Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bands you regret having seen (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22313)

demonrail666 06.04.2008 06:44 AM

Clutch. Not that I regret seeing them but for all the fuss, they were pretty crappy I thought.

Monster Magnet, last tour. Saw them on the Spine of God tour and they were phenomenal. Seeing them last year and I thought I'd walked in on a Thee Hypnotics tribute band.

sarramkrop 06.04.2008 06:56 AM

Penthouse
Rocket From The Crypt
Latest incarnation of Mercury Rev
Flaming Lips
Sebadoh
Late 90's Stereolab (Pram were good though)

Pookie 06.04.2008 08:12 AM

Yo La Tengo with Broadcast supporting.

Enough to make you vomit.

batreleaser 06.04.2008 08:30 AM

my friends band; some stoner/doom metal band. they were absolutley fucking horible, a 17th rate electric wizard ripoff. the worst part was having to bite my tongue when they were all psyched about how much they rocked after the show; i meam, theyre my friends, yknow.

Pookie 06.04.2008 08:31 AM

Nurse With Wound.

Toilet & Bowels 06.04.2008 08:49 AM

are there any shows you enjoyed pookie?

sarramkrop 06.04.2008 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Yo La Tengo with Broadcast supporting.

Enough to make you vomit.

Yo La Tengo I don't care for, but Broadcast are a fantastic live band and like no others.

atsonicpark 06.04.2008 09:12 AM

The second time I saw Xiu Xiu. The first time was amazing... I've told this story before, but..

The first time was amazing, just two members in the band, and it was real intimate and quiet and personal... during the quiet moments you could hear a pin drop if you listened closely.. everyone was respectful and polite... It was in a small club...

The second time I saw them, it was in this big outdoor festival.. we had waited there all day and Xiu Xiu was the last band to play (after 20+ bands who all played short sets), at around midnight, and it was in the beginning of April and there was rain and everyone was freezing. Xiu Xiu came on and looked pissed though they had on huge coats and stuff. It was kinda hilarious. They had just added a drummer so all those quiet, amazing songs before turned into this overdistorted rock thing. "Sad Pony Guerilla girl"was like this noise rock song now with crashing drums and shit. They were supposed to play for an hour but the show was donations only and they played like 30 minutes at the most and a few people shouted for an encore but they neck came back and they just left immediately after the show. So, yeah, the experience wasn't completely their fault, but the actual performance of the songs was pretty shitty.

atsonicpark 06.04.2008 09:13 AM

Pork, I'm really interested in your seeing of rocket from the crypt being terrible. What's the story?

Tokolosh 06.04.2008 09:15 AM

Om was a serious disappointment last year.

sarramkrop 06.04.2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Pork, I'm really interested in your seeing of rocket from the crypt being terrible. What's the story?

Nothing in particular, I just got the impression that their performance was lacklustre that night. Cool band nonetheless, plus I have seen them playing a better gig than the one i mentioned.

atsonicpark 06.04.2008 09:26 AM

Oh okay, I figured it was something like that. I never got to see them live but I heard they were usually great live, and I love most of their records.

sarramkrop 06.04.2008 09:36 AM

Your loss. Rocket From The Crypt on a good night were quite THE experience.

Everyneurotic 06.04.2008 10:19 AM

ahhh, a shitty pop rock band from here on their reunion show called fobia, everyone was in the nostalgia trip and they are god fucking awful, i was booing throughout the whole set. they even did a mashup of one of their songs with "girls just wanna have fun" and even that turned lame!

Rob Instigator 06.04.2008 10:22 AM

Interpol

atsonicpark 06.04.2008 10:24 AM

I thought black moth super rainbow were pretty terrible live but their records aren't too bad.

sarramkrop 06.04.2008 10:29 AM

I can imagine Black Moth Super Rainbow being shite live. Do you know Yorkshire Over Madonna? Great name, shame about the rest.

Rob Instigator 06.04.2008 10:37 AM

Gumball, I saw Gumball open up for dinosaur Jr twice around 1993 or so. They were fucking horrible.

meat puppets too. meat puppets suck fucking country ass\

sarramkrop 06.04.2008 10:39 AM

Yes, Gumball sucked smooth ass too.

Rob Instigator 06.04.2008 10:42 AM

gumball was one o those bands that you hear every goddamn hispeter band memmber mention, back in the day, and you wonder, man they must be really good, and they were substandard genero-alterna-rock!