Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   some cheap jazzmaster imitations that seem ok (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=36116)

hevusa 12.09.2009 03:11 AM

still not convinced...
no one here has even played these guitars (that might be pieces of shit).

Jeremy 12.09.2009 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
still not convinced...

The pieces themselves are worth a bit. At the very least if the guitar isn't great (It's probably a fairly solid guitar), then you can always use the parts for something else. Like StevOK hinted at, you can always mod it.

~Jeremy~

hevusa 12.09.2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy
The pieces themselves are worth a bit. At the very least if the guitar isn't great (It's probably a fairly solid guitar), then you can always use the parts for something else. Like StevOK hinted at, you can always mod it.

~Jeremy~

My guess is the neck is such a POS that modding wouldn't even be worth it. Sometimes you get what you pay for in life... and I think that to be the case here as well.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.09.2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

still not convinced...

200 bucks for an Alder Jazzmaster

You know how much an Alder Jazzmaster body costs from Warmoth?

175 dollars. And that's without a paint job, pickguard, hardware, electronics, or anything. A pickguard costs 30 dollars.

You can get good replacements for all the other main parts (bridge, trem, pickups, neck, tuners) for about 400 dollars. . . if you like the neck, knock off 200. If you like the tuners, knock off about 30 bucks. If you like the bridge or trem, knock off about 45 bucks for either of those. IF you like the pickups, knock off about 80 bucks.

Anyway you look at it, you're getting a jazzmaster cheaper than any fender.

wellcharge 12.09.2009 03:18 PM

the best thing about the jm is the body(good sound,looks cool,comfy as fuck to hold) and the tremolo system, you can get both for $200 bucks here so....

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.09.2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

My guess is the neck is such a POS that modding wouldn't even be worth it. Sometimes you get what you pay for in life... and I think that to be the case here as well.

I've bought guitars anywhere from 75-200 dollars that could knock the socks off of some of the pricier guitars I've played.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.09.2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge
the best thing about the jm is the body(good sound,looks cool,comfy as fuck to hold) and the tremolo system, you can get both for $200 bucks here so....

Exactly!

wellcharge 12.09.2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

with most companies what you pay for is largely a mark-up. and development, fender spends thousands designing a guitar and passes the cost on to you, the knock off companies just xerox fendergibsonwhatever's hard work and put jack shit into development of new ideas,and since you buy it direct there's no retailer mark up.
also they're probably made by children in china, that def. lowers the cost

hevusa 12.09.2009 07:46 PM

you guys should buy one and post a review here.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.09.2009 07:48 PM

I might, I'm not sure though. . . so many other things I want to spend my money on right now.

Jeremy 12.11.2009 04:15 PM

You know what I think companies should do that make their own Jazz/Jag imitations? Use crazy colors like the original models had, that over time Fender has discontinued. That would make knockoff versions stand out more I think.

~Jeremy~

wellcharge 12.11.2009 09:28 PM

i don't think i would personally ever buy a crazy color instrument

Jeremy 12.11.2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge
i don't think i would personally ever buy a crazy color instrument

No, I'm talking about the old color schemes Jaguars and Jazzmasters used to have, like a dark blue body with a purple pickguard, something of that sort. I think it would make the imitations stand out.

~Jeremy~

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.11.2009 11:22 PM

What I really love is the Candy Apple Red Jags and Jazzies that also had red tortoise shell

like this:

Jeremy 12.11.2009 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
What I really love is the Candy Apple Red Jags and Jazzies that also had red tortoise shell

like this:

I agree, colors like that. My dream guitar is a red/red Jazzmaster, just like the colors above. One day I'll have it.

~Jeremy~

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.12.2009 12:01 AM

I'd personally like it better with a matching headstock and block inlays

like this (except without those ugly gold tuners):

Jeremy 12.12.2009 02:43 AM

I'd fall in love with it either way. One day, one day.....

~Jeremy~

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.12.2009 04:00 PM

some other stuff:

That last one is my favorite

StevOK 12.12.2009 04:33 PM

*fap fap fap fap*

SuperCreep 12.12.2009 04:58 PM

"post pictures of hot guitars."