Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Make a blatant comment on the current state of SYG. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35554)

floatingslowly 10.30.2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
This is the sort of comments that generally try to justify the bad state of things, while ending up condoning it, for whatever reason. What ''there's no point in talking about music here'' can possibly mean on a forum dedicated to a band, not a motorcycle or a dishwasher? Of course people chat about whatever tickles their fancy on the non-sonics section, it's there for that reason, but two-thirds of this forum are meant for music-related things, and it's been a while since the activity on there (the non-sonic sounds especially) has scaled down due to the overwhelming amount of mutual masturbation that goes on here daily. Fair enough, it's an internet forum like there a million others (I post on another two regularly), albeit one of one my favourite bands.

I'm not trying to justify or condone anything. that would imply that I had a vested interest in the non-sonic sounds section. I don't. saying that it feels like prickery doesn't mean that I'd want it to continue as such. again, don't care so much about that sub-forum. when I want to talk about music, I do it "IRL".

what I meant by "there is no point" is: to many music threads become about who posted what first. there's too much perception of intellectual ownership here.

Rob Instigator 10.30.2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I'm not trying to justify or condone anything. that would imply that I had a vested interest in the non-sonic sounds section. I don't. saying that it feels like prickery doesn't mean that I'd want it to continue as such. again, don't care so much about that sub-forum. when I want to talk about music, I do it "IRL".

what I meant by "there is no point" is: to many music threads become about who posted what first. there's too much perception of intellectual ownership here.

I posted that first yo.

floatingslowly 10.30.2009 10:38 AM

listen to Thuderbolt Pagoda.

Dead-Air 10.30.2009 10:41 AM

It's a message board and a pretty good one. Good enough that a lot of the regulars seem to come to ridiculously high expectations for a message board. Bad idea to have those sort of expectations for a human being, for a message board, just silly.

Genteel Death 10.30.2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Hang on a second, you don't have any interest in the non-sonic sounds section, yet you know there is too much ''intellectual ownership'' on the threads posted on it, and are filled with ''who posted what first'' attitude?

Genteel Death 10.30.2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
It's a message board and a pretty good one. Good enough that a lot of the regulars seem to come to ridiculously high expectations for a message board. Bad idea to have those sort of expectations for a human being, for a message board, just silly.

I disagree with this. Some posters, unlike others, have high expectations because of the band in question, not particualrly because of most SY fans posting on their forum. I am only guessing, I would never be able to know that for sure.

And even if one has high expectations because of SY, there are different types of fan on here. I, for one, don't care for listening to every single fart Thurston Moore or Lee Ranaldo produce live, others do. Some other fans get particularly emotional if someone says that Kim Gordon regularly wets her bed. I don't, others don't, some do etc etc.

noisereductions 10.30.2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I posted that first yo.

hahaha

floatingslowly 10.30.2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Hang on a second, you don't have any interest in the non-sonic sounds section, yet you know there is too much ''intellectual ownership'' on the threads posted on it, and are filled with ''who posted what first'' attitude?

yeah, because clicking is such a total commitment, right?

Genteel Death 10.30.2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

yeah, because clicking is such a total commitment, right?

It must be, apparently, since you obviously click on every single thread posted on there.

jon boy 10.30.2009 11:58 AM

too much self obsession.

Satan 10.30.2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
floslo, if you do so, then either get THA CARTER II if you want to hear a stunning album beginning-to-end, or get DEDICATION 2 if you want to hear a stunning mixtape beginning-to-end. Although CARTER II will not feature DJ Drama's annoying yelling between tracks.

gucci mane's mixtapes SLAY weezy.

noisereductions 10.30.2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan
gucci mane's mixtapes SLAY weezy.

only Gucci I have is MURDER WAS THE CASE. It's alright. I'm not a huge fan, but I haven't heard much.

Satan 10.30.2009 12:10 PM

gucci is completely ridiculous in the best way.

he said 'i stay high like giraffe pussy'

noisereductions 10.30.2009 12:13 PM

haha nice.

notyourfiend 10.30.2009 01:13 PM

This board would be more interesting if ppl like Jenn made more regular posts.

Trasher02 10.30.2009 01:20 PM

Lately there's been a lack of breasteses/nudity.

davenotdead 10.30.2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trasher02
Lately there's been a lack of breasteses/femnudity.

qft. [how do we make this comment invisible to sway?]

chicka 10.30.2009 01:26 PM

I find this place Kick-Ass. I've been turned on to a lot of new music. Seen some incredible art work, some real intelligence from some poster some real hilarious stuff here as well. I've learnt new software tricks. I've witness folks bear their soul and other jump into help, how cool is that? Sure you have some trolling and he said she said but for the amount of good stuff I get here I rate this place a 9. Thanks for making me feel young again:cool::cool:

noisereductions 10.30.2009 01:27 PM

204 posts. Yr still new here. Someone will piss you off eventually. Maybe it'll be me for pointing out yr low post-count. That makes me a prick, apparently. :)

Trasher02 10.30.2009 01:31 PM

Also, SYGmembers are spending too much time on discussing music! I mean, whatever happened to making informative/useful/personal threads that everyone just loves to read!