Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Youth in Manchester and London (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=41549)

Nathen931 12.30.2010 09:51 PM

They played most of the eternal, if not all of it.
But also tom violence, catholic block, stereo sanctity, the sprawl, cross the breeze, and a few others
Then they ended on Death Valley 69.
Tom Violence was fucking amazing

Blue Eagle 12.31.2010 04:38 AM

Great show, wish I was going to London tonight now as well.

They fucked up a couple of times during the set though, 'Catholic Block' took three attempts to get right and Thurston missed some lines from one of the songs from Eternal. But still overall a good set. Over an hour and a half on stage which is the longest that I've seen them play as well.

Good support from The Pop Group as well - went down well.

kungfu 12.31.2010 04:44 AM

great gig!

grant2b 12.31.2010 05:07 AM

Oh god i cant wait for tonight! There's a rumour they are opening with Teenage Riot to bring in the new year... Here's hoping!

nicfit 12.31.2010 05:28 AM

"hello 2011!" on skip tracer.

grant2b 12.31.2010 05:31 AM

How about Washing Machine from start to finish? oh my i'd be in heaven. especially when Kim Deal comes out!

What was the merch like last night? can anyone fill me in? Any nice posters?

termsen 12.31.2010 06:41 AM

I would do anything to go back in time to see their washing machine tour gigs. No queens blues live ? Yes please!

termsen 12.31.2010 06:46 AM

I believe the setlist from Manchester will be pretty much the same in London.

Blue Eagle 12.31.2010 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grant2b
What was the merch like last night? can anyone fill me in? Any nice posters?

There were a couple of t-shirt designs behind the offical stall. Don't remember seeing any posters. The usual 'Goo' & 'Washing Machine' t's were being sold outside after the show by the hawkers.

dspu 12.31.2010 07:41 AM

Anyone have a spare ticket for tonight's show? We have one but desperately need another! Would be Eternal-y (geddit??!) grateful if you could call Spud 07717 803802

PAULYBEE2656 12.31.2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
so first time in Manhester and not for poxy Man Und, but Sonic Youth!

2nd biggest club in london!

toxic johnny 12.31.2010 09:18 AM

Just got back from Manchester... it was a great show, if a little rusty in places as has already been mentioned. Both Anti Orgasm and Antenna blew my mind and balls... definitely the best live versions that I've heard of those tunes... especially Antenna where Thurston and Lee exchanged some great moves that far surpasses the recorded version. Other highlights for me were Cross The Breeze and DV69 which are quite simply monumental live and never disappoint... I loved the outro w/Thurston swinging his lead to stunning aural effect.
Thurston dedicated a song to Ari Up but I can't remember which one. He also called The Pop Group "one of THE great British groups" and I must admit it was a little surreal for me to see them again after being lucky enough to catch them in the 70's supporting (and blowing offstage) Patti Smith.

Here is the full setlist:

No Way
Sacred Trickster
Calming The Snake
Tom Violence
Walkin' Blue
Leaky Lifeboat
Poison Arrow
Anti-Orgasm
Antenna
Catholic Block
Stereo Sanctity
What We Know
Massage The History

The Sprawl
Cross The Breeze

White Kross
DV69

Roll on tonight... I can't wait.

Greenlight I hope you made it !!!

grant2b 12.31.2010 09:26 AM

A higher power tells me they are going to play The Diamond Sea for half an hour as a special encore for new year.
That higher power is wishful thinking.

Might pick up a tshhirt. I love those screen printed posters in the merch section. Would be nice if they had one for tonight. Even a standard Strange Days one.

OMG i'm getting pumped... Been waiting 15 years for this. :)

termsen 12.31.2010 09:46 AM

nahh. i don think they will play diamond sea , but who knows..

grant2b 12.31.2010 09:52 AM

I do realise Diamond sea was never gonna happen past 96. That's the only problem with SY. Too much material. Never gonna hear everything you want to live. Especially as they always seem to stick to their latest record. That's pretty good too in my eyes.

termsen 12.31.2010 12:12 PM

anyway Happy New Year everybody here. I'm arranging my own private party. I'll be playing Diamond Sea at midnight

toxic johnny 12.31.2010 10:10 PM

Setlist for tonight:

Brother James
No Way
Sacred Trickster
Calming The Snake
Hey Joni
Anti-Orgasm
Poison Arrow
Schizophrenia
Antenna
What We Know
Massage The History

The Sprawl
Cross The Breeze

Kool Thing

Opening with Brother James around midnight with tinsel confetti falling from the ceiling was absolutely brilliant... I have never seen the New Year in in such a perfect way.
Also Kool Thing was a real celebratory and fun climax. Too fucked to write anymore now... but Shellac were also amazing.

Happy New Year !!!!!!

Moshe 12.31.2010 11:35 PM

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...956.1462277514

Moshe 01.01.2011 12:19 AM

http://follyfollyfolly.blogspot.com/...cademy-30.html

Moshe 01.01.2011 12:26 AM

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb... 7.11039052947

maropi 01.01.2011 07:20 AM

What did they say yesterday in London, about an event tonight in Domino's Square, or similar? My listening English is not great....

toxic johnny 01.01.2011 08:12 AM

I think that Thurston was referring to Shellac playing at The Garage at Midday today...

brokenviolin 01.01.2011 08:19 AM

no recordings of either surfaced yet??????

grant2b 01.01.2011 11:09 AM

Happy new year!
My last night was incredible. The sound was a bit washy i thought but i had a grin on my face the whole night. Excellent set. Kool Thing was very unexpected.

I would be interested in a recording too if anyone managed it.

Come back soon SY. I'll never miss another show...

maropi 01.01.2011 02:18 PM

Thanks for the info.

Rab 01.01.2011 05:06 PM

This was the 5th time I've seen Sonic Youth (1st was the Washing Machine tour) and this was by far the best. Kim on guitar (or 2nd bass) has improved the live sound and adds brilliantly to the cacophony of noise. They also looked to be really up for it and having fun.

Thurston: 'Lee is going to sing a song about Steve Albini's panties.'

Lee: 'That's a very dark place.'

[Before going into 'What We Know'.]

mil_pl 01.01.2011 06:12 PM

Sounds like you all had a great time there.

skater130 01.01.2011 07:27 PM

we did.

me. 01.02.2011 11:48 AM

Looks like a great night..

stu666 01.02.2011 01:12 PM

i just got back from London, it was my fifth time seeing Sonic Youth and one of the best too. i loved hearing Brother James to start and Kool Thing to end it all. Shellac were really good aswell and i got to go their midday show on Saturday too. best new years ever!

nancykitten 01.02.2011 01:44 PM

FANTASTIC STUFF!

I think these were my seventh and eighth times seeing the Youth.

It was a bit Eternal-heavy, and I'm getting a little tired of hearing those songs live now; but then that's because I've seen them so many times since that album was released.

Manchester was probably the better show of the two, but London was the more 'special' and unique.

I really appreciated all the noisy old stuff they played in Manchester: Catholic Block; White Cross; Stereo Sanctity; Tom Violence; DV '69.

The song Thurston dedicated to Ari Up was Antenna -- I really appreciated that, since I'm a massive Slits fan. The live version of Antenna is so much better than the album version: it's really evolved well.

Did anyone else feel a little choked-up when the New Year started with the confetti falling and bursting into a brutal Brother James? I cannot think of a better way to kickstart a brand new year than that!

Kim Gordon saying "Thanks to Steve Albini.. for being such an asshole" was hilarious. You knew they wouldn't let him get away with those comments a few months back! She also said something immediately afterwards, something like "it's always good to...." -- take the higher moral ground, or something? I couldn't make out what she said.

London was also the first time I ever had the chance to see/hear Schizophrenia live, which was a complete treat. Closing with the rare Kool Thing was a perfect choice; it's such a fun song, and perfect for that celebratory setting.

And Daydream Nation songs are ALWAYS welcome: 'Cross the Breeze, Hey Joni, The Sprawl. Teen Age Riot and Silver Rocket are always sorely missed, though. But their discography is so rich that you can never get everything you want!

The Pop Group were excellent both nights, and Shellac was so wild and chaotic that they almost stole the show in London. No Dog and Pony Show or Prayer to God from the latter, though, but they did do an instrumental new song, and the always-killer The End of Radio. A Minute and Squirrel Song were great as well.

toxic johnny 01.02.2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancykitten

Did anyone else feel a little choked-up when the New Year started with the confetti falling and bursting into a brutal Brother James? I cannot think of a better way to kickstart a brand new year than that!

Totally agree... I was thinking about it earlier today and almost welled up. I will never forget it. the vibe was amazing.

Moshe 01.03.2011 03:48 AM

http://philsbootlegs.blogspot.com/

stu666 01.03.2011 03:57 AM

thanks Moshe!

stu666 01.03.2011 04:09 AM

http://www.popupmusic.pl/no/29/galer...-factory-floor

blunderbuss 01.03.2011 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe

Fuck me, this is a brilliant site! I've wanted a recording of Branca's Guitar Swarm for.... well, ever since it happened.

freezerburn 01.03.2011 09:31 AM

Went to both dates, and both dates completely blew my head off. Enjoyed London a lot more though since I got to ring in the new year with my favourite band, I was also seated so had a perfect view of everything whereas I was standing in Manchester and felt a little out the way, also the sound at the Hammersmith was miles better and I felt they played a lot better as well even though the set was considerably shorter than the previous night. Kool Thing was mindblowing, Kim's dancing was incredible <3 also, I may have misheard but during Kool Thing, did Kim make a dig at people wearing their shirts from Topshop/H&M without knowing who they were? Did anyone else catch that or am I just a dick?

Anyway yeah, completely made up about seeing them now, I've waited ages for it and they exceeded expectations to say the least, I know they were gonna be amazing but. Loved the setlist as well, I really like The Eternal so wasn't fussed that it was slightly dominant throughout the set. Over the two nights I heard Catholic Block, Tom Violence, Schizophrenia, 'Cross The Breeze, Hey Joni, Death Valley '69, White Kross, The Sprawl, Kool Thing and Brother James though, so the older stuff was well and truly there.

Also, in relation to what someone posted before about choking up when they first came on, YES a thousand times. It was so wonderful seeing them burst onto the stage, Thurston with a bottle of champagne and going into the countdown, then the confetti and Brother James made me well up, couldn't believe I was actually there.

rappard 01.03.2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe

Thanks you fascist Zionist pig! Already in contact with the taper to get raw wav dumps of most of his interesting stuff.

Oh (1x), and best wishes for 2011 everyone!

Oh oh (2x): happy birthday Moshe!

greenlight 01.03.2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rappard
Thanks you fascist Zionist pig! Already in contact with the taper to get raw wav dumps of most of his interesting stuff.

Oh (1x), and best wishes for 2011 everyone!

Oh oh (2x): happy birthday Moshe!

@Moshe: thanks!
@rappard: i was just about, so you'll take care of sharing with us raw files? sorted. cheers.

http://flowersandcream.blogspot.com/...mmersmith.html

pad_023 01.03.2011 04:47 PM

Thanks for the Bootleg.

I thought it was a great show. I really enjoyed it. Hey Joni and Schizophrenia were both fantastic.