Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what albums need to be reissued? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=23277)

LittlePuppetBoy 07.08.2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
the pop group-y's

That was reissued by Rhino last year.

I'll say Blind Idiot God's material.

noisereductions 07.08.2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
A rapidshare or sharebee upload? Whatever's best for you.

Danny, I'll gladly help you as soon as I can... I just moved and don't have fast internet access at the moment. As soon as it's set up, I'll be yr Johnny on the spot.

noisereductions 07.08.2008 10:16 AM

There's some Yesterdays New Quintet 'season suites' that were promo only that I think should see a broad release.

Also, the GTO's album should see some kind of official release, at least for archival purposes. (Fans of Zappa/Beefheart need to check it out).

Danny Himself 07.08.2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Danny, I'll gladly help you as soon as I can... I just moved and don't have fast internet access at the moment. As soon as it's set up, I'll be yr Johnny on the spot.

Thanks! PM when you're set and all that. :)

pantophobia 07.08.2008 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
whats the name of the james chance boxset? ive never heard of any such thing.

it's a 4 disc box called Irresistible Impulse released by tiger records

SYRFox 07.08.2008 10:30 AM

Raccoo-oo-oon: Is Night People
n0 things: Trees

StevOK 07.08.2008 10:56 AM

The stuff in my signature can fetch quite a pretty penny these days, since so few were printed.

floatingslowly 07.08.2008 11:27 AM

^^^ did I not get you Time Machine yet, or do you just not like it as much? :p

Toilet & Bowels 07.08.2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself

i don't suppose that's worth any money?

StevOK 07.08.2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
^^^ did I not get you Time Machine yet, or do you just not like it as much? :p

You still havn't gotten it for me. :(

Everyneurotic 07.08.2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy

I'll say Blind Idiot God's material.

definitely.

---

matando güeros is out of print? that's weird.

uhler 07.08.2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantophobia
it's a 4 disc box called Irresistible Impulse released by tiger records

i had a dream about that box set last night.

Glice 07.08.2008 01:31 PM

Some of you people really need lessons in looking for records. A lot of records that are OOP are actually still floating about in stores.

Anyway. A vinyl copy of the Shaggs' philosophy of the world has eluded me at a reasonable price for a few years. And I've yet to see any sign of Datblygu's tapes (before wyau or pyst), but my inability to read Welsh might explain that one.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the fact that La Monte Young has yet to re-issue/ issue anything at a semi-reasonable price in a semi-reasonable quantity. Does this mean that everyone else has a lovely sprinkly re-mastered Young box-set that I've not seen?

MellySingsDoom 07.08.2008 02:21 PM

Glicester: Re. La Monte Young - Old La Monte has given the vast majority of his masters to a NY-based foundation. Evidently they've paid him a fair whack for them, as he's never agitated for their release back to him. If he wants his solo stuff to be permanently out of print, then fine, that's his prerogative. He should stop being such a git though and release at least one of the better Dream Syndicate recordings. Hearing those properly mastered would be a real treat.

Green Magnesium 07.08.2008 02:23 PM

Fleetwood Mac's catalog from 1969-1974.

Some of the albums sound decent... others sound like muddled messes. I would even be happy if the reissues had NO bonus tracks, as long as the audio was superior. Then Play On and Bare Trees , two of the band's best albums, are in particular need of some cleaning up.

Glice 07.08.2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
Glicester: Re. La Monte Young - Old La Monte has given the vast majority of his masters to a NY-based foundation. Evidently they've paid him a fair whack for them, as he's never agitated for their release back to him. If he wants his solo stuff to be permanently out of print, then fine, that's his prerogative. He should stop being such a git though and release at least one of the better Dream Syndicate recordings. Hearing those properly mastered would be a real treat.

Granted... but he's a composer. Recordings aren't the stock-and-trade of composers. I know he operates in the field of electro-acoustic thingummy, but if there can be multiple-renderings (if not recording) of Wolff, Tenney, Cage, Stockhausen, Riley, Koenig, Nono, Palestine and the like, I can't see why he can't join on the action. Some of his pieces are utterly glorious (I'm thinking the well-tuned piano) and he's just coming across as protectionist and a smidge of a Wagnerian by refusing the conditions of release of his art. I mean, you'd think it was hard enough playing what he does without making it even harder for himself.

Danny Himself 07.08.2008 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i don't suppose that's worth any money?

What?

MellySingsDoom 07.08.2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Recordings aren't the stock-and-trade of composers.

Correctamundo. In a way, what he should be doing is allowing ensembles to perform his work without him "being" there, if you see what I mean. I mean, if the notoriously hands-on Stockhausen was pretty relaxed about other ensembles/groupings around the world doing his scores, then you'd think that LMY would at least consider it. But no.

Glice 07.08.2008 02:56 PM

Stockhausen was an utter, utter bastard. Clearly. I mean that in a 'look at the mad (dead) bastard way, what a mad bastard!' with the subterfuge of respect for him being a bastard. And if Stockhausen can have a life outside of his bastardness, where does that leave LMY? No-where, that's where.

batreleaser 07.08.2008 03:00 PM

la monte was incredible. the theater of eternal music-day of niarga record was incredible. just some guys jamming (well, not exactly just "some guys") and creating music that was fucking monstorous. even by today's brutal as fuck harsh noise standards, that record sounds pretty intense. i first heard about it through a blastitude review and then insantly got on my amazon account and got to searching, was not dissapointed.