Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The twenty greatest albums of the 00's so far, according to The Mighty SY Gossip. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=24397)

cars_willkillyou 08.14.2008 02:09 PM

i think joining this forum is the best thing i have done since i dropped out of college.

al shabbray 08.14.2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cars_willkillyou
i think joining this forum is the best thing i have done since i dropped out of college.

loled hard

Rob Instigator 08.14.2008 02:17 PM

Thanks for doing this BTW

great job

well done

mind if I post the top twenty of 2000 in -FUPPETS- ? full credit to you of course

al shabbray 08.14.2008 02:18 PM

fuppets is such a lovely word. really like it

SYRFox 08.14.2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Thanks for doing this BTW

great job

well done

mind if I post the top twenty of 2000 in -FUPPETS- ? full credit to you of course

Do it do it! I've got no problem with that :)

thanks to y'all =)

al shabbray 08.14.2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Hm. It's hard to describe. Think of a really beautiful mix of fuzzed-out electronics, drone, ambient, shoegaze, and glitch... Kind of a very organic-sounding electronic music that even people who aren't into electronic music could probably get into. Stuff that has lots of layers and is very intricately-made but can be put on as background music as well. Endlessly fascinating and even somewhat noisey stuff. Makes you feel good about life but isn't overly happy. Manages to be catchy and memorable without having any real hooks or melodies. I dunno, just really creative and good stuff.

fennesz is awesome, thanks atsonicpark for writing about it like its odd nosdam, even if fennesz almost doesnt sound like him

Rob Instigator 08.14.2008 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Great job with Fuppets Rob. If you are looking for suggestions, how about sending a PM to Mr. Clone and see if you can get him to install a webcam in his studio......better yet, maybe he can install one at the record store. Each time a customer purchases something of great interest, Savage can hold it up for us to see. Not only would board members start adding quality albums to their collection, these "list" would drastically improve as well......

hahaha! would that not be awesome?

here is the llink to the -FUPPETS- post.

http://fuppets.blogspot.com/2008/08/...0s-so-far.html

al shabbray 08.14.2008 03:06 PM

thats a really nice idea

radarmaker 08.14.2008 03:10 PM

You've got the pics for Kid A & NYCG&F the wrong way round, Rob. And 15-18 were all tied.

al shabbray 08.14.2008 03:20 PM

thats artistical expression

Glice 08.14.2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
By the way, this is easily one of my top records since Y2K!

YES. YES I say. To this record - yes!

Rob Instigator 08.14.2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radarmaker
You've got the pics for Kid A & NYCG&F the wrong way round, Rob. And 15-18 were all tied.

I'll fix it!

demonrail666 08.14.2008 04:02 PM

Well done SYR, thanks for that.
I was glad that the Silver Jews made the list. I'm really surprised that Sonic Nurse made it so high on both lists. I'm gonna listen to it again now. It's one of maybe two SY albums I don't care much for at all.

I have to be honest and say that, of the 35 albums, I've only heard maybe ten. Definitely makes me intrigued to want to hear the rest though.

A great idea SYR, thanks.

You must spread some more top fives around before giving it to SYRFox again.

MellySingsDoom 08.14.2008 04:10 PM

SYRFox - I'd to concur with demonrail's thanks for doing this poll - most interesting. I'm glad to see Converge's "Jane Doe" and Boards Of Canada's "Geogaddi" making it into the top 20. There's a couple of things in this chart that I'm definitely going to investigate further.

Rob Instigator 08.14.2008 04:11 PM

I am gonna have to go out and buy 4-5 things this payday

but I am staying far far away from goddamned wilco!

diskaholic-anonymous 08.14.2008 04:12 PM

for me NYC Ghosts and Flowers sounds better than Sonic Nurse, but for a sonic youth forum it's missing some important bands like Merzbow, Magik Markers, Guitar Wolf, Glenn Branca, anyway this top twenty sound good.

drrrtyboots 08.14.2008 04:12 PM

I'm so hurt to see Unwound's Leaves Turn Inside You is absent.

demonrail666 08.14.2008 04:14 PM

Disappointed at the total lack of Trivium love on this board. I has ta say.

EDIT: That's not actually true. I'm not disappointed at all, on account of Trivium being well shit, basically.

MellySingsDoom 08.14.2008 04:16 PM

Trivium make my lungs ache....I'm definitely scoping the Double Leopards album, and might even be tempted to splash out on one of the SY ones....

Rob Instigator 08.14.2008 04:22 PM

leaves turn inside you is on the list