Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Please take my survey regarding drug use and the creative arts! It's for school. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=21862)

Lurker 05.15.2008 06:32 PM

Why wheat grass? What is it? Where would I get it?

I have no idea where I would get peyote.

!@#$%! 05.15.2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurker
Why wheat grass? What is it? Where would I get it?

I have no idea where I would get peyote.

wheat grass is just germinated wheat seeds-- you cut the shoots put it in a special juicer & drink it. people claim all sorts of health benefits from it and while this is a subjective experience i've gotten a high from it. i presume you can get it in a health food store, though i'm not sure all california health fads make it to the u.s.

peyote grows only in the chihuahuan desert i'm afraid and it's legal for members of the native american church (a weird jesus religion). but anyway-- good stuff! very introspective and quite safe.

Lurker 05.15.2008 06:59 PM

D E L E T E D

DeadDiscoDildo 05.15.2008 08:07 PM

I like this thread, its like a mental show and tell

Gender (Please circle one): M
Location/Ethnicity: Midwest United States/White
Are you an only child? No
Are you parents separated? No
Do you, or have you ever used illicit drugs? Yes
Do you or have you ever abused other, legal substances? Yes

If so to either, what type of drugs were used and at what age did you start these practices? Weed, Opium, LSD, Shrooms, Cocaine, Whipits, Alcohol, Painpills, I think that's about it. Don't touch heroine or meth or the rocks, though a good friend is a heroine addict.

What reasons do you/do you not have for taking drugs? Not really escaping from anything, infact I've found myself and become a better person from certain drugs. If you respect the drugs you do, you can learn alot. If you don't, you'll learn alot...in a different way.

Do you believe that certain illegal drugs should be either legalised or decriminalised? If so, which ones? Weed yes, and though I believe that everyone should experience LSD once in their life, its right up there with a world without racism & violence. You can't change stupid.

Do your friends use similar drugs and/or share similar views to you? (Please circle one)
God yes, I would go insane if I had to hide my habits. Also it's easier to relate. But I have friends who dont do drugs too, as long as they respect my lifestyle, I respect theirs. I started doing drugs to elevate my thought, not become close minded and unnaccepting. Tho, since LSD, I do have a bit of the superiority complex....but at the same time, have shed my ego. It's a strange thing.
Do you have a drug related mental condition? (Please circle one)
No, I have a.d.d. but since I was a small child...technically, you could say thats where drug use started...

Do you feel that there is a connection between the creative arts and drug culture in any way? If so, how?
Doing drugs doesn't make you creative if you don't have the spark already.
With that said, of course there is a connection.

Do any of the musical groups you listen to influence your decision? If so, how? And what music do you listen to?
No, the band that had the biggest influence on my life at a young age was Nirvana. & I'm not doing heroin.

Have the attitudes presented in films towards drugs made you think about them in a different way? If so, please circle whether it positive or negative.
Neutral. Real life has made me think about certain drugs in a different way.

Do you feel that drug use is glorified in the world of creative arts? If so, please circle which aspect of the creative arts you feel glorifies drug use.
Film and Television Music Visual Art Literature Other (Please specify)

No.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.15.2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
The aim of this questionnaire is to investigate why teenagers use drugs and also to see the creative arts (such as film, visual art and music) influences their attitudes about their decisions regarding drug use.

What reasons do you/do you not have for taking drugs?

Depends upon what drug you are referring to and at what time in my life. When I was in early high school, it was a bit of radical experimentation, it was like, "fuck em" kind of mentality, after all we were very educated drug users, we were not using in ignorance, we knew the chemical math even most of the time. In fact, that is why we said "fuck em" most of all. I think that it was also a bit of 'smoke em if you got em' kind of thing. I was thinking, well why not try all of these things, you have to experience things for yourself to have a proper understanding, and with this weird mentality I systematically tried and at times abused most every conceivable drug or high in my early to mid teens, everything except for meth/speed, because I already had sleeping problems and the idea of a drug that kept you awake was not appealing. Some people say boredom, some people say because they are around, myself was a mix of radical revenge against the establishment [stay out of order] and also pure curiosity about living a new experience. Sort of like the way people had sex in 1984. In my adult life, drugs have a different meaning entirely. Herb is a kind of spiritual medicine for me, as well as a kind of mental vitamin or fruit, which must be taken as a proper regiment for health. I also eat mushrooms religiously, you could say that since my early manhood around 15, mushrooms were my 'right of passage' and 'initiation' period. Today I eat them like the indians did, for visions, for peace, for cosmic harmony, for a genuinely good time, for a spiritual vacation. I will admitt, that I do not eat them every weekend like i maintained for a good five years, but they are still very important to me, if not more so today then before. I do not use hard drugs, they are a waste. As an adult I have abused cocaine for brief episodes, once for depression, another time as a reward for having not used it for so long, but these days I wouldn't even know what to do with it, I am in a more secure place spiritually and physically. The decision to avoid hard drugs is as easy as avoiding bad food, it is for the health, which I do have to remind myself sometimes, because burried inside of me is still that radical youth who says "fuck em" all the time

Do you believe that certain illegal drugs should be either legalised or decriminalised? If so, which ones?

I used too, but lately I would prefer uncle sam just kept his grubby paws off.

Do you feel that there is a connection between the creative arts and drug culture in any way? If so, how?

drugs and art both equal a kind of backwards freedom, where you feel so good it can feel free, but you are trapped and chained to the cause of feeling. art is as much an addiction as drugs for sure.

Do any of the musical groups you listen to influence your decision? If so, how? And what music do you listen to?

Well, actually, yes if in reference to herb, I can not lie and say that the philosophies expressed in much of roots reggae music did not validate and reinforce my own interpretations and beliefs regarding my own consumption of cannabis.

Have the attitudes presented in films towards drugs made you think about them in a different way? If so, please circle whether it positive or negative.
Positive Negative

Well, I definately felt bad when smoking crack, so yes.

!@#$%! 05.15.2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurker
But the main chemical in peyote is mescaline. That would be easier to get.

yes but it's not the same. if you were to get mescaline from a university, like aldous huxley, i'd say sure, get it. but getting it from illegal sources, contaminated with who knows what, with no guarantee whatsoever, seems to me like a russian roulette. eating the peyote cactus is like eating a carrot-- it won't make you sick. sure, you could have a psychotic breakdown, ha ha ha, but as i said, it's best taken with expert guidance. among native americans from the church, peyote is used to treat alcoholism. how about that, huh?

ZEROpumpkins 05.16.2008 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden
Haha, I'm not a typical member of my community. Anyway, how did Camden get such a bad reputation in Sydney? Is it because of the Muslim school that's being built here?

More to do with the bunch of old conservatives at that huge protest on the news.

That was an EPIC lol.

ZEROpumpkins 05.16.2008 08:33 AM

Here's what I put for my answers:
Gender (Please circle one): M / F
Location/Ethnicity: Sydney, Australia/Caucasian
Are you an only child? (Please circle one)
Y / N

Are you parents separated? (Please circle one)
Y / N

Do you, or have you ever used illicit drugs? (Please circle one)
Y / N

Do you or have you ever abused other, legal substances? (E.g. alcohol, medication, huffing chemicals?) (Please circle one)

Y / N

If so to either, what type of drugs were used and at what age did you start these practices?
Cigarettes - 13 (Not anymore)
Alcohol - 14
Valium - 16

What reasons do you/do you not have for taking drugs?
Escape reality, chill out

Do you believe that certain illegal drugs should be either legalised or decriminalised? If so, which ones?
Pot for sure, decriminalised.

Do your friends use similar drugs and/or share similar views to you? (Please circle one)
Yes No

Do you have a drug related mental condition? (Please circle one)
Yes No

Yes, a lot of artists take drugs and some of the best songs ever were written either on or about drugs.

No/I listen to Indie and Electronica (see my sig)

Positive Negative
This one is kinda a dumb question, I really should have put a both option. Movies offer a different insight to drug culture that I had not seen from my friends etc.

Do you feel that drug use is glorified in the world of creative arts? If so, please circle which aspect of the creative arts you feel glorifies drug use.
Film and Television Music Visual Art Literature Other (Please specify)