Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chris Cornell Joins SY? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30522)

Kloriel 04.23.2009 07:29 PM

myrmmodonna tongue battle axe tree bark scraper. skin the last albino tigers and player drums on endangered species skulls. heavy horizon

exploding plastic candle 04.24.2009 12:35 AM

I hate his voice with a burning passion. I wonder what Sonic Youth would say if they read this...

summer 04.24.2009 03:00 AM

Yeah Sonic Youth don't seem to hate on popular music nearly as much as their fans do, I mean, isn't this the band that played rap tapes on a boom box in the 80's, come on now. They aren't close-minded about music.

summer 04.24.2009 03:50 AM

Damn, see Kim Thayil bugs me.. he did that guest spot on Boris/Sun O))'s Altar, but where has be seen since?

Also, Soundgarden's cover of "Smokestack Lightning" samples part of Sonic Youth's "Death Valley '69" at the end of it, and this was in 1988, before Sonic Youth were as big (or so I would imagine?), so they obviously had good taste.

Hell, the big grunge bands are some of my favorite of all time. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Soundgarden are all great. The only big one I don't like is Alice in Chains, they're so depressing and just not very good in the first place.

summer 04.24.2009 04:40 AM

Yeah I've been listening to Louder Than Love just now and you can totally see the Led Zeppelin influence, they wear the Sabbath and Zeppelin on their sleeves, but it isn't a bad thing because somehow they do turn it into their own thing.

I love making the record label connections, too, it's kinda fun to seek out anything on SST in particular, or Def Jam/Def Jux/Warp.

Just curious, how old are you exactly then? I'm only 19 so I could have never possibly heard these bands in their prime. Fuck, I don't even recall Kurt's death, my parents wouldn't let me watch MTV for the longest time.

Magic Wheel Memory 04.24.2009 07:19 AM

Soundgarden was a fucking great band. Overall, Chris Cornell wouldn't fit SY, but I can picture his vocals in a song like Rain on Tin.

Rob Instigator 04.24.2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
"pop", like "folk" or "indie" is often a misinterpreted term. its oringinal intention was not to define a certain genre of music.

like, technically reggea, blues, zydeco, some EARLY jazz stuff, are all forms of folk music.

"pop" once meant little more than "popular". like, led zeppelin, madonna, and miles davis could arguably all be "pop", even if they all approach music in different ways. i mean, they all once, and still do reach a wide audience. wide audience = popular = pop.

pop doesnt just mean justin timberlake.

then the term "pop" is meaningless and should never be used, since any and all forms of music at one time become popular, and fall in popularity, and then become popular again. it is meaningless.

rock n roll is rock n roll.

andrei 04.24.2009 09:35 AM

I was never a Soundgarden fan tho i own most of their albums. I've always sensed something rotten in their music but only a few years back i've figured it was Cornell. He doesn't belong anywhere near SY. He should sell bibles instead.

Rob Instigator 04.24.2009 10:06 AM

what did that dipshit Rikki Rachman from headbanger's ball used to say at the end of his show?

"keep one foot in the dirt and one fist in the gold."

what the fuck is that? that guy always wanted to be as cool as the Crue, but could only manage to be about half as cool as L.A. Guns, ha!