Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

atsonicpark 01.02.2009 07:29 AM

fuck yeah night of the creeps rules

atsonicpark 01.02.2009 07:30 AM

real fiction - 7/10

noisereductions 01.02.2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
fuck yeah night of the creeps rules

I think we've talked about this before, Adam... but seriously, what the hell happened to Fred Dekker? He wrote House (awesome) and did Creeps and Monster Squad (both awesome) and apparently RoboCop 3 (never saw that one) and besides a few episodes of Tales From The Crypt... nada. He had such a great grasp on his own vision of campy horror. Perfect. Just perfect.

Anyway, I hadn't watched Creeps in a long while. I had forgotten how much James Gunn was influenced by it when he made Slither. I think Creeps and Slugs were his two biggest influences if I had to guess.

atsonicpark 01.02.2009 08:50 AM

I just think Robocop 3 ruined him.

gmku 01.02.2009 08:51 AM

Over Christmas vacation in Denver:

Quantum of Solace, second time: It's actually much better the second time around! I really like this now.

Valykrie. Much better than the reviews would lead you to believe. I enjoyed this.

Blood Simple. On DVD. Had not seen this in about 20 years. I remembered almost nothing about it. Not as impressed as I remember feeling on my first viewing, but it's still great.

atsonicpark 01.02.2009 08:53 AM

Really love Blood Simple. The atmosphere and characters in it and the camera work.. all of it is top notch. Granted, at times, the film feels really light, as if nothing's going on, but there's some truely affecting scenes. Just from the atmosphere and music, it seems like an inspiration on David Lynch (specifically Blue Velvet, not released until 2 years later). Love that ending too.

atsonicpark 01.02.2009 08:57 AM

Regarding Dekker:

He is currently working on a, "scary, end-of-the-world thriller."

Also, he says on the Monster Squad DVd commentary that yes, Robocop 3 killed his career.

gmku 01.02.2009 09:08 AM

Dekker should do the next Bond.

atsonicpark 01.02.2009 09:11 AM

haha

gmku 01.02.2009 09:13 AM

Or the Cohen brothers. Now there would a Bond movie to end all Bond movies!

me. 01.02.2009 10:09 AM

Funky Forest - First Contact

First film i saw with a A side and B side.

atsonicpark 01.02.2009 10:15 AM

^^^ That film is INSANE. One of the craziest films I've ever seen.

ALIEN ANAL 01.02.2009 10:36 AM

holy shit
i just watched a handful of clips on youtube of Funky forest

its so outragious
from what i seen it was fantastic

i gotta hunt for this on dvd now

atsonicpark 01.02.2009 10:38 AM

Be warned, it's EXTREMELY Japanese and probably not what you'd expect from the trailer. It's like 2 hours and 45 minutes long too. The humor is veeeeeeery... particular. And it goes on a bit too long and can be a bit much to take, but it is a brilliant slice of Japanese humor. I'd also reccomend Survive Style 5+ and the television show !@#$%! introduced me to, Vermillion Pleasure Nights.

viewtiful_alan 01.02.2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
I completley agree.
Today: Birth of a nation
For the first half I hated it, but by the end I thought it was a pretty damn good movie.,

ok yeah let me clarify here... I had to watch it for history class (had to watch a civil war movie, and the teacher told me specificlaly she'd be impressed if I watched this one).
And the first half of it I didn't know what to make of it and was rather bored, but the second half (where controversy arises) was actually quite well made and regardless of message I was deffinitley intrigued and kind of haunted.

fugazifan 01.02.2009 12:09 PM

amadeus

i also bought
intruder
and
demons (bava + argento)

both looked like fin movies and cost like $2.5
so even if they are not great....

gualbert 01.02.2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Be warned, it's EXTREMELY Japanese

What do you mean by that?

atsonicpark 01.02.2009 12:17 PM

Intruder, the one by scott spiegel? That film is awesome. some of the weirdest camera angles ever too!

DEMONS is great. Very mean spirited and graphic with a hair metal 80's soundtrack and a guy with a sword and a motorcycle.

atsonicpark 01.02.2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gualbert
What do you mean by that?

As I elaborated after a few sentences in that post, the humor is of a very particular style that most people probably won't "get" unless they're familiar with Japanese culture and comedy to begin with.

noisereductions 01.02.2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Intruder, the one by scott spiegel? That film is awesome. some of the weirdest camera angles ever too!

Intrudor is a masterpiece. I can't believe it's still so obscure. I have a bootleg of it that I cherish. The death scenes are incredible, and the cast is great. Plus the ending with Bruce Campbell kicks ass.