Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sister or Goo? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9026)

k-krack 12.16.2006 06:07 PM

I love Thurstons vocals on it. They're so... sort of... lazily done... in a way. Sort of Stephen Malkmus-y. Y'know? I especially love Mary-Christ's vocals.

Norma J 12.16.2006 06:11 PM

The vocals are very lazy. Especially Kims. Sounds liek she was half asleep.

Danny Himself 12.16.2006 06:13 PM

Yeah, Kim's are poor, but Thurston's singing fits his lyrics well.

Norma J 12.16.2006 06:21 PM

Sounds like Thurston was going for a different vocal style though. I find it a little humerous at times.

HECKLER SPRAY 12.16.2006 06:31 PM

SISTER : the best album i've ever heard, from the beginning to the end, no bullshit, just brilliant songs. And this sound, so special, so warm. Firts time I heard Schizophrenia, I got shivers. First time I heard Catholic block intro since 5 years, I couldn't believe i 've waited for a so long time to listen to this milestone. GOO : not so bad, but no so powerfull. Good songs, but as not linked as Sister's.
SISTER is still the best album of the 80's.

Dead-Air 12.16.2006 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegmama

Sister was SY's most blatant early flirtation with conventional rock songwriting. With Sister, SY moved past the self-consciously avant-garde stylings of some of their early albums to create a much more accessible, immediate, and listenable sound...

Not really. EVOL was the album that did that. Part of why Sister is named that is that they considered it a "sister" album to EVOL. A lot of people, myself included, like it a little better, but EVOL was very much the pop deviation from the noisier records Bad Moon Rising, Kill Your Idols, and Confusion is Sex.

alyasa 12.17.2006 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous

Rather ripped has an intensity of its own, i think... Pop bubblegum intensity. Like ABBA's dark and twisted doppleganger meets Television with a lesbian fixation.

k-krack 12.17.2006 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Not really. EVOL was the album that did that. Part of why Sister is named that is that they considered it a "sister" album to EVOL. A lot of people, myself included, like it a little better, but EVOL was very much the pop deviation from the noisier records Bad Moon Rising, Kill Your Idols, and Confusion is Sex.

Yupyupyup. Both albms are absolutely delicious.

And no matter what you fucks all say, Rather Ripped is a fan-fucking-tastic album. One of '06's best.

SynthethicalY 12.17.2006 01:31 AM

I like goo on a different context than sister. I like goo's more pop-oriented song structures, while sister is amazing on another plateu. the lyrics are just brilliant on that one. Both are good.

alyasa 12.17.2006 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
I like goo on a different context than sister. I like goo's more pop-oriented song structures, while sister is amazing on another plateu. the lyrics are just brilliant on that one. Both are good.

I think that hits it on the nail... Sister and Goo are both brilliant for completely different reasons. Like OK Computer and Nevermind...

Norma J 12.17.2006 01:44 AM

But if you put them both on a list, I'd pick Nevermind without even thinking about it. Radiohead I've never really liked.

k-krack 12.17.2006 01:47 AM

I love both Nirvana and Radiohead, but Nevermind takes it, no questions asked. Plus, OK Computer gets too much credit as Radioheads best album... no it ain't!

SynthethicalY 12.17.2006 01:53 AM

In Utero is far better than nevermind, and Bleach beats In Utero.

k-krack 12.17.2006 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
In Utero is far better than nevermind

Word. Bleach, however, is my least favourite. The drums sound so sucky on Bleach. (recording, that is)

SynthethicalY 12.17.2006 01:56 AM

You have to listen to it, it is brilliant.

k-krack 12.17.2006 01:57 AM

Great album, sure, still my least favourite of the three.

SynthethicalY 12.17.2006 01:59 AM

No Nevermind is my least favorite. I have In Utero and Bleach on Vynil, I just need Nevermind.

k-krack 12.17.2006 02:00 AM

Sweet.
I got 'em all on cd.

SynthethicalY 12.17.2006 02:04 AM

I can't play it cause my record player fucken broke, so I need to buy a new one.

k-krack 12.17.2006 02:07 AM

Yikes.
I broke a couple of record players... (by "scratching" with them...) I learned from my mistakes, I got free replacements every time though, because I lied and said it was natural causes!!! (Mind, this happened thrice hahaha!)