Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Napalm Deaf - Merzbow (wow) live... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=21333)

pokkeherrie 04.21.2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
there was one bloke standing next to me dancing away, whilst it wasn't funky enough for me to want to dance i could understand that guy's urge because i found that the gradual effect of music was quite joyful, and peaceful in it's intent

Interesting. That reminds me that when I saw him a few years ago there were some people dancing as well and I had a similar feeling towards them. It's not exactly dance music, but the sounds were so overwhelming and omnipresent that it inspired some sort of hard to define energy. I remember thinking at one point that I could vaguely recognise beats somewhere deep within the thick layers of sounds and then wondering whether they were actually there or if I was just hearing them in my head only. I didn't dance (of course) but I remember standing with my eyes closed for a few minutes on end.

sarramkrop 04.21.2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i saw that punk gg allin dude too.

there was one bloke standing next to me dancing away, whilst it wasn't funky enough for me to want to dance i could understand that guy's urge because i found that the gradual effect of music was quite joyful, and peaceful in it's intent

Even though I have never had the honour of seeing Merzbow live, I am not surprised that some people would dance at one of his gigs, as I do it very often myself when I put some of his records on. There's certain stuff that he plays that has fluctuations on it which either make me feel like I'm listening to some rainbow-like house or make me end up quietly headbanging while sat down.

This is not true of his more chaotic and abrasive stuff, which requires instead being able to stand up during an earthquake.

Glice 04.21.2008 02:06 PM

He's a drummer, no? The first record of his I heard was Door is open at 8AM, which was apparently based on jazz drum samples. I didn't dance to him, but there were a few people bobbing. Surprising I didn't dance really, it was a pretty epic throb.

This Is Not Here 04.21.2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
I didn't dance (of course) but I remember standing with my eyes closed for a few minutes on end.

I did this, it was really quite incredible if you did it for like 5 minutes at a time, you really kind of lost yourself after a while. This is going to sound highly pretentious (but hell, I do it so well) but it was a really kind of soul-cleansing experience, something to the same effect as a cold glass of water or breath of country wind - but on a much more intense scale!

This Is Not Here 04.21.2008 04:03 PM

Merzbow was at ULU. Is anyone planning to see Melt Banana at ULU, they're playing two gigs over the coming monthes. I may be hidiously mistaken but aren't they opening for Grandpa Lou at some of his shows, if they are at his London date I won't bother with ULU...

Toilet & Bowels 04.21.2008 04:07 PM

who is grandpa lou?

i shall be going to see both melt banana shows.

This Is Not Here 04.21.2008 04:10 PM

[quote=Toilet & Bowels]who is grandpa lou?
[quote]

Lou Reed!

Excellent, wear an SY t shirt to melt banana next time!