Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   let's talk about steve (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=17515)

PAULYBEE2656 11.05.2007 09:27 AM

try hanging a picture straight without nails........

try sonic youth without double s beat attack

nuff said

to.w 11.05.2007 01:41 PM

Very few drummers have become legends, in facts they're only two : Max Roach and Steve Shelley...

Rob Instigator 11.05.2007 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suez
i know it's strange but... sometimes i think steve is too mediocre, i mean his work in sy. thurston, lee, kim are all looking for some more experimental sound but steve just seems to act someone out of them.

i don't know.

what you have to understand is that when you write experimental ROCK music you have to have a fucking great drummer to pull everything together cohesively, and to do it outstandingly, which steve shelley does. he is a fucking awesome drummer, and noone else could fill his sonic shoes

atari 2600 11.05.2007 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max
Steve is probably the best rock drummer around the world. And he's my fave drummer for sure. If you can't relate to my words, I wonder why do you listen to SY in the first time?

he's amazing and his skills can't be touched. and he's a wonderful person.

Yes, he's the best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
Steve is fantastic. I felt so connected to him during the Pitchfork Daydream show. He was just on point... delivered the goods. I think Jenn talked about how he held together songs that might have fallen apart like "Total Trash". I generally watch him and Thurston equally during a show because they interest me the most.

Pitchfork Fest is the best performance of Daydream Nation so far, in my opinion. (I haven't listened to that second Roundhouse show yet.) Lots of nice comments in the thread; I like jennthebenn's post too.

SYRFox 11.05.2007 03:50 PM

Steve Shelley, mediocre? No seriously, listen to Theresa's Sound-world (for instance), then you'll come. Steve isn't the best drummer technically speaking, but he totally ROCKS because he's really not just the rythm... there's much more in his game, in my opinion.

thewall91 11.05.2007 08:56 PM

this is the dumbest thread ever.

steve has one of the most distinctive drumming styles of any drummer. you can tell a sonic youth song by whatever technique it is that he uses (i'm not a drummer, but i can tell his sound.)

aside from the fact that, as everyone has previously stated, he IS one of the nicest people in the entire world, why anyone would criticize him for essentially not being "cool enough" to be in the band is beyond me. if you're not at band practice or a part of the creative process yourself, you have no idea what he brings to the table in those terms. i could personally give a shit whether he's "experimental" enough of a human being or musician. if lee, kim and thurston didn't think he added something, he wouldn't be in the band.

val-holla-ing 11.05.2007 09:00 PM

i heard steve has a skin disorder where his feet are no longer covered in skin, but scales.

Magic Wheel Memory 11.06.2007 10:26 PM

I've had the pleasure to meet Steve a few times before shows, and he's always been really friendly and warm. Less importantly, I think he's an excellent drummer.

Actually, I prefer to call people who play drums "drummists."

plastic sun 11.20.2007 11:04 PM

very nice.
all i know is that he is the greatest drummer of all time, and he doesn't wear a watch.

max 11.20.2007 11:51 PM

question: how do you keep up with time without a watch?

answer: you are steve shelley!

flophousefloozie 11.21.2007 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
you are wrong. there could be no sonic youth with out steve, just listen to sonic death to prove it. further, without steve to organize the chaos, there would just be annoying guitar noises all the time, no music to speak of.. just my opinion.

also, steve is the only genuinely kind hearted person in the whole group. For that reason alone, he gets my praise, for kindness is more important than skill.

Yeah, I agree. He holds it down. Had it been anyone els, their sound would be far too unorganized. Of course (this is beyond obvious), it would not be Sonic Youth.

SonikJesus 11.21.2007 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
Actually, I prefer to call people who play drums "drummists."

Actually, I prefer to call people who play drums percussionists.

Green Magnesium 11.21.2007 04:50 AM

He discovered and was the first to record Chan Marshall. Not only that, but was actually a member of Cat Power for the first 3 albums.

That alone earns him my love (SY aside).

Torn Curtain 11.21.2007 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Magnesium
He discovered and was the first to record Chan Marshall. Not only that, but was actually a member of Cat Power for the first 3 albums.

That alone earns him my love (SY aside).

That's just my opinion but I don't think Cat Power are that important.

adjectives-ex 11.21.2007 09:42 AM

there is a reason why he plays for them, though. they wanted him to play for them and they were one of his favorite bands.

for his drumming mad skills- listen to the beat on Nevermind (What was it Anyway). synchronicity that i was listening to it when i saw this thread and this song has some of my favourite drum sounds of all time on it.

s.

spekkie 04.22.2008 10:38 AM

i think Steve's a great drummer, & so do a lot of other people apparently. He's awesome... and he's seemingly a really sweet guy as well. What more could anyone ask for???

When I took a friend to see them a few years ago in Newtown, he thought the best thing about them was Steve ("He's a bloody good drummer!") but he felt that the others were just going through the motions.

deflinus 04.22.2008 10:59 AM

he's definitely an awesome drummer. you should listen to his drums on Non Site #3 on Lee's Amarillo Ramp. its very unique to me and it definitely fucking grounded Lee and Thurston's guitar feedback spiel. i was listening to it the other day and was just surprised by it. and it was all improv if i remember.

i met the guy in hoboken at one of thurston's show. great guy. very friendly. im just glad i told him that im a HUGE fucking fan. not of sonic youth but of steve shelley.

Pessimist 04.22.2008 04:19 PM

I love that quick break he gets in Pipeline/ Kill Time.

jetengine 04.22.2008 10:21 PM

I can't think of too many other major rock musicians who have been around so long and yet have so little known and confirmed about their personal life! I mean, someone mentioned seeing him with a woman; I remember back in the '80s and early to mid '90s, it was almost automatically assumed by every fan I met that he was gay!

Green Magnesium 04.23.2008 01:14 AM

^ I wish.