Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.26.2013 03:04 PM

Its too bad that Tenacious D never crossed that Zappa level where their comedy music become so bitingly satirical so as to become serious music! A lot people never got Zappa, they thought it was just comedy music, but it was so much deeper than that. Zappa's music perfectly encapsulated just how stupid it is being an American.

Rob Instigator 07.26.2013 03:19 PM

It's too bad that short fat balding musicians with amazing talent get no respect in the music industry.

Huey Lewis and the News would have withered on the bar-scene vine if they were trying to make it in today's "musical" climate..

Not to say they are great or anything, but when radio rules, your sound was your calling card, and your looks were more of a quick advert. Now your look is your draw, and your rep and your whole definition, and everything sounds like it was produced by the asshole who recorded all those shitty LIVE and CREED albums.....

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.26.2013 03:22 PM

Again, what killed Tenacious D was they never crossed that threshold to make their music seem intentionally serious. They played themselves as a novelty, as just some kind of musical skit comedy show, and that was NOT what Zappa and the Mothers were doing, even though the Mothers are probably the most hilarious music ever performed. Still, while being funny, the Mothers never lost sight of being legitimate musicians, not just some kind of schticky comedy routine.. I don't think Jack Black ever really took that shit all to serious.

Rob Instigator 07.26.2013 03:53 PM

I think they took the musicianship serious, but the aim was to be funny.

I hate their electric LP though. hated it when it came out. I like the acoustic freakouts.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.26.2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I think they took the musicianship serious, but the aim was to be funny.

I hate their electric LP though. hated it when it came out. I like the acoustic freakouts.

I don't. Sure, the songs were played in a generally proficient manner, but they always felt disingenuous, almost like a parody of themselves. Again, Jack Black was very clearly trying to make this some kind of extended stand up comedy thing, but they had some marginal talent as musicians, and could have made something a bit better. Though, very few if any people have been able to navigate that world with the satirical seriousness of Frank Zappa and survive.. The guy was like the Salvidor Dali of music, you couldn't take him too serious, but definitely don't take him for a joke.

Bytor Peltor 07.26.2013 04:57 PM

Severian 07.26.2013 08:56 PM

Tenacious D... I'm not exactly up to date on them... (Aren't they basically just an HBO show now, or have they turned into an app or something now?) ...
However, I did see them after their first (only?) album came out, and they definitely have skill. Jack Black is a genuinely proficient guitarist. He knows how to play the thing. He could step in and record as a studio guitarist for any metal band, and the end result would be convincing.

That said, nobody should be comparing him to Frank Zappa. Different worlds. Weird Al is good at playing some instruments, and can probably at least jam a bit on ALL of them. But does that mean we should be comparing him to Beck?

Tenacious D was never intended to cross the bridge, and turn into a serious band. Frank Zappa was never, at any point in his career, a comedian. He was serious in the best way. I can think of only a small handful of artists who can truly be compared to the Mothers of Invention... "The D" are not one of them.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.26.2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Tenacious D... I'm not exactly up to date on them... (Aren't they basically just an HBO show now, or have they turned into an app or something now?) ...
However, I did see them after their first (only?) album came out, and they definitely have skill. Jack Black is a genuinely proficient guitarist. He knows how to play the thing. He could step in and record as a studio guitarist for any metal band, and the end result would be convincing.

That said, nobody should be comparing him to Frank Zappa. Different worlds. Weird Al is good at playing some instruments, and can probably at least jam a bit on ALL of them. But does that mean we should be comparing him to Beck?

Tenacious D was never intended to cross the bridge, and turn into a serious band. Frank Zappa was never, at any point in his career, a comedian. He was serious in the best way. I can think of only a small handful of artists who can truly be compared to the Mothers of Invention... "The D" are not one of them.

A lot of Frank Zappa was very openly a mockery of "comedy music" and so I agree, its like artificial apple flavoring to the primal apple in the Eden gardens of the Caucasus region where apples originated. Like some freeze-dried coffee to some fresh roasted, wild grown coffee in Yirgecheffe in Southern Ethiopia, where coffee originated. However, apples are apples, coffee is coffee, and Frank Zappa was intentionally trying to be funny, hence comedy. Now was he not being serious? No. Was it deeply satiric? Of course. But people like Joan Boaz or Kurt Cobain are funny in music in a different way and to degree than Frank Zappa. And yes, 1966- 1970 and the Mothers was not exactly serious, in fact, its fucking hilarious in way that makes Tenacious D seem quaint, boring even ;)

One of my all-time favorite fucking tracks ever!!

Trama 07.27.2013 05:33 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VGoEU2znI0

Bytor Peltor 07.27.2013 07:36 AM

Dr Chocolate 07.27.2013 08:21 AM

the 7' single version of I'm The Slime by Frank Zappa

louder 07.27.2013 02:03 PM

Bytor Peltor 07.29.2013 02:38 AM

http://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000014...op.jpg?ca77017

hirsute_biped 07.29.2013 07:28 PM

Just now getting into electric Miles Davis...

Complete In A Silent Way Sessions
Complete Bitches Brew Sessions
Bitches Brew Live
Live At the Fillmore East
Tribute to Jack Johnson
Live-Evil
Get Up On It
Complete On The Corner Sessions
Agharta
Pangea

Really want to get Complete Jack Johnson Sessions, Cellar Door Sessions, Dark Magus, etc...

pad_023 07.30.2013 08:48 AM

New Magik Markers single Ice Skater/Machines

Rob Instigator 07.31.2013 08:48 AM

This helps in traffic to and from work.

This thing is funny, cuz the 10" vinyl I have shows no song titles, but the digital copy I have has titles. I guess that is not funny.

sonic sphere 07.31.2013 10:31 AM

louder 08.01.2013 10:35 AM

stu666 08.01.2013 01:16 PM

sonic sphere 08.02.2013 09:40 AM