Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Last Album You Bought? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=91)

Death & the Maiden 12.17.2009 06:41 AM

Tokolosh 12.17.2009 10:15 AM

On vinyl. Thanks for the tip, narlus!

The Earl Of Slander 12.17.2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
pretty good, but the first volume is amazing. The first volume is actually up there for me with some of the most seminal Wu releases.

Is there actually good stuff on the first volume that I mostly won't have already from other releases?

noisereductions 12.17.2009 01:39 PM

"The What" - Biggie & Meth (if you dnt have READY TO DIE, which you should")
"Cold World Remix" - GZA & D'Angelo
"Tragedy" - The RZA
"Hip Hop Drunkies" - ODB & Alkaholiks
"Gunz N Onez" - Heltah Skeltah & Meth
"Wake Up" - Killarmy
"Right Back At You" - Mobb Deep, Rae, Ghost (if you dnt have THE INFAMOUS -- then why not?????)
"Semi-Automatic" - Inspectah Deck, Streetlife, U-God

all tracks you need.

The Earl Of Slander 12.17.2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

"The What" - Biggie & Meth (if you dnt have READY TO DIE, which you should")
"Right Back At You" - Mobb Deep, Rae, Ghost (if you dnt have THE INFAMOUS -- then why not?????)

Dude, I've got a lot to catch up in hip-hop, but not THAT much. Ready To Die is one of those rare albums that's untouchable and stupidly loved/hyped by everyone, and yet still somehow seems underrated when I give it a proper spin, because it's just that fucking good. It's the rap equivalent of like Paranoid or something. Things Done Changed? HOLY SHIT!

The Infamous is of course a classic, although I just tends to get overshadowed by Illmatic even for me for some reason (due to the similarity in sound/period/them being on Nas's side of the Jay-Z beef I guess). That's still no bad reflection on it in itself though. Illmatic is a strong candidate for the best hip-hop album ever, so it can't really compare. Survival Of The Fittest is an amazing track, as in Shook Ones pt II and many others...

noisereductions 12.17.2009 02:49 PM

agreed on READY TO DIE.

ILLMATIC vs THE INFAMOUS is really really tough. They're similar, but miles apart thematically.

Nas tries to keep things very concise and from a singluar point of view. It's very real. Very poetic. Very honest.

Mobb made a horror film on record. It's creepy and paranoid and agressive and over the top lyrically.

I love them both, but in different ways.

The Earl Of Slander 12.17.2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

ILLMATIC vs THE INFAMOUS is really really tough. They're similar, but miles apart thematically.

Nas tries to keep things very concise and from a singluar point of view. It's very real. Very poetic. Very honest.

Mobb made a horror film on record. It's creepy and paranoid and agressive and over the top lyrically.

I love them both, but in different ways.

True. My essential problem with TRULY loving The Infamous I guess is that it's basically Illmatic that made me a rap fan, like the voice of god coming down (well, I got it with Madvillainy, so that would be the other half of my induction), and it was a big part of what music was for me for about a month, and when it was during that period that I branched out into the Infamous, and it couldn't help but suffer when compared at the time. I need to listen to it again now as a more mature hip-hop listener. Haven't put in on for more than one or two tracks in a couple of months.

noisereductions 12.17.2009 03:18 PM

yeah I can understand what yr sayign contextually. I had both albums when they first came out, and I'd say that back them ILLMATIC meant more to me, but over the years INFAMOUS has had sort of a more surprising peeling-back-of-layers thing going on for me. IT's a really really heavy, complex and interesting record that is often overshadowed by other heavy hitters of the same period (ILLMATIC, ENTER THE WU-TANG, READY TO DIE and the likes).

Also, I'd say that Mobb's HELL ON EARTH is way overlooked. And Prodigy's RETURN OF THE MAC is the best thing that he's done since either of those albums.

EVOLghost 12.18.2009 11:43 AM

Bought
stop making sense- talking heads
the who's greatest hits
and srgt pepper lonely hearts club band

all on cassette. My car still rocks the cassette.

demonrail666 12.18.2009 03:14 PM

blunderbuss 12.19.2009 03:05 AM

I knew it was good, but I'd forgotten just how fucking good.

looking glass spectacle 12.19.2009 03:15 AM

The Earl Of Slander 12.20.2009 10:29 PM

Just ordered from Honest Jon's the 4 Men With Beards Deluxe Vinyl Reissue Wallet Breaking Mega Versions of:

John Fahey - America (2LP)

and

Tim Buckley - Blue Afternoon

Hell yeah! Should help with the post-Christmas come down...

Death & the Maiden 12.21.2009 06:00 AM

King Diamond - Abigail

Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil

Judas Priest - Stained Class

viewtiful_alan 12.21.2009 04:27 PM

And as a gift from a friend:

viewtiful_alan 12.21.2009 04:28 PM

Also bought this at the end of my shift, this has been selling like crazy at the CD warehouse I work at today:

wellcharge 12.21.2009 04:45 PM

Derek 12.21.2009 05:16 PM

Everything on this page is pretty cool. Neat!

Pookie 12.21.2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Everything on this page is pretty cool.:rolleyes:

Certainly looks like the bargain bins have been taking a pounding.

noisereductions 12.21.2009 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
Also bought this at the end of my shift, this has been selling like crazy at the CD warehouse I work at today:

I need to get this soon. "Bedrock" is good. "Every Girl" is a great single.