Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Aphex Twin (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9897)

Everyneurotic 10.13.2007 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
The Aphex Twin has managed to stand above his contemporaries by being the most inventive figure in a fairly conservative scene...

that's how i described pita in a recent review, with different words. and in spanish.

i love aphex twin but not so much that warrants repeated listens, when i heard afx, i love it.

ZEROpumpkins 10.14.2007 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Richard D. James album probably features his best melodies. But I'd go for Druqks. It has EVERYTHING (if you, um, like EVERYTHING): prepared piano solos, super-complex drum programming at times, minimal drumming at other times, pure on melodic mayhem, straight-up techno bounciness, etc etc etc. Every shade of Richard is on Drukqs. It's great and underrated.

Because I am a drummer (I can't stop tapping on everything) I prefer the songs with amazing drum programming. Should Drukqs still be the nest step?

PAULYBEE2656 10.14.2007 05:19 AM

afx is great. genius when he is great. annoying little arty fuck when he is terrible..
i prefer his more analogy stuff. the analogue bubblebath series is amazing. so too his analord series. as for albums. i love i care because you do and richard d james but druqks is priobably my favourite just because of its insaneness coupled with his beauty.......

ZEROpumpkins 10.14.2007 05:21 AM

So I should check it out then?

PAULYBEE2656 10.14.2007 05:33 AM

oh yeah! for sure. it aint gonna hurt!

atsonicpark 10.14.2007 07:18 AM

yeah, druqks has his best drum programming and.. it's a very varied album, but all of it's good.

i think it's something like: 1. druqks, 2. richard d james album, 3. i care because you do, followed by various non-ambient ep's, and then finally 5. selected ambient works i, 6. selected ambient works ii.

Hip Priest 10.14.2007 10:15 AM

If you register at the We ARe The Music Makers site there's an Aphex Twin forum (http://forum.watmm.com/index.php?showforum=7) which has a big list of shows you can download (see http://forum.watmm.com/index.php?showtopic=4785).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Massive bump.
I got Richard D. James album today and it's very good. Where should I go from here? I'm thinking "I care because you do"

If you like that then I would indeed suggest the previous LP, I Care Because You Do. Also Selected Ambient Works Vol. 1.

Don't forget about his various aliases. As AFX, there's the recent(ish) 'Analord' series, with the 'Chosen Lords' compilation of some of the tracks. All of the 'Analord' releases are very good.

I would say one essential is the 'Surfing on Sine Waves' LP, recorded as Polygon Window.

Also...his own Rephlex abel recently released recordings by 'The Tuss'. Although The Tuss is supposedly two musicians, Brian and Karen Tregaskin, many people believe with some justification that it is another Aphex Twin alias.

atsonicpark 10.14.2007 10:39 AM

EH???

Hip Priest 10.14.2007 10:41 AM

Pardon?

Everyneurotic 10.14.2007 11:59 AM

ohh yeah!! the tuss!!! i was talking about this the other day but i haven't listened to it yet.

and yes, all of the analord series is awesome, listen to all of them in one sitting, that's the way to hear them.

atsonicpark 10.14.2007 12:20 PM

Hip Priest

you said "you should get Richard D James album next" right after he said "I got the Richard D. James album". Tha'ts why I said.. eh?

Anyway...

WINDOWLICKER

Hip Priest 10.14.2007 03:13 PM

Oh yes, thank you. Edited. Forgive me: I'm quite, quite mad.

fugazifan 10.14.2007 06:41 PM

windowlicker is all i have,
its awsome.
i had the richard d james album
but it was stolen

EMMAh 10.14.2007 10:43 PM

I love Aphex Twin, Xtal is the best song to sleep too.

_slavo_ 10.15.2007 01:48 AM

Chosen Lords by his moniker AFX is my ever favourite one.

ZEROpumpkins 10.15.2007 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan
windowlicker is all i have,
its awsome.
i had the richard d james album
but it was stolen

Have you done the spectral analises of the second track, equation? You can see Richard's face, but I don't have a good enough program to see it.

ZEROpumpkins 10.27.2007 02:26 AM

I bought Drukqs today. It's very good.

atsonicpark 10.27.2007 08:29 AM

yes.

sarramkrop 10.27.2007 01:25 PM

I'll never understand why this guy gets called a genius, when he clearly isn't. The funny thing is that he would admit that he isn't himself, I'm sure.

atsonicpark 10.27.2007 03:26 PM

Hmm, well, "genius" is a term thrown around way too much, and throwing "genius" at someone who just pushes buttons on sequencers may be a bit much, but who can't deny that he is a brilliant programmer and comes up with some amazing melodies ("Richard D. James Album" has some of the best melodies of all time). Plus, he is equally good at making music in any subgenre within the electronic genre.. so, yeah. He's quite great!