Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Sonic Youth 37 03.08.2009 12:38 PM

Watchmen.

Let me just say, it's the best main-stream super hero movie I've ever seen. It was done really well. However, I think it runs about 20-30 minutes too long (although I can't think of any cuts) and I HATE how they changed the ending.

vulva 03.08.2009 12:50 PM

I hate how they fucked up John's history, didn't provide the proper treatment to Hollis, never explained how anyone knew John went to Mars, had Rorschach fall for the set up without any actual reason why it worked out so well, no dead rapist with a sign saying "never", no hover bikes, skimmed Ozymandias' only chance at depth and Dan didn't do any precautionary work to prevent him and the others involved from being arrested. Movie was awful.

Sonic Youth 37 03.08.2009 01:01 PM

Oh, and Bubastis was the wrong color.

viewtiful_alan 03.08.2009 03:34 PM

7/10
Gotta love blu ray though.

Rob Instigator 03.08.2009 03:44 PM

Watchmen

I give it 4/5

they could not include the many secondary characters and relationships that added the human connection in the comic which kind of loses a huge part of the effect that the watchmen story has in the text.
but frankly, he did a good job. it is not an embarrasment nor an insult. It is far better than that. considering what hollywood normally does to the comic source material (xmen 3 and spidey 3 and all fantastic four bs anyone?) it was good.

Rob Instigator 03.08.2009 03:48 PM

all that shit is nitpicking guys. it is a movie. if they get it half right consider yrself lucky! they change things for film's quirks and to maintain mood.

viewtiful_alan 03.08.2009 04:21 PM

10/10

noisereductions 03.08.2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
Were you as underwhelmed with this one as I was NR?

no I actually liked it a lot. I had no expectations, though.

viewtiful_alan 03.08.2009 05:34 PM

Well I'm a big kevin smith/seth rogen fan. I guess I just wanted it to be a lot better than it actually was. It was still quite funny though.

atsonicpark 03.08.2009 05:36 PM

I thought it sucked as a comedy but it wasn't too bad overall, if that makes sense.. just kinda dull... but then I think Kevin Smith is pretty worthless aside from his first two movies.

atsonicpark 03.08.2009 08:10 PM

The Inglorious Bastards trailer sure does look bad, doesn't it? "World War II, Tarantino-style!" Jesus. Starring Eli Roth, Brad Pitt, and Mike Meyers. I mean, I'll still download it opening night and watch it out of morbid curiosity but that trailer is pathetic! Though when you consider that Tarantino's best movie, Reservoir Dogs, is about 95% IDENTICAL to a Hong Kong film called "City on Fire", that shows you how great of a filmmaker he really is. At least nothing could be worse than Death Proof...

Norma J 03.08.2009 08:12 PM

I thought Watchmen was real cool.

atsonicpark 03.08.2009 08:14 PM

Oh wait, Maggie Cheung is going to be in it? sign me up!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.09.2009 01:41 AM

Well, QT's been babbling on about this one for more than a few years now...hopefully it's not complete shit.

Rob Instigator 03.09.2009 10:11 AM

eastwood's CHANGELING

looks good, boring though. true story an all, it was still full of cliche.
they should have titled this movie "He's Not My Son!"

demonrail666 03.09.2009 10:13 AM

Yeah, Changeling was a weird one. Had I not kept reminding myself throughout the film that it was a true story I'd have written it off as preposterous. I thought Angelina Jolie was surprisingly good though.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.10.2009 04:49 AM

8 1/2

atsonicpark 03.10.2009 04:54 AM

re-watched beyond the darkness. Love that movie so much.

noisereductions 03.10.2009 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Yeah watchmen looks like TOTAL shit, never understood why anyone cared about it at all.

agreed. It looks horrible. Horrible.

noisereductions 03.10.2009 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
The Inglorious Bastards trailer sure does look bad, doesn't it? "World War II, Tarantino-style!" Jesus. Starring Eli Roth, Brad Pitt, and Mike Meyers. I mean, I'll still download it opening night and watch it out of morbid curiosity but that trailer is pathetic! Though when you consider that Tarantino's best movie, Reservoir Dogs, is about 95% IDENTICAL to a Hong Kong film called "City on Fire", that shows you how great of a filmmaker he really is. At least nothing could be worse than Death Proof...

There's a trailer? Shit. I gotta see it. I'm sure you'll hate it, like Death Proof. And I'll love it. Like Death Proof. And then we'll tug of war about that here for a while. Then we'll get on with our lives. haha.