Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

noisereductions 07.17.2018 08:23 AM

Y'know what's funny? The first time I watched The Dark Knight was years after release. I had seen Batman Begins and enjoyed it. But I didn't watch Dark Knight until long after everyone kept harping at me that I should watch it. I watched it when I was ready to see it. I loved it. But I was also not under the pressure of "you HAVE to see this movie YOU will LOVE it". Preconceptions were gone. I just decided one day, oh hey I'm in the mood to finally see this. It worked out well that way.

Severian 07.17.2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Y'know what's funny? The first time I watched The Dark Knight was years after release. I had seen Batman Begins and enjoyed it. But I didn't watch Dark Knight until long after everyone kept harping at me that I should watch it. I watched it when I was ready to see it. I loved it. But I was also not under the pressure of "you HAVE to see this movie YOU will LOVE it". Preconceptions were gone. I just decided one day, oh hey I'm in the mood to finally see this. It worked out well that way.

You fucking crazy man. You crazy.

Severian 07.17.2018 12:51 PM

Seriously though, I don’t think every album in the GOOD Music summer series necessarily deserves a “drop everything!” response, BUT... you’re just not the NR I know and love if you have no plans to listen to “Ye” and “Kids See Ghosts.”

Do me a favor and just listen THREE tracks from these two EPs. Pop open Spotify and listen to KSG’s “Feel the Love” and “4th Dimension,” and then listen to Kanye’s “Ghost Town.” Just those. That’s all I ask. If you don’t do it u a bitch.

Feeling extra giving? Listen to “Infrared” from Daytona. And maybe “Cop Shoots Kid” from Nasir.

Will put you in mood.

Ain’t no pressure just if u don’t u a bitch.

Severian 07.17.2018 12:53 PM

That shit about Dark Knight I kinda get... at least for someone who’s not a Batman fan, or someone who assumed it was going to be just another superhero movie like Iron Man and the (blech) Hulk (Ang Lee). But you’re a Batfan and you knew it was going to be the effing ess because you saw Begins. For shame

Savage Clone 07.17.2018 08:53 PM

Perturbator.
I really love this guy's stuff.

Genteel Death 07.18.2018 06:36 AM

Ithaca - A Game For All Who Know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oMtg25Hzd0

I have been playing this record at least twice a day for the past two months. It's perfect from start to finish.

h8kurdt 07.18.2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Seriously though, I don’t think every album in the GOOD Music summer series necessarily deserves a “drop everything!” response, BUT... you’re just not the NR I know and love if you have no plans to listen to “Ye” and “Kids See Ghosts.”

Do me a favor and just listen THREE tracks from these two EPs. Pop open Spotify and listen to KSG’s “Feel the Love” and “4th Dimension,” and then listen to Kanye’s “Ghost Town.” Just those. That’s all I ask. If you don’t do it u a bitch.

Feeling extra giving? Listen to “Infrared” from Daytona. And maybe “Cop Shoots Kid” from Nasir.

Will put you in mood.

Ain’t no pressure just if u don’t u a bitch.

Jesus fucking christ we still on this? Live your own life and stop tryna force shit onto other people. Fuck me this is getting boring.

Severian 07.18.2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Jesus fucking christ we still on this? Live your own life and stop tryna force shit onto other people. Fuck me this is getting boring.

Oh my god, you poor bored thing, if only you weren’t being forced to read my posts. Whatever will you do?

Shut the fuck up.

Severian 07.18.2018 01:06 PM

(fuckin’ telling me what to say grumble grumble fuckass grumble)

h8kurdt 07.18.2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Oh my god, you poor bored thing, if only you weren’t being forced to read my posts. Whatever will you do?

Hard not to given how you spam every thread on here :rolleyes: xo

Quote:

Shut the fuck up.

This is where the autist needs to take his own cue.

Savage Clone 07.18.2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death

Ithaca - A Game For All Who Know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oMtg25Hzd0

I have been playing this record at least twice a day for the past two months. It's perfect from start to finish.

Yeah, I've had that one for a number of years myself. Very grateful for the Acme reissue series, because Originals of that are over four figures. That is indeed a great summer listening experience.

Severian 07.18.2018 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Hard not to given how you spam every thread on here :rolleyes: xo

This is where the autist needs to take his own cue.

1. I don’t spam.

2. You say shut the fuck up; I say shut the fuck up back, and I’m a developmentally stunted child? Cool reasoning bruh

3. Hey I have an idea! Why don’t you complain some more? ;) xo

Genteel Death 07.19.2018 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Yeah, I've had that one for a number of years myself. Very grateful for the Acme reissue series, because Originals of that are over four figures. That is indeed a great summer listening experience.

I'm pretty sure I downloaded this record before when blogs used to post any sort of obscure stuff, but stupidly never gave it a proper listen. Thank God for reissues and Discogs. I'm skint at the moment, but this record I really needed to own. I only found out about it properly because of a track by Peter Howell on a Jonny Trunk compilation. Further readings on who he is lead me to it and now I'm hooked for good. A good summer listening experience indeed.

_tunic_ 07.20.2018 08:29 AM

Neil Young - Living With War - In The Beginning

that album is already 12 years old !!!

Severian 07.20.2018 12:50 PM

I can’t believe nodody’s been listening this one.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 07.20.2018 02:48 PM

Polvo - In Prism

Second only to 'Todays Active Lifestyles', IMO.

evollove 07.20.2018 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
Polvo - In Prism

Second only to 'Todays Active Lifestyles', IMO.

"Beggars Bowl" is tits, but I don't see how Exploded Drawings isn't second place. (If they had trimmed it, it would be first place and a record everyone would own.)

I take it Celebrate the New Dark Age is considered an EP?

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 07.20.2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
"Beggars Bowl" is tits, but I don't see how Exploded Drawings isn't second place. (If they had trimmed it, it would be first place and a record everyone would own.)

On Beggar's Bowl now, love it.
Active Lifestyles just "hits the spot" for me. Honestly though Ive only listened to Exploding Drawings a handful of times, so I don't know it as well.

Savage Clone 07.21.2018 08:36 PM

Candlemass - Nightfall

Sometimes being tasteful is the wrong choice. This record wouldn't be so great if it wasn't excessive and a bit ridiculous. Same applies to Mercyful Fate.

demonrail666 07.24.2018 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Candlemass - Nightfall

Sometimes being tasteful is the wrong choice. This record wouldn't be so great if it wasn't excessive and a bit ridiculous. Same applies to Mercyful Fate.

Wonderful stuff!

Everyone raves about Epicus (which is admittedly great) but I actually prefer Nightfall. Less of a statement, maybe, but just a better collection of songs.

Messiah Marcolin is surely one of the truly great, and defining, metal front men.