Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Favorite Sub Pop Artist of all time? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=818)

PunkerViolence 04.13.2006 04:57 AM

Beaat Happening

Isoflurane 04.13.2006 06:32 AM

Yonkers
Mudhoney
Green River
Nirvana
Nobody has mentioned SY?

fishmonkey 04.13.2006 06:38 AM

Sebadoh... Mudhoney = POO

telenoise 04.13.2006 10:31 AM

elevator aka elevator to hell aka elevator through

Inhuman 04.13.2006 10:56 AM

Sunny Day Real Estate, Wolf Eyes, Nirvana, Comets on Fire

emma blowgun 04.13.2006 10:31 PM

I'm old skool, so it's all about Mudhoney and Nirvana.

I just heard "Bleach" being played in a bar a few weeks ago - hadn't heard it in many years. I forgot how much it rocks.

Tickerwelly 04.14.2006 06:56 PM

Comets On Fire
Nirvana

sonicpollution 04.14.2006 07:38 PM

So thanks to everyone who put Comets on Fire on the list....I'd never heard of them before (yeah, I'm sheltered), but I checked them out last night and they were very cool.

Savage Clone 04.14.2006 07:46 PM

They are one of the best rock bands on earth right now.

truncated 04.14.2006 08:00 PM

Would someone mind explaining to me why I shouldn't think Sebadoh sucks monkey cock? People big them up all the time, and I'm just not feelin' it.

Same goes for Sunny Day Real Estate, in fact. Have I suddenly been struck with bad taste?

sonicpollution 04.14.2006 11:00 PM

I don't much care for either of them truth be told...just not really my style. I wouldn't go so far to call them "bad" bands though.

Everyneurotic 04.15.2006 12:03 AM

i haven't got into sebadoh either

and i don't give a shit if you people don't like the same bands that i like. for example, i like sunnny day but i don't care of you guys do too

in fact, why the fuck is this dumb thread still alive?

Protectmeyou 04.15.2006 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grungenotdead?
mudhoney, without them sub pop wouldnt exist

I don't know how you draw that conclusion considering Soundgarden were the first band to release records on Subpop and Green River (Mark Arms band prior to Mudhoney) were the second

khchris(original) 04.15.2006 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truncated
Would someone mind explaining to me why I shouldn't think Sebadoh sucks monkey cock? People big them up all the time, and I'm just not feelin' it.

Same goes for Sunny Day Real Estate, in fact. Have I suddenly been struck with
bad taste?

Suddenly struck, or maybe just realizing it?

Sebadoh connects with people for certain reasons, mostly because of lyric content and honesty. Also, Sebadoh's been around for a while, so you may be too young to really appreciate what an incredible band they were back in the early 90s.

khchris(original) 04.15.2006 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i haven't got into sebadoh either

and i don't give a shit if you people don't like the same bands that i like. for example, i like sunnny day but i don't care of you guys do too

in fact, why the fuck is this dumb thread still alive?

Better question should be, "why are you even here on the thread?"

khchris(original) 04.15.2006 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protectmeyou
I don't know how you draw that conclusion considering Soundgarden were the first band to release records on Subpop and Green River (Mark Arms band prior to Mudhoney) were the second

Totally.

Screaming Life was incredible.

Savage Clone 04.15.2006 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khchris(original)
Suddenly struck, or maybe just realizing it?

Sebadoh connects with people for certain reasons, mostly because of lyric content and honesty. Also, Sebadoh's been around for a while, so you may be too young to really appreciate what an incredible band they were back in the early 90s.

I saw them in the early 90s and they were fucking awful.
That was honestly one of the worst shows I saw in that whole time period, and Lou gave off a vibe of contempt for his own audience that I have seldom seen. When you combine that with the fact that about 5% of that music is even remotely listenable 10 years down the line (this stuff has aged TERRIBLY), I have to say that I also find the fact that people carry a torch for this band very odd.

"Incredible band in the early 90s?" I say no.

truncated 04.15.2006 09:23 AM

I'm not necessarily dumping Sebadoh in the general category of "bad" - I simply could never see why they had such devout fans. Ordinarily I can see the appeal that many bands I dislike have to others (goddamn subjectivity again), but this one just escapes me. I was certainly not trying to be contentious by asking what their appeal is - I was genuinely curious.

EMMAh 04.15.2006 11:52 AM

~ The Jesus and Mary Chain
~ L7 (Why has no one mentioned them?)
~ Soundgarden
~ Nirvana
~ Beat Happening

dazedcola 04.15.2006 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicpollution
So thanks to everyone who put Comets on Fire on the list....I'd never heard of them before (yeah, I'm sheltered), but I checked them out last night and they were very cool.

you can download a video of them doing "whiskey river" live off thurston's ecstatic peace website.

http://ecstaticpeace.com/2005downloads.html