Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   lil wayne's ROCK album? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=29191)

atsonicpark 01.30.2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
someone who really knows what they are doing, like trent reznor.

...huh?

viewtiful_alan 01.30.2009 05:32 PM

Dont understand why you are confused

acousticrock87 01.30.2009 05:33 PM

He might think Reznor isn't brilliant. Tsk tsk.

atsonicpark 01.30.2009 05:33 PM

Um, okay.

Trent hasn't done anything good since "broken" and like a random song here or there. Nine Inch Nails's entire reason for existence is that awesome video where the dude eats flies.

greedrex 01.30.2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by al shabbray
autotune = cher`s strong enough

there isnt a bit which is good about it

noisereductions 01.30.2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Um, okay.

Trent hasn't done anything good since "broken" and like a random song here or there. Nine Inch Nails's entire reason for existence is that awesome video where the dude eats flies.

THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL is brilliant. But I havent loved anything he's done since. WITH TEETH was good though.

acousticrock87 01.30.2009 06:27 PM

I pretty much love everything he's done. Downward is significantly better, quality-wise, than his other stuff, but I think it's all about equally enjoyable. Even Year Zero. Whatev.

atsonicpark 01.30.2009 07:07 PM

Actually, I think Year Zero is his best in forever. It's still not that good though.

Inhuman 01.30.2009 09:14 PM

Prom Queen sounds horrible, overproduced, and disoriented. Capitalism stole Lil' Wayne's virginity. He needs to take time and effort into his material. go to http://allhiphop.com/multimedia/mult...timedia__music and look at how many lil wayne listings there are. Yeah, every day he releases a new track or two

dionysusundone 01.31.2009 05:18 AM

There's another rock song that I can't remember the name of that quotes Green Day, but it sounds a lot better than this one.

noisereductions 01.31.2009 11:15 AM

^ I have that one. It's on THE LEAK 6. It sorta samples that one.. um.. "Basket Case" is it? "Am I just paranoid or am I stooonedddd?" that one.

SYRFox 01.31.2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Actually, I think Year Zero is his best in forever. It's still not that good though.

Year Zero is my favorite too. I find it really good, there's a few tracks that could've been deleted but the whole is brilliant. My Violent Heart or Vessel are fantastic

viewtiful_alan 01.31.2009 04:49 PM

Year Zero was fantastic, but I still feel like Ghosts doesn't get nearly enough love

NWRA 01.31.2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i'm so amazed how people think of weezy like he's really an artist doing something different, an experimental artist even at that.

take tha carter III for example, if soulja boy or lil' jon had recorded that album, people would have fucking tear it up in a second, save "lollipop", "mr carter", the last track (if cut to half the lenght) and perhaps a third one; the rest of the album is easy listening rap songs with half assed hooks and the ones that aren't like that are shitty slick r&b with some rapping. BUT it's fucking lil' wayne, so he most be a godsend.

Yeah that's what I don’t understand: the generosity of the critics, and the indulgence from his fans. Basically he can't fail because even when he releases something that is irredeemably shit it's said to be 'interesting' or lauded as proof of his krazy personality (calaculated Flavor Flav-sms and ODB-isms).

I thought The Slip was a return to form, my favourite since The Download Spiral (which I love). Well worth the (free) download.

DeadDiscoDildo 01.31.2009 07:49 PM

mang this shit is hot!

atsonicpark 01.31.2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
Year Zero was fantastic, but I still feel like Ghosts doesn't get nearly enough love

From who? The critics? Because I know a shit load of NIN fans in real life and they all thought Ghosts was great. I know a dude who HATES NIN that thought Ghosts was good because Trent didn't sing over it. Personally, I thought some of it was interesting, but I was stoned when listening to it. I think Trent's a lazy and unimaginative producer/programmer/etc nowadays (especially when it comes to drum programming) but I have to agree with my friend.. good to hear him not yelling over top.

I do love the Broken EP. It sounds like nothing I've ever heard. Oh sure, you can link it to a lot of stuff that was going on at the time, but since a lot of it was recorded live by the band (with overdubs over the top; it wasn't just Trent alone in his studio like usual), there was a lot of noise and energy in it. Really fantastic.

demonrail666 02.01.2009 05:43 AM

I've listened to quite a bit of his stuff with as open a mind I can, and honestly just don't get it. That people like him is great (for him especially) but all I can hear is the kind of production that I hear all day on MTV. If he invented that sound then kudos to him, but only in the same way that we might give kudos to Oppenheimer for giving us the atomic bomb.

Derek 02.01.2009 07:28 AM

I was a big fan of NIN when I was 12 or so. Teenage angst roar.