Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Recommend me (or someone else) a book (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6755)

Radioactive Poltergeist 10.06.2006 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMMAh
No, I haven't. I couldn't really understand the info I read on it though, what's it about?

It's about this guy who hitch hikes and drives round the United States in the 40's looking for freedom and jazz and romantic shit like that. It's a classic of the beat generation and another of my favourite books. You'd really like it.

Radioactive Poltergeist 10.06.2006 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
I didn't think The Trail was that easy...at least grasping the meaning of it (which I fear I missed),

Well, easy in the sense that the literature flows well. The meaning I agree is very obscure, though I think there are hints of the author dealing with anti semitism, among other things. You know, he's being persecuted, but he doesn't know why, and when he tries to find out, the answers are impossible and just lead him further down this existentialist nightmare.

Man, what a great book.

EMMAh 10.06.2006 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radioactive Poltergeist
It's about this guy who hitch hikes and drives round the United States in the 40's looking for freedom and jazz and romantic shit like that. It's a classic of the beat generation and another of my favourite books. You'd really like it.

Awesome, I may look into getting that :)

static-harmony 10.06.2006 06:49 PM

Why don't you get The Perks of being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, It was really a good read.

EMMAh 10.06.2006 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by static-harmony
Why don't you get The Perks of being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, It was really a good read.

That does sound really good :)

static-harmony 10.06.2006 07:00 PM

It is about a kid coming of age, it is somewhat like The Catcher in the Rye, oh there is another one if you haven't read it.

EMMAh 10.06.2006 07:03 PM

I haven't, I also heard that that's really good as well.

static-harmony 10.06.2006 07:05 PM

Yeah, also if you haven't picked it up, read Confusion is Next: The Sonic Youth Stoy- By Alec Foege. It has cool picture, and some good insight on the No Wave scene as far as I read into this scene.

finding nobody 10.06.2006 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by static-harmony
Yeah, also if you haven't picked it up, read Confusion is Next: The Sonic Youth Stoy- By Alec Foege. It has cool picture, and some good insight on the No Wave scene as far as I read into this scene.

Word

Cantankerous 10.06.2006 07:28 PM

Confusion Is Next is HORRIBLE.

Radioactive Poltergeist 10.06.2006 07:36 PM

I didn't think it was horrible, just really really average.

golden child 10.06.2006 07:38 PM

crime in punishment isnt a pleasure?
fuck that was one of the pleasurest books i read in awhile, highly recommended.

dont read the perks of being a wallflower PLEASE, read catcher in the rye if you must but avoid this book, about 99% of anything "coming of age" sucks ass.

id suggest "tropic of cancer" by henry miller.

EMMAh 10.06.2006 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golden child
crime in punishment isnt a pleasure?
fuck that was one of the pleasurest books i read in awhile, highly recommended.

dont read the perks of being a wallflower PLEASE, read catcher in the rye if you must but avoid this book, about 99% of anything "coming of age" sucks ass.

id suggest "tropic of cancer" by henry miller.

Alright, hahaha I wont get The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
Tropic of Cancer sounds pretty cool.

I'm going to have a hard time choosing a book cause a lot of the suggestions are really good.

Radioactive Poltergeist 10.06.2006 08:10 PM

I went to get Tropic of Cancer out from my local library and the clerk there insisted I had to be 18.

Good book.

youthoftomorrow 10.06.2006 10:05 PM

get Burning Chrome or Neuromancer, both by William Gibson.

k-krack 10.06.2006 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radioactive Poltergeist
Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky
The Trial by Franz Kafka
The Plague by Albert Camus

those are my three favourite books, at the moment at least. I'm assuming you've read On the Road, but you need to if you havent.

I listened to a couple of Kafka's short stories (on cd) during a drive home from montreal. wonderful, they were. One was about an ape who learned to drink, and does a lecture somewhere.. a school?

racehorse 10.07.2006 06:55 AM

"junkie" by william burroughs

The Lung 10.07.2006 09:46 AM

Great trippy book with amazing illustrations

blue sunlover 10.07.2006 09:50 AM

if you haven t read jack kerrouak on the road read this .

touch me i'm sick 10.07.2006 11:04 AM

perks of being a wallflower wasn't that great at all. it's one of those godamn young adult books that are predictable as hell.