Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bands you regret having seen (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22313)

Pax Americana 06.03.2008 08:28 PM

I paid THIRTY FIVE fucking dollars to see Modest Mouse once, and they sucked. I like them, but they were fucking terrible live. Thirty five dollars... bastards.

evollove 06.03.2008 08:39 PM

^ First time I saw them, they looked pissed, like they had a horrible fight before the show. It's really unnerving having Eric Brock glare at you with intense hatred for over an hour.

Second time I saw them, they were in a pleasant mood and did better, but there is some weird lack of energy they have on stage. They just can't seem to get pumpin'. The albums rock harder for some reason.

I've heard some live MM where they were obviously drunk. Mix this with the "lack of energy" thing, and my oh my it's shitty rock. (I even have a version of "Neverending Math" where, after a verse, Eric says, "Wow. That was shitty," acknowledging the truth and sounding a little surprised at it, maybe even apologetic).

steve newman 06.03.2008 11:47 PM

white zombie twice. once they opened for pantera, the second time the melvins and rev. horton heat opened and we stayed for half a set.

EMMAh 06.03.2008 11:58 PM

Dragon Force, but I was forced to see them sooo...

This one local band that sucked balls. My friend was in love with the singer and dragged me to about 20 of their shows (no joke, we counted one day)

Everyneurotic 06.04.2008 12:02 AM

dragonforce are hilarious; utterly ridiculous.

love them.

EMMAh 06.04.2008 12:09 AM

I wanted to kill myself, honestly.

Every second kid was wearing a Slipknot shirt.

Everyneurotic 06.04.2008 12:12 AM

hahahahahahaha, i would have love to be there for the laughs.

reminds me of when i went to ozzfest, a riot of a time i had...there's stuff i'm still laughing about.

EMMAh 06.04.2008 12:15 AM

Were you dragged there?

My plan was to go to Montreal and hang out/walk around. The people I went with new the plan but refused to let it take place once we got there. I was majorly pissed off and in pain from standing.

Standing at a show is worth the pain only if the band is half decent.

Everyneurotic 06.04.2008 12:21 AM

i see, maybe if you were in on the joke, you would have enjoyed it as something semi-unintentionally funny?

no, i actually went alone, i wanted to see sabbath, priest and slayer and some others; but the things i saw and heard there...man!!!

that's also the day i learned that people in new jersey all smoke menthols. ugh...

EMMAh 06.04.2008 12:27 AM

What joke? Haha

I can kind of imagine the things you would hear at Ozzfest, and I bet they were hilarious.

Also, menthols gross me right out. Apparently they're semi-good to smoke when sick but I've never tried.

Silent Dan Speaks 06.04.2008 12:30 AM

Bob Dylan. Worst concert I've ever been to, including local shows. I didn't mind his voice, but what I did mind was his not giving a shit about the audience, not being into it at all, and turning every song into a nearly identical shitty blues song. I hardly even listen to him anymore.

Everyneurotic 06.04.2008 12:35 AM

my ex-ladyfriend used to smoke them when she bothered to spend on her own smokes so every once in a while i had to partake.

everytime i've been to an outdoors concert in new jersey, i run out of cigs and i have to bum one from somebody and it has ALWAYS been menthol. and they are always gross!!

come to think of it, it reminds me of last year's sounds of the underground; probably the worse festival i've been to besides the vive latino. it wasn't a total wash because i got in there for free, did an interview plus job for a cowboy were great and shadows fall were ok. necro sucked, amon amarth sucked, i didn't see darkest hour but they seemed to be doing the same crap as the last time i saw them, all that remains sucked, everytime i die were amusing and i didn't stick around to see gwar or testament. gwar could have saved my experience but i was already bored of sitting down on the floor drinking ice called piss u.s. people call beer and smoking cigarettes.

EMMAh 06.04.2008 12:41 AM

I hate when people don't buy their own smokes. This one kid at school asks to bum one from me like everyday. I obviously started saying no after the 3rd day of him asking.

I've been the the Warped tour twice, I don't really have any good experiences from that? I saw the Casualties for the first time and they were okay, but they're definitely not one of my favorite bands. The first time I went I didn't get to see any bands that I was slightly interested in.

acdc518 06.04.2008 01:14 AM

I've seen stryper. spinal tap in the flesh

Toilet & Bowels 06.04.2008 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
it's funny though that my favourite show that year (2006) was also by a finnish band, circle.

circle are fantastic live

raging_nelly 06.04.2008 04:44 AM

the twang

why?

HECKLER SPRAY 06.04.2008 04:45 AM

dEUS - Pocket Revolution tour, sept 06 (or 05 ? I'm not sure)
Very disappointed.
I thought it would be more peppy, noisy, experimental...

_slavo_ 06.04.2008 04:55 AM

No Neck Blues Band.

_slavo_ 06.04.2008 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fauni gena
Es was bad live? hmmm. well at least their albums, especially Kaikkeuden Kauneus ja Käsittämättömyys and a Love Cycle, are pretty great i think

I've seen Es and Islaja on the same night. Es was just one guy (the founder of Fonal rec.) solo and he played quite nice keyboards-mic-guitar-through the loop pedal-stuff. Islaja sucked hard though. Especially the guitar player was painfully lame.

MellySingsDoom 06.04.2008 05:07 AM

Esoteric - I left after one song. Godawful fake stoner metal cheese - ugh.
Kreator - I left after 30 seconds. Nostalgic Kraut-Thrash? Nein, Danke!
Prolapse - Arse-indie of the lowest order. I went back to the bar and had a far better time.
Nebula - Sub-standard Deputy Dawg boogie-metal. We left en masse after 10 minutes of the idiot frontman singing about his geetar.
The Herbaliser - at some festival in Finsbury Park in 1997. I was expecting much from these people, and instead got a lame ersatz funk workout. Boooring!
Jackie O Motherfucker - You know you're onto a sure-fire loser when a white experimental band dig out the turntables and start rapping in a non-ironic way.