Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   reassessing nyc ghosts and flowers (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15947)

nicfit 08.26.2009 11:36 AM

Oh, I see.
DO you have dvds of that season? If so, could you screen-cap that frame in full size :D?

noisereductions 08.26.2009 11:41 AM

I only have one season left... I don't remember which one. I'll check when i can. I used to have all of them, but my wife and I watched the whole series and then got rid of them all. But we were stuck with one season cuz it was missng a disc somehow.

notyourfiend 08.26.2009 11:43 AM

people diss on kim's lyrics in nevermind.

i, on the other hand, applaud their excellence.

the appropriation of a nursery rhyme. perfect.

noisereductions 08.26.2009 11:45 AM

yeah, I always loved em too.

stadtgorilla 08.26.2009 06:06 PM

when that album came out, i thought they might take some tortoise-post-rock kind of approach which in the end they didn't. maybe for good. i dunno. this album definately sticks out from the rest musically and i love it. it's very open. you feel like anything might happen. dark in some respect, but in another way, a true sense of freedom later records don't have.

This Is Not Here 08.26.2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
This is an awful effort by Thurston, lyrically. His worst... well, besides the great title.

His greatest, as far as I'm concerned. Whilst not very original poetry, it's really quite beautiful. A matter of opinion I know. But to claim Self-Obsessed and Sexee lyrically is no a matter of opinion, it's just WRONG.

;)

Leetdude 08.28.2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notyourfiend
people diss on kim's lyrics in nevermind.

i, on the other hand, applaud their excellence.

the appropriation of a nursery rhyme. perfect.

Yeah, it's certainly no worse than the "say it, don't spray it" near the beginning of Teen Age Riot.

notyourfiend 08.28.2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leetdude
Yeah, it's certainly no worse than the "say it, don't spray it" near the beginning of Teen Age Riot.

I don't think those are bad lyrics either.

A theme in her lyrics tends to be motherhood/childhood.

I love her chilling and politically invested appropriations of "innocent" children's rhymes.

She's a fucking brilliant lyricist in my option.

noisereductions 08.28.2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notyourfiend
I don't think those are bad lyrics either.

A theme in her lyrics tends to be motherhood/childhood.

I love her chilling and politically invested appropriations of "innocent" children's rhymes.

She's a fucking brilliant lyricist in my option.

agreed. Like the Alice In Wonderland stuff on "Contre Le Sexism"

notyourfiend 08.28.2009 11:09 AM

^ totally

pinkstation 08.28.2009 05:43 PM

i think NYCG&F lacks a certain power that confusion is sex, evol, sister, DDN, and even dirty have. i really REALLY like the album, don't get me wrong, but i think there's just not enough substance or something.

i dunno what i'm trying to say really.

barry swedgin 08.29.2009 03:32 PM

NYC is a top 2 or 3 LP for me. Small Flowers Crack Concrete just blows me away - the music is spellbinding. And I just love some of the images Thurston talks about.

It should be the law that Thurston says "cop cars" on all SY albums. Oh yeah. ;o)

noisereductions 08.29.2009 03:35 PM

I wish they'd officially release the live version of "NYCG&F" that's on the Silver Rockets/Cool Things DVD.