Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Your Parent's music taste (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3746)

Pookie 07.05.2006 09:46 AM

I think it's just a matter of being more selective.

At least we've got the internet now. When I was young all I had to listen to was one radio show (John Peel) if I wanted to hear new music. Otherwise it was just buy something & take the risk that it would be worth it.

Unrelated: I've just spilt ICE cold water down my back. I swear my heart stopped beating for about 5 seconds.

shentov 07.05.2006 10:13 AM

first to say cool idea for a thread. or at least fun to read. my dad is in heavy metal stuff mostly, but he also introduced me to bands like pink floyd, rush, black sabbath and nirvana. nirvana itself got me out of the doors/60's shit cycle to the higher stage of punk. actually it was very good for me to listen to all my dad's 80's hair metal records. i just listened what i had at home when i was kid, so i was switchin between fucking judas priest and my mom's beatles tapes. the beatles appear to have been huge influence for my mother when she was a teenager, but by far her taste in music starts and ends with kansas' dust in the wind when she is on half bottle of white wine. she asking me to play/sing this song with my crappy acoustic- it was a fucking torture!
when i started to get into so called grunge and punk rock there were these constant conflicts between me and my metalhead father. actually i became very good of a speaker back in these days, so usually he had to admit "circle jerks are a good band" or "kurt cobain can play the guitar" or "manowar is a gay gym team in furs". now i think it was all good to have listened tons of heavy metal, glamorous 70's hair rock dudes or retarded hippie stuff, people (especially older than me) are sometimes shocked I know some godforgotten metal band and shamefully lots of facts about them. also i got some taste in metal music. like, napalm death:)

^^ damn what a huge post.

Rob Instigator 07.05.2006 10:32 AM

MANOWAR IS a gay gym team in fur!

hahhahaha!

My mom loves Puerto Rican music, balads, salsa, and merengues. She is a huge early beatles fan. being born in 41, she got to listen to the early beatles and lost interest when they got "psychedelic". she loves The Bee Gees (the whole of the beegees, not just the saturday nigth fever stuff, she loves Neil Diamond (I bought her 12 neil diamon albums on ebay for her birthday once. she freaked out! she also loves Neil Sedaka, the Platters, Paul Anka is her fave. she wa sthe youngest of 9 kids so when she was in her early twenties she listened to her bros and sis' old records from the fifties, frankie avalon and the platters and stuff like that. I remember every saturday morning in puerto rico she would clean the house to the saturday night fever soundtrack.

my dad listened to classical music, puerto rican music, not really any rock at all.

Rob Instigator 07.05.2006 10:33 AM

Oh, and no matter what people say, neil diamond writes some killer hooks. ha!

hat and beard 07.05.2006 10:34 AM

my dad doesn't listen to music. ever.

my mom loves anything brazillian, especially caetano veloso, which is OK by me.

gmku 07.05.2006 10:45 AM

I was thinking about making my dad an SY mix tape. "It's based in swing jazz, Dad." Wonder how he'd react?

LittlePuppetBoy 07.05.2006 12:33 PM

I have no problem with my parent's music at all, I actually enjoy most of it (listening to some ol' REM right now).

However, whenever my dad buys or recieves a new cd, he has a habit of playing it over and over and over and over....and over,......and ....over AGAIN until something new comes up. When he got the latest Coldplay disk, it was practically the soundtrack to his summer, played it any chance he got. It got boring fast. However, the Arcade Fire cd I got him for his birthday is the only one I don't mind him playing over again. This behaviour really bugs my mom

Rob Instigator 07.05.2006 12:34 PM

I hate it when someone plays just ONE SONG off of an album over and over and over again. I want to crush their foreheads

gmku 07.05.2006 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy
I have no problem with my parent's music at all, I actually enjoy most of it (listening to some ol' REM right now).

However, whenever my dad buys or recieves a new cd, he has a habit of playing it over and over and over and over....and over,......and ....over AGAIN until something new comes up. When he got the latest Coldplay disk, it was practically the soundtrack to his summer, played it any chance he got. It got boring fast. However, the Arcade Fire cd I got him for his birthday is the only one I don't mind him playing over again. This behaviour really bugs my mom

Well... I have to admit, I do the same thing. I'm obsessive over new stuff I like a lot. But I try not to bug the family about it by doing a lot of headphone listening.

greenbird 07.05.2006 04:02 PM

My Mom got me into Miles Davis Bitches Brew era, and gave me a 1st printing of Sgt. Peppers on vinyl in perfect condition that she got as a kid.

gmku 07.05.2006 04:04 PM

Your mom is cool.

Pax Americana 07.05.2006 04:24 PM

My dad listens to a lot of old folk rock kinda stuff, Gordon Lightfoot, Simon and Garfunkel, etc... He's into some classic rock bands from back in the day as well. He likes Zepplin, the Beatles, Cream.

Mom doesn't actively listen to much music anymore. But she used to be into pretty much anything. She's seen everyone from Cher to Prince to Madonna to Neil Diamond live.

My step dad once saw Johnny Cash live. He said it was the most boring show he's ever been to in his life.

Toilet & Bowels 07.05.2006 06:33 PM

anyone who got into sonic youth through their parents is too young.

Laila 07.05.2006 07:11 PM

My mom bought me my first cd ever. It was Led zeppelin

k-krack 07.05.2006 07:18 PM

my parents like there share of shit.. bon jovi comes to mind. my mom lieks nirvana though, and sometimes in the car ill slip in Mogwai or GY!BE or something post-rocky and she'll casually ask who it is (code for "this is good") lots of stuff i slip in she doesnt like so much (pavement, AIDS Wolf..)

TheDom 07.05.2006 07:48 PM

My mom is a big Bowie and Yes fan. Just old rock like that.

My dad is like pure motown. and Stevie Wonder. and DEAN MARTIN

youthoftomorrow 07.05.2006 09:43 PM

my dad likes the typical rock stuff from his era: Creem, Zep, Eagles, etc. he's also a huge Grateful Dead fan (which is sort of odd seeing as i doubt he's ever done drugs once). he has some Bela Fleck albums, too. he borrowed Daydream Nation from me once, and he only liked "Total Trash".

my mom likes Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Dixie Chicks, and a bunch of other crap that i don't like.

LittlePuppetBoy 07.06.2006 12:22 PM

I forgot to mention my dad's a mowtown and Yes fan (he has 2 dvds of them)

gmku 07.06.2006 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy
I forgot to mention my dad's a mowtown and Yes fan (he has 2 dvds of them)

What a strange combination!

afterthefact 07.06.2006 12:30 PM

My dad was always more of a classic rock guy, he loved like CCR and stuff, and my mom, she likes all kinds of stuff, like she really likes Flaming Lips, Wilco, Sondre Lerche, and stuff like that, and she's a big Joan Armatrading (sp?) fan.