Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Whitney Houston RIP (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=72997)

jon boy 02.16.2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I haven't read it yet, but thank you for making my life complete already. You are one of the very best.

be afraid, be very afraid.

Genteel Death 02.16.2012 06:29 PM

I. Am. Very. Afraid.

gmku 02.16.2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pelle
though, I must say I don't give a shit.

She was a junky and probably had it coming.
I just hope the hope wont stay as long as when Michael Jackson died. That sucked (for people who absolutely don't give a shit).

How can you be so insensitive? Show some respect for the dead.

gmku 02.16.2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Grandad becomes really nervous when he sees threads about people dying. I wonder why.

As he should be. Poor guy. Is he a junky?

Genteel Death 02.16.2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
As he should be. Poor guy. Is he a junky?

Nah, he's an idiot.

gmku 02.16.2012 06:43 PM

Even worse, then. All the more to be pitied than scorned.

evollove 02.16.2012 07:30 PM

Here's the thing:

In the paper today there was a heartfelt editorial. "Whitney provided the soundtrack to my life."

And I'm like, "That's fucking sad. Vacuous pop from a mediocre talent who had absolutely nothing original to say to the world? That's your soundtrack?"

Unfortunate she died, however she died? Yeah, sure. I guess. But before I weep for her, I'll weep for the death of--let's face it--other people more talented and actually important than that dipshit could ever dream of being.

Lucian Freud died back in July 2011. Remember how everyone was talking about it, how cable news went on and on with endless tributes, how the internet roared with mourning?

Of course not. So I'm tempted to agree that I don't really care about WH's death one way or the other. Maybe that's unfair. Maybe the attention given to her life and death over the life and death of real artists is the fault of our "culture." Whatever. Fuck her, anyway.

floatingslowly 02.16.2012 07:47 PM

Every Whitney's like a setting sun. :'(

jennthebenn 02.16.2012 07:50 PM

Death isn't a contest. My sister buried her husband this week, and it
doesn't make me think of how pathetic it is that the world doesn't stop
and bemoan his passing. It makes me think of finality and sorrow.

Death represents the unknown to me, and I have always respected the
unknown. This is where someone chimes in with, "Uh, we already know
what happens when you die--NOTHING." You'll have to pardon me, I am
an old woman. How old? Old enough to know that I know very little
indeed.

jennthebenn 02.16.2012 07:51 PM

Anyway, blah blah, don't I have a Snoopy shrine to go genuflect in
front of?

gmku 02.16.2012 08:07 PM

It is something all men have done before you, all men will do. Perhaps Ernest Hemingway's wisdom will help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cMOW...&feature=share

floatingslowly 02.16.2012 10:03 PM

I promise, you fucking saps, death isn't that bad.

Fucking linear apes.

Lets talk more about drugs. Do you reckon she had the good ones or got more kicks by feeling cheap?

I say good...then cheap.

the ikara cult 02.16.2012 10:33 PM

A bet of £48 going no higher will henceforth becomes known as a "Whitney", which is more of an impact than ive had on the world

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.16.2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Here's the thing:

In the paper today there was a heartfelt editorial. "Whitney provided the soundtrack to my life."

And I'm like, "That's fucking sad. Vacuous pop from a mediocre talent who had absolutely nothing original to say to the world? That's your soundtrack?"

Unfortunate she died, however she died? Yeah, sure. I guess. But before I weep for her, I'll weep for the death of--let's face it--other people more talented and actually important than that dipshit could ever dream of being.
\.

Wow, do you even know who Whitney Houston is?

You should join up with gmku, he is working on selling 100,000,001 records, when you get 100,000,002 you can criticize Whitney Houston's "talent" or lack there of..

floatingslowly 02.16.2012 10:47 PM

I think you just said sales = talent.

I think.

floatingslowly 02.16.2012 10:49 PM

You did.

Woah.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.16.2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I think you just said sales = talent.

I think.

no, what I said is somebody can't possibly sell 100,000,000 records without having talent, and anyone who thinks whitney houston had no talent is just hatin plain and simple..

her talent speaks for itself

further, she sold so many records because she meant a lot to so many people, and if she wasn't our particular SYG kind of music, we shouldn't just scoff at what we don't understand, she is hardly a one-hit-wonder imitation pop star from The Voice II. People should have more respect than simply to troll around on someone's grave and legacy

Glice 02.17.2012 09:29 AM

She was a good singer. She made some great records. I liked very few of them. So I stay out of this thread, because it would be insincere of me to say anything.

Predictably, someone's trying to be really fucking cool and slagging off someone who's dead for reasons that had almost nothing to do with her. Maybe someone else should've sold that many records. But they didn't. Maybe someone else should be that famous. But they weren't.

All I'm saying is that the quality of asinine and impotent sniping on this forum really needs to up its game. Slagging off Whitney Houston... what next, George Bush isn't that great threads? Pricks.

RIP Whitters.

evollove 02.17.2012 10:14 AM

Predictably you missed the point.

Glice 02.17.2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Predictably you missed the point.

Predictably, fuck off.