Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Antagon 11.21.2020 01:13 PM

Severian 11.21.2020 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon

Ayyyyy

Severian 11.21.2020 10:25 PM

Listening to the most recent Ashtray Navigations release on Bandcamp.

I swear, must be the most prolific act in music.

Outside of this board, I’ve never met anyone who knows who they are.

The Soup Nazi 11.21.2020 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Outside of this board, I’ve never met anyone who knows who they are outside of this board.

Bytor Peltor 11.22.2020 03:54 AM

Let this wash over you......pay attention to the underneath!

Gloga - Material Hangover

Severian 11.22.2020 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

Yeah, I fucked up the sentence because I don’t care

The Soup Nazi 11.22.2020 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, I fucked up the sentence because I don’t care

Nice punk reply. :D But you do care about Ashtray Navigations, so...

Anyway, there's nothing to fight about here - I was just messing with you a bit, Riddlin' Severian. ;):)

Antagon 11.22.2020 05:39 PM

Antagon 11.22.2020 06:20 PM

Holly Golightly - Painted On

The Soup Nazi 11.22.2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

YES! Oh MAN, 13 years in this joint and FINALLY another Gillian fan (or at least listener).

The moonshine is on me! :cool:

The Soup Nazi 11.25.2020 09:40 AM

My life's a piece of shit
That got caught in my shoe
And I've been grinding that stink into the dirt
For a long time now...

Severian 11.25.2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Nice punk reply. :D But you do care about Ashtray Navigations, so...

Anyway, there's nothing to fight about here - I was just messing with you a bit, Riddlin' Severian. ;):)

That’s ok I’m not fighting, I just really don’t care, or I would have edited the post lol. The THE BATMAN Riddler outfit looks super uncomfortable by the by

NYCgaf16 11.25.2020 01:12 PM

my brother's listening to that guy, i was trying to listen to him but his music kinda just flew had flew through me without any trace. so i'm re-listening to it

also this:

Antagon 11.26.2020 05:49 PM

Quote:

YES! Oh MAN, 13 years in this joint and FINALLY another Gillian fan (or at least listener).

The moonshine is on me! :cool:

No one else? That's kind of hard to believe. But yeah, great stuff. Only just got into it to be honest. Really hits that sweet spot.

Antagon 11.26.2020 05:56 PM

Yesterday evening. Had heard only recently of David Roback's passing. Completely slipped under my radar back in February. My mind was kind of occupied back then. What a sucky year.

And now:

I wonder if it'll ever get the recognition it deserves. Recommended it to someone the other day in a passionate, lengthy post. This one's been done dirty, certainly.

NYCgaf16 11.27.2020 03:13 AM

NYCgaf is one of my most fav sy records! i don't recongize the second one tho :P

is it only me or do only i feel like g&f has some sort of a ghost in it?

The Soup Nazi 11.27.2020 02:27 PM

Quote:

I wonder if it'll ever get the recognition it deserves. Recommended it to someone the other day in a passionate, lengthy post. This one's been done dirty, certainly.

Most of the derision is linked to that retarded 0.0 Pitchfork "review". (If Pitchfork really wanted to be contrarian cool, they should have done a 180º and ended up naming it 2000's album of the year - Creem Lester Bangs style!) Anyway, Robert Christgau didn't buy that bullshit:

Quote:

NYC Ghosts and Flowers
Maybe the trauma of guitar loss jolted them past songform, or maybe they're acting out with David Geffen gone bye-bye. Either way this impressionistic poetry-with-postrock is the most avant-sounding of their DGC-etc. product, and either way its avant parts are more listenable--nay, beautiful--than anything on Washing Machine if not A Thousand Leaves. Songform guy that I am, it put me off at first. But heard refracting the dusk on the Taconic Parkway or spattering through the rain on Second Avenue, its refusal to distinguish between abrasive and tender or man-made and natural is a compelling argument for their continuing to do whatever they damn well feel like. A

He even liked it better than Murray Street (!).

Bytor Peltor 11.27.2020 09:46 PM

Don’t let this harsh noise diddy miss your “Best Of 2020” list!

GASHKADIN - Shooting Meth

The Soup Nazi 11.29.2020 10:12 AM

The Soup Nazi 11.29.2020 11:34 PM

Quote:

[...] Had heard only recently of David Roback's passing. Completely slipped under my radar back in February. My mind was kind of occupied back then. What a sucky year.

It happened to me with Silver Apples' Simeon - I read about it only this month and he died on September 8. I cannot believe nobody here posted about his death at the time it occured. :(