Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Youth in Dublin (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31948)

Keeping It Simple 09.17.2009 07:12 AM

Ryanair are selling return tickets to Dublin from Stansted Airport in the UK for only £1 as from Oct! So there really is no excuse for not going.

Mako 09.26.2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris2159
Thanks for the info, could you let me know the name of the shop and I'll try and give them a phone call. ( I live in England so wouldn't be able to check it out in person.)

I checked, they did not have any man. But I asked in Tower records and they said it was not sold out but they did not sell tickets. Are you sure ticketmaster are out?

chris2159 09.26.2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mako
I checked, they did not have any man. But I asked in Tower records and they said it was not sold out but they did not sell tickets. Are you sure ticketmaster are out?

Thanks very much for the information, it gives me a bit of hope. Ticketmasters automated phone line says they have none but I'll talk to one of their staff on the phone line instead.

Silver_Rocket 10.11.2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
who or where are glass rock from, never heard of em....

brooklyn new york, checked them on myspace, they sound decent!

greenlight 10.28.2009 12:35 PM

so what's your experience with this venue and its security lads? never visited it. is it like everywhere around Dublin (quiete ok)? do they check bags? will it be easy to smuggle in videocamera?

whorefrost 10.28.2009 12:45 PM

I am intent on going to this.

Alan ciccone 10.28.2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
so what's your experience with this venue and its security lads? never visited it. is it like everywhere around Dublin (quiete ok)? do they check bags? will it be easy to smuggle in videocamera?

Depends how big your camera is. you'll get it into the venue However the venue is small and there is usually a decent amount of heavies around. I would imagine you would easily get caught while using it.

greenlight 10.29.2009 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan ciccone
Depends how big your camera is. you'll get it into the venue However the venue is small and there is usually a decent amount of heavies around. I would imagine you would easily get caught while using it.

cheers. no. ones they are not checking bags coming in and you can get it through, it's ok. I doubt they would be solving it after. well that's my experience. I've seen lots of people shooting with cameras over here no bother, myself included, in different venues but and I haven't seen security complaining, which I found very cool, compare to other countries I've been. bit strict on the way into the venue....especially in Norway for some reason. they've been soooo fussy about it all. feckers. norway girls are georgeous but :).

Alan ciccone 10.29.2009 06:32 PM

Well it's definitely the nicest venue in the City. hopefully they wont be dicks on the night

greenlight 10.30.2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost
I am intent on going to this.

I thought you're gone to States.

whorefrost 10.30.2009 04:36 PM

I'm back in le bonne Skallin, have been for some time, son.

greenlight 10.30.2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost
I'm back in le bonne Skallin, have been for some time, son.

I see.

Mako 10.31.2009 09:51 AM

Quote:

I would think it is fine. The venue is very smll and personal, and the stage is small, The bands are right in front of you and any time I have been there the security has been nice and relaxed. Sure in Japan they don't let you video in the night clubs!, the ones I was in anyhow, very amusing if annoying to boot.

cagedbird 11.04.2009 11:23 PM

i am curious about sy stage banter with the irish audience. any experiences from the past you care to share?

Alan ciccone 11.05.2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cagedbird
i am curious about sy stage banter with the irish audience. any experiences from the past you care to share?

When Thurston was here touring 'trees outside the academy' he was talking about when he was younger that he lived in Dubin for a while and how he liked it a lot and asking what pub we were going to afterwards.

I was too young to go to the show but I have the bootleg, at sunstroke in '93 I believe, They were slagging off Faith no more who were headlining

PAULYBEE2656 11.06.2009 05:53 AM

yep they were indeed slagging off faith no more at sunstroke....and yes it was 93....and any hope of an upload of that bootleg?

kim responded to my taunt at the electric picnic in 07 about a free kitten reunion by saying "thanks for the money..... the teeshirt"..i was wearin the thurston nihghtmare before christmas tee.

ive never seen em inside a venue with no separation between the stage and the crowd so my expectations of vicar st are quite high to be honest!.....

rich...try and blag a press pass off someone or some magazine for the gig.... just an option!

rossboss 11.06.2009 06:39 AM

Quote:

yep they were indeed slagging off faith no more at sunstroke....and yes it was 93....and any hope of an upload of that bootleg?

kim responded to my taunt at the electric picnic in 07 about a free kitten reunion by saying "thanks for the money..... the teeshirt"..i was wearin the thurston nihghtmare before christmas tee.

ive never seen em inside a venue with no separation between the stage and the crowd so my expectations of vicar st are quite high to be honest!.....

rich...try and blag a press pass off someone or some magazine for the gig.... just an option!

I remember that!, that was you Paulybee! nice one!

cagedbird 11.07.2009 12:14 AM

thanks for all the feedback about the banter. i have a neurotic fantasy in which sy get very political about irish nationalism. but i am just a confused irish american. i should have planned a trip to dublin to see 'em.

PAULYBEE2656 11.10.2009 07:14 AM

ha!! better than kim deals irish nationalist comment in the stadium in dublin in 1990..

"so, we are playing in belfast tomorrow night....should we bring our guns????"

john k 11.10.2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

ha!! better than kim deals irish nationalist comment in the stadium in dublin in 1990..

"so, we are playing in belfast tomorrow night....should we bring our guns????"

that was in the Point in 91

greenlight 11.10.2009 10:54 AM

g I wish they'd play Olympia.....I'm happy they play they play their own indoor gig, just have to moan about something. you know. hehehe.

sergisonic 11.10.2009 12:23 PM

which are the best areas for looking for hotels?

PAULYBEE2656 11.10.2009 01:08 PM

go for a jurys inn in christchurch,thats nearby the venue or browse here...

PAULYBEE2656 11.10.2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john k
that was in the Point in 91

sure???? maybe you are right but i was at both and im certain it was the stadium.....anyhoo could be wrong....

john k 11.11.2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

sure???? maybe you are right but i was at both and im certain it was the stadium.....anyhoo could be wrong....

i was at both too and i have recordings of both gigs and it was defo at the point.

greenlight 11.11.2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

i was at both too and i have recordings of both gigs and it was defo at the point.

any chance to share them on utkonos? are they in mp3 or flacs?

john k 11.11.2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

any chance to share them on utkonos? are they in mp3 or flacs?

cassette tape

greenlight 11.11.2009 02:22 PM

i'll send you pm later

PAULYBEE2656 11.13.2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

right you are! my mistake!!!

i have the two cassette recordings somewhere as well..the point one is damn good except im missing rock music and the stadium one is shocking quality...both bought on o connell bridge in dublin from a seedy guy watching for the fuzz!!! those were the days.... pre blog bootleggersand day glo covers!!!

Alan ciccone 11.13.2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

right you are! my mistake!!!

i have the two cassette recordings somewhere as well..the point one is damn good except im missing rock music and the stadium one is shocking quality...both bought on o connell bridge in dublin from a seedy guy watching for the fuzz!!! those were the days.... pre blog bootleggersand day glo covers!!!

Rhythm records used to have a whole display of those Day glo bootlegs. got some great stuff there.

stu666 11.13.2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

it's good to share

PAULYBEE2656 11.14.2009 08:32 AM

jesus rhythm...forgot about that place....just on the quays yeah? remember when borderline was half decent as well?

greenlight 11.14.2009 11:45 AM

i had a gig from Dublin from the Thousand Leaves era, which I bought in small record shop just across the International pub. it doesn§t exist anymore. guy had every fucking gig from Dublin. he was da man! I don't have it anymore. had in my old micra, which got stolen together with my priceless bootlegs....aghrrr.

Alan ciccone 11.14.2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

jesus rhythm...forgot about that place....just on the quays yeah? remember when borderline was half decent as well?

god yeah and all they sold was bootlegs. it was such an experience the first time I walked in their and discovered unreleased material from so many bands

Alan ciccone 11.14.2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

i had a gig from Dublin from the Thousand Leaves era, which I bought in small record shop just across the International pub. it doesn§t exist anymore. guy had every fucking gig from Dublin. he was da man! I don't have it anymore. had in my old micra, which got stolen together with my priceless bootlegs....aghrrr.

Was that the basement shop beside the newsagent? the guy who owned that was amazing. always up for haggling

PAULYBEE2656 11.14.2009 12:59 PM

record collector yeah???? i loved that shop but his prices were stupidly exaggerated... i used to manage laser video store around the corner so i frequented that place quite a bit. as for borderline, it must be the only place where they still stock picture discs!!!

we will not mention comet......

freebird, great place to just stand at the counter and watch my mate abuse people buying menswear and shed seven records (sorry john if you are reading this!!!) ;-)

do you remember that place at the back of georges arcade..... cant remember the name, real ignorant staff but stunning stuff in the shop...it closed around 1995/6 as far as i remember. always had a cool negativland poster at the door ....

john k 11.15.2009 09:58 AM

jesus lads, reading these posts is like reliving my youth. where have all the dodgy bootleggers gone ?

Alan ciccone 11.15.2009 07:08 PM

I don't remember the georges street arcade one I'm afraid. I had a nice surprise yesterday though when i noticed road records open again. I thought they were dead and gone. nice to have at least one good independent store left.

Alan ciccone 11.15.2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

ki

I will gladly upload it if you or someone can advise me the best way to digitise an audio cassette.

sy2004 11.16.2009 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan ciccone
I will gladly upload it if you or someone can advise me the best way to digitise an audio cassette.

http://lifehacker.com/222394/alpha-g...cassette-tapes