Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Alex's Trip 12.14.2008 12:46 PM

My friends and I wanted to watch a movie, one wanted to watch Magnolia but blockbuster didn't have it (wtf?) so I made them watch Harold and Maude, one of my favorite movies, and they loved it. They were a little wary of the old vaginas though.

noisereductions 12.14.2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

fuck. I give it a 1/10
fucking terrible boring boring endless scenes with stupid women talking stupid shit. so fucking pointless and dumb.

Damn, everybody bashes this movie. I love it. I've watched it so many times. I hated the Rodriguez one, though. Which everyone seems to like.

Florya 12.14.2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Damn, everybody bashes this movie. I love it. I've watched it so many times. I hated the Rodriguez one, though. Which everyone seems to like.

I like em both, but I prefer the Rodriguez one.

I wish he would make 'Machete!' - the film in the fake trailer.

noisereductions 12.14.2008 01:29 PM

I wish Eli Roth would really make Thanksgiving!!! I loved the nod to The Majorettes (the trampoline part).

LifeDistortion 12.14.2008 02:14 PM

The thing I hated about "Grindhouse" was they promised a hard R, with blood, sex, and all that good stuff, and then they edited out the sex. Like in "Planet Terror", I know Rose Mcgowan has done her share of sex and nudity in other films but damn I bummed when they cut the sex scene short, and it was cool seeing Rico from Six Feet Under kicking ass. I really liked "Death Proof" as well, lots of dialogue, kind of goes with the terrority with Tarantino.

Alex's Trip 12.14.2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florya
I like em both, but I prefer the Rodriguez one.

I wish he would make 'Machete!' - the film in the fake trailer.

I heard he is supposed to be making it. No clue if it's true though.

Antagon 12.14.2008 04:33 PM

Ultraviolet

Well it was bad indeed, but in a hilarious way

atsonicpark 12.14.2008 05:38 PM

Yeah, Death Proof is a -10/10.

Probably the worst film I've ever seen. Down there with Gangs of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, Death Racers, Ankle Biters, Room 666, and the Matrix Revolutions, etc...

For the record, I wasn't a huge fan of Rodriguez's either. It was entertaining, though -- something Death Proof is not in the least. There's just absolutely nothing to like in Death Proof.

The only thing I liked about grindhouse were the fake trailers.

noisereductions 12.14.2008 06:13 PM

Haha. Adam, we seriously somehow end up on this nr-loves-death-proof-atsonic-hates-it thing in this very thread every 3 months or so.

atsonicpark 12.14.2008 06:24 PM

true.,

acousticrock87 12.14.2008 06:25 PM

Grindhouse was exactly what I expected. Rodriguez didn't pull out the stops and Tarantino had a good laugh. Who watches a Tarantino movie without expecting endless petty dialogue? The ending to Death Proof was fucking ballsy, though.

atsonicpark 12.14.2008 06:29 PM

I at least expect for the dialog to be entertaining or have some kind of point. I've tried to appreciate the movie on many different levels; as an anti-film, as some kind of experimental piece, etc. Really, whatever angle you look at it from, it's an embarassment to film.

noisereductions 12.14.2008 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I at least expect for the dialog to be entertaining or have some kind of point. I've tried to appreciate the movie on many different levels; as an anti-film, as some kind of experimental piece, etc. Really, whatever angle you look at it from, it's an embarassment to film.

The dialogue not having a point Was the point. I thought the dialogue was so spot-on as a 70's exploitation film. I mean, I'm sure you've seen tons of the real ones, and often that's what the dialogue was... it was just something pointless to kill time between the violence and nudity.

That's what Death Proof was completely. It was an 80 minute device that was designed around a (couple of) great violent scenes. In that regard, I think the movie was incredible because it accomplished that perfectly.

Also, on a side note, the music kicked ass (although the soundtrack was a bit too good for a grindhouse flick in reality, though not necessarily by miles-- remember that Sun Ra was sang in BASKET CASE).

PLANET TERROR on the other hand was in fact what I'd consider too obvious. It didn't show the same enthusiasm for the sub-genres they were intending to homage that DEATH PROOF did.

atsonicpark 12.14.2008 06:57 PM

I got the "point" of the film, but endless boring talking about nothing and a girl riding on a car was not entertaining. And, really, that's what a film like that should be about: entertainment. And yeah Planet Terror was just some new age horror film with a few clever touches. It was pretty lame... though again had a few entertaining parts.

The whole grindhouse project in general sucked, and I'm glad it failed big time... but the trailers for Don't and Thanksgiving were great. That little 1 minute 30 seconds of trailer is Eli Roth's best work ever!

atsonicpark 12.14.2008 06:58 PM

Glad you mentioned Basket Case by the way. Love those films... love Brain Damage and Frankenhooker. Now THOSE are great movies.

schizophrenicroom 12.14.2008 07:58 PM

fight club.

Sonic Youth 37 12.14.2008 08:07 PM

^ I do believe you just broke rules 1 and 2.

noisereductions 12.14.2008 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Glad you mentioned Basket Case by the way. Love those films... love Brain Damage and Frankenhooker. Now THOSE are great movies.

Anything he touched was amazing. He finally did a new film, with RA The Rugged Man... haven't seen it yet.

atsonicpark 12.14.2008 09:40 PM

yeah, bad biology. I heard it's awesome. Can't wait till it's on dvd.

Rob Instigator 12.15.2008 12:43 AM

tarantino's dialogue normally resonates with the plot in a very visceral way and grindhouse sounded like a lazy writer wanking off. when you make an "homage" to something that in actuality was , honestly, crap fucking movies, you do not try and copy the CRAP! Like "let me show the audience hlow boring and banal the grindhouse movies were by boring the fuck out of them! "

yuck