Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What is coming NEXT in music? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22925)

Rob Instigator 06.25.2008 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
I think there will be a renewal of interest in the Beatles. We'll see all their albums reissued again, only this time they'll be "better than they've ever sounded."

Mark my words.

they will do this every 20 years until we are all long dead.

Onani Nic 06.25.2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (Mars Volta) kind of has an idea of where it's going at the moment, though. A pallateable mix of salsa, prog, and jazz with traditional guitar rock.

Like Santana?

Rob Instigator 06.25.2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onani Nic
Like Santana?

EXACTLY

been there done that.

batreleaser 06.25.2008 02:16 PM

garagepunkpsychobillyneonowavenoisecoreblackdeathd igitalgrind

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.25.2008 04:18 PM

Whatever it is. Let's hope that it's something beautiful. Something that commands the soul and is full of spirit. It shouldn't be fearful of exploration and experimentation. It's should pertain beautiful melody, mood, dissonance, elements of surprise and perhaps a calm of silence.

However, even with all that...I'm sure the general public will find a way to exploit it from the inside out and inevitably leave it to wither and die.

Rob Instigator 06.25.2008 04:22 PM

that does sound nice.

demonrail666 06.25.2008 04:24 PM

People will rediscover Volcano Suns, and then the shits really gonna hit the fan.

Glice 06.25.2008 04:27 PM

I'm still disappointed that the Welsh hip-hop scene never took off.

MellySingsDoom 06.25.2008 04:39 PM

The new wave of music will comprise of:

1. Shed music - like a Poundland version of House - instead of Masters at Work, there shall be ASBOnators. Imagine the Audio Bullys if they were actually any good.

2. Spodcore - hardcore punk-metal played by 13-year old nerds well into their Dungeon and Dragons. Bolt Thrower shall be their gods

3. Me "inventing" cutlery-electronics - essentially me playing the spoons and putting the resulting mess through distortion and so on. "Harold Steptoe meets Masonna", they will say.

4. Bumhall - dancehall music made by the gays, obviously. First big tune - "Bum Hi Hi" by Anal Banton.

johnnywinternoshow 06.25.2008 07:19 PM

I want to hear lots more like this. Primitive, tribal drumming with a bit of electronic droney stuff

terminal pharmacy 06.25.2008 08:28 PM

c/f

jonathan 06.26.2008 02:08 AM

electronic music will take over as the next big thing. I feel like this whole 8-bit fad is going to be really influential in pop music in the next 10-15 years.

ZEROpumpkins 06.26.2008 02:25 AM

I can't really see how there could be any new progressions in music. I think, at least for rock 'n' roll, it's evolved all it can since it's creation half a century ago.

Death & the Maiden 06.26.2008 02:34 AM

I'm pretty sure this is about something that will be completely new - not a combination of a few genres.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
I can't really see how there could be any new progressions in music. I think, at least for rock 'n' roll, it's evolved all it can since it's creation half a century ago.

That's what people would have said many years ago, and then something like hip-hop came along.

ZEROpumpkins 06.26.2008 02:59 AM

You can think as hard as you want, but there's nowhere music can go now that'd be totally original without being completely shit.

SYRFox 06.26.2008 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
You can think as hard as you want, but there's nowhere music can go now that'd be totally original without being completely shit.

O RLY??

Sorry, but I think you're wrong. Some - lots of - bands are totally original and rock.

sarramkrop 06.26.2008 03:09 AM

You can't really apply absolutism to music, that's why I like to be dragged by it wherever it goes.

_slavo_ 06.26.2008 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ✌➬
I can't wait till we have Mariachi and Hip-hop as one.

ZEROpumpkins 06.26.2008 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
O RLY??

Sorry, but I think you're wrong. Some - lots of - bands are totally original and rock.

Name a band, that isn't Battles, that has formed in the last few years and I will rebut you.

sarramkrop 06.26.2008 03:49 AM

Battles aren't an original band in the slightest, if it comes down to that.