Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Acoustic “Starpower” on Gossip Girl (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=33642)

noisereductions 08.14.2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
1. Geffen in 1990. 2. Hits Are For Squares for Starbucks in 2007 3. and now number 3!!!
Thats a lot of times to sell out, damn they just get better at it everytime. This'll probably upset some people, but who cares.
Sounds great - anyone know when it's due to be broadcast?

You forgot about Gilmore Girls. And Marc Jacobs. And blah blah blah. And really, who gives a crap? Anyone who still blabs about SY's Selling Out is a total moron. If you don't see the awesome absurdity in the things they do (a la Starbucks) then you just don't get it, and never will.

nicfit 08.14.2009 11:42 AM

I bless every chance to get them release something new.

Chris Lawrence 08.14.2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe
Did they record it in Portland?

indeed!

i've never seen the show, but any venue that gets them to revisit 'starpower' is okay by me. i was a huge gilmore girls fan and didn't think much of their cameo on there (totally jealous coco got to go to stars hollow though!).

now the question: who will sing?

Chris Lawrence 08.14.2009 12:27 PM

oh i forgot, it's 2009, they'll all sing it together. :D

noisereductions 08.14.2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
indeed!

i was a huge gilmore girls fan

my wife and I are re-watching Season 1 now.

Chris Lawrence 08.14.2009 12:40 PM

do yourself a favour and stop at the end of season 6 (which is the ep SY appear in, incidentally).

schizophrenicroom 08.14.2009 01:06 PM

it went to season eight, right? second ep of season 7 i quit watching

static-harmony 08.14.2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
gossip girl is actually quite a witty show- the books are trash but the show is fairly tongue in cheek and knows how to mess with the 12 year olds watching it who omg luv the books. i mean, the characters put on a play of edith whartons the age of innocence. i thought that was hilarious because the writers write the show to be a send up of that book almost.

I LOVE GOSSIP GIRL AND I AM SO EXCITED

What she said. I can't wait to see it.

flophousefloozie 08.14.2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

indeed!

i've never seen the show, but any venue that gets them to revisit 'starpower' is okay by me. i was a huge gilmore girls fan and didn't think much of their cameo on there (totally jealous coco got to go to stars hollow though!).

now the question: who will sing?

Kim is singing!

tesla69 08.14.2009 02:33 PM

I hope they made a lot of money because that show is fucking evil. I turned it on one evening just to see the deal and 2 mins into the conversation was "No man is worth riding a city bus for" besides the poor grammar its just retarded social engineering normalizing the repulsive behavior.

nicfit 08.14.2009 03:03 PM

Do you still own a tv?

infinitemusic 08.14.2009 04:29 PM

Shitty show, awesome song. They can do whatever the hell they want though and I think an acoustic version of "Starpower" is a great idea.

edit: although now that I think about it, why can't they just play the original version on the show? It's not like it's that abrasive or anything. That kind of stuff annoys me. It's a perfect pop song, so who cares if there's a tiny bit of feedback? Is it gonna scare away the people who watch the show or something? I doubt it.

joe11121 08.14.2009 04:59 PM

I think it'll sound awesome.

nancykitten 08.14.2009 06:35 PM

I Will Never Forgive Them For This.

nancykitten 08.14.2009 06:35 PM

just kidding.

The Soup Nazi 08.16.2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

do yourself a favour and stop at the end of season 6 (which is the ep SY appear in, incidentally).

Fuckin' A! The show tanked once Amy Sherman-Palladino took off. And to everybody who thought Gilmore Girls was just another teen bullshit program: name ONE other show in which SY, Yo La Tengo, Sparks and Sam Phillips perform in a single epėsode and one of the main characters reads The Big Takeover, namechecks GREG FUCKING GINN and introduces a high-society broad as Catherine Thurston-Moore.

GuppyFish 08.16.2009 09:56 PM

No access to GG here (though I have seen an episode or two -- meh), but I'll definitely look for the clip on YouTube when some kind soul posts it.

infinitemusic 08.16.2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Fuckin' A! The show tanked once Amy Sherman-Palladino took off. And to everybody who thought Gilmore Girls was just another teen bullshit program: name ONE other show in which SY, Yo La Tengo, Sparks and Sam Phillips perform in a single epėsode and one of the main characters reads The Big Takeover, namechecks GREG FUCKING GINN and introduces a high-society broad as Catherine Thurston-Moore.

Yeah, but the way the characters talk is mindrapingly annoying and an obvious pander to people who like "quirky" characters.

Chris Lawrence 08.16.2009 11:33 PM

not when it's written well. when it's written well it just flows...

unless you're some kinda dumbass.

thunderbird 08.17.2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

edit: although now that I think about it, why can't they just play the original version on the show? It's not like it's that abrasive or anything. That kind of stuff annoys me. It's a perfect pop song, so who cares if there's a tiny bit of feedback? Is it gonna scare away the people who watch the show or something? I doubt it.

maybe they are trying to balance out the fact that some fans may see them as "selling out" by appearing on the show: by offering an acoustic version, we get excited regardless of the fact that it's gossip girl. everybody's happy. i think the exposure will be positive.