Shit like washed out, mac demarco, beach fossils, best coast and before that wavves.

Wait, Wavves are chillwave? Half the time they sound like Green Day trying to sound like Nirvana. A quarter of the time they sound like Sebadoh, and a quarter of the time they sound like one of the infinite bands that has attempted to simultaneously sound like Sebadoh and Sonic Youth. How is that chillwave?

Also, what's chillwave? Lol

Severian 05.20.2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder

Uhhhh... first of all it's called "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on it)," and second, it's the fucking buzzsaw synths in the chorus that make it sound different than other Beyoncé singles.

I was just thinking about this track the other day. It's still dope, and it's damn near a decade old. It might have been Beyoncé's first really great song, and her only truly transcendent single. Even now (I see you made this comment years ago, so forgive my brashness, btw), with Bey being "acceptable" listening for people who otherwise listen to ... well... I guess Sonic Youth... it still stands as her most crizazzy banger. Per Wikipedia, it "uses hand claps, minor chords, spaced-out synthesizers, robotic effects and an ascending whistling in the background," all of which contributed to a unique sound that was probably more fizzy hip-hop than true R&B.

What caught my attention about it at the time (and, mind you, this was the first Beyoncé song I ever liked, or had any desire to listen to more than once) was how aggressive it sounded, particularly during the key change in the chorus. It has a lightning-in-a-bottle effect, and for Severian circa 2008, who was still reeling from a year-long Cryptograms bender, it sounded like the most refreshing thing in pop music.

'Course now it's a wedding song.

_slavo_ 05.22.2017 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Uhhhh... first of all it's called "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on it)," and second, it's the fucking buzzsaw synths in the chorus that make it sound different than other Beyoncé singles.

That song is fucking dope.

Severian 05.22.2017 08:56 AM

^^ see?

Even the great Slavo, a bonafide musical genius, knows "Single Ladies" kicks fucking ass.

The Soup Nazi 05.24.2017 04:10 PM

"Chillwave" is basically something for which people should apologize to Kevin Shields, mercilessly named as some kind of patron saint of this crap. I do like Best Coast's first album, though.

Severian 05.25.2017 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel
Have you heard Best Coasts last album? I turned it off midway through the 2nd song. They sound like generic american rock radio now. Weren't really chillwave but whatever.

If you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it?! Gold digger slut confirmed.

Yah, Best Coast is terrible. They had a nice contribution to that Space Project album, but they were outdone by Jason Pierce. Their "era" was (I say "was" because I think it's pretty much over) a really weird one for indie rock. The dying of the light was something, and rather than rage, Best Coast and other of their ilk decided to merely sloth against it.

The Soup Nazi 05.25.2017 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Yah, Best Coast is terrible. They had a nice contribution to that Space Project album, but they were outdone by Jason Pierce.

Well, they're not exactly comparable. :rolleyes: On the other hand, Bethany Cosentino (as Bethany Saraya, if I remember correctly) was in Pocahaunted (!), so I suppose she could come up with weird shit if she wanted. In any case, I stand by saying I like Crazy For You — good pop music that says what it has to say in half an hour. Boom.

Drjohnrock 05.25.2017 08:34 PM

Ten more:

Toby Keith - The List *
Sade - Smooth Operator
Grateful Dead - US Blues
Ray Peterson - Oklahoma City Times **
The Carpenters - Love Is Surrender (well, the lyrics at least--music and singing suck)
Joe Jackson - Steppin' Out
Tom T. Hall - What Have You Got To Lose ("try women and booze and the cigarette blues/what have you got to lose")
YG featuring Nipsey Hussle - Fuck Donald Trump
Lionel Richie - All Night Long
Billy Joel - Allentown

* I really hate admitting this. Still, the song would be a lot better if someone with real talent sang it.

**1970 song that Peterson wrote after his teen idol says were over. I saw him lip synch it on a television show that I have a crude cassette recording of. It is very different from and better than his maudlin ballads. The only other people who have heard of it are probably middle aged women who heard Bobby Sherman's version which I haven't heard but is likely inferior to Peterson's original. I'd like to hear other songs Peterson recorded around that time; maybe I can move him off my "people whose songs you generally don't like" list.

Whew, doing not one but two of these lists is a lot like work. I'm not inclined to do a third. I'd rather listen to and seek out good stuff than come up with good tunes by people whose music is usually toxic.

The Soup Nazi 05.25.2017 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drjohnrock
Sade - Smooth Operator

There were several Sade songs on that Steve Shelley playlist that was posted here years ago.

Drjohnrock 05.25.2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
There were several Sade songs on that Steve Shelley playlist that was posted here years ago.

Good Mr. Shelley and I will just have to agree to disagree on this.

evollove 05.26.2017 05:26 AM

"The Sweetest Taboo" is fantastic. There are about five Sade songs I'm crazy about.

Quote:

Billy Joel - Allentown

I'm not a massive Joel fan, but is this really the ONLY one you like?

Quote:

Toby Keith - The List *

Jesus fuck. Will I listen to this at some point today, out of curiosity? What list could he be talking about? A listen will only be a few minutes. But will those few minutes ruin me forever?

Drjohnrock 05.26.2017 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
"The Sweetest Taboo" is fantastic. There are about five Sade songs I'm crazy about.

I'm not a massive Joel fan, but is this really the ONLY one you like?

Jesus fuck. Will I listen to this at some point today, out of curiosity? What list could he be talking about? A listen will only be a few minutes. But will those few minutes ruin me forever?

I don't interpret the thread title as saying you only have to like one song by artists you don't usually care for. But I think Allentown might be his only really solid song. Piano Man is OK but has been played to death over the years. Only The Good Die Young is OK but too smarmy, like so much of his stuff. New York State Of Mind would, like the Toby Keith song, be better if sung by someone else. In fact, I remember hearing a jazz guy do a good version of it. I'll see if I can dig up the name.

As for Keith, the list contains errands and chores around the house he has to do. Again, the song would be a lot better if someone superior to him--and that's a pretty large group of singers-- sang it, as his delivery is kind of annoying. But don't worry. If you listen to the tune, you won't be tempted to wear a Make America Great Again hat or buy out the stock at the nearest gun shop. Honest. :)