Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Grunge!!!!!!!!! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=19333)

king_buzzo 01.29.2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
Grunge music does not exist.
Grunge style and art however does.

true.

scenes suck though; just like everyone said, theres no need to listen to music just because its in that scene... whatever.

i dont think mudhoney are ripoffs though; they do sound kind of like the stooges but i dont really care; theyre awesome.

gmku 01.29.2008 03:47 PM

Again, I must ask: Does anybody on music message boards really like music?

Seems to me not. Or at least not much.

batreleaser 01.29.2008 04:36 PM

i love mudhoney. and i really like in utero. and i hate all post-badmotorfingr soundgarden. but weve already had this arguement before. mudhoney also has tons of good split cd's. their splits with haloofflies and the cows are both great. theyre both put out by amphetamine reptile, its cool hearing these crazed noise rock bands on the same record as a band like mudhoney. anyways, id rather hear bands ape the stooges shit than have them ape the sound of 90 percent of other bands anyday.

Everyneurotic 01.29.2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Again, I must ask: Does anybody on music message boards really like music?

Seems to me not. Or at least not much.

why do you ask this? because someone doesn't agree with your favorites?

atsonicpark 01.29.2008 07:31 PM

Yeah, grunge sucks. What a completely moronic scene.

I always thought Blur - Song 2 was hilarious because it seemed to parody grunge's stupidity to a t.

Also, why do people say things like "grunge music isn't a genre"? People always say things like that.. "No wave isn't a genre! It was a SCENE!" "There's no such thing as NOISE ROCK!" Etc. People get so fucking tore up over genres. Who gives a fuck?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge

Looks like a genre to me!

dazedcola 01.29.2008 08:09 PM

gee, I wonder why there's suddenly a topic about grunge ? Could it be the recent simpsons episode that sent you off on a bitch rant?

uhler 01.29.2008 08:15 PM

people still watch the simpsons?

LittlePuppetBoy 01.29.2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazedcola
Could it be the recent simpsons episode that sent you off on a bitch rant?

I just read the synopsis of it. It completely contradicts the earlier episodes which showed Homer and Marges earlier lives. It doesn't work at all with the canon of the Simpsons

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 01.29.2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Yeah, grunge sucks. What a completely moronic scene.

I always thought Blur - Song 2 was hilarious because it seemed to parody grunge's stupidity to a t.

Also, why do people say things like "grunge music isn't a genre"? People always say things like that.. "No wave isn't a genre! It was a SCENE!" "There's no such thing as NOISE ROCK!" Etc. People get so fucking tore up over genres. Who gives a fuck?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge

Looks like a genre to me!

I say this because you look at the bands that are labeled grunge and maybe two or three even sound simmular. I just consider Grunge more of an era of music than a genre.

Norma J 01.29.2008 08:26 PM

Whatever Nirvana were, Kurt was a great songwriter. Someone who just had the gift of writing a tune whether it was complicated or just using two chords.

I never disliked Soundgarden by any means, but I never really got into them, although a sibling was into them alot. I'm not really a fan of Chris Cornell, his voice is not my kinda voice.

As for Mudhoney, it's the same kinda thing, just minus the voice thing.

atsonicpark 01.29.2008 10:04 PM

I've seen every episode of the Simpsons...

up to about 2 seasons ago. That show sucks now.

Nirvana.. I think "Bleach" and "Incesticide" are great albums and definitely pretty fucking grunge. But "grunge" as a whole was moronic and ridiculous.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 01.29.2008 10:11 PM

Yeah if I had to give grunge a sounds it'd be "Bleach".

batreleaser 01.29.2008 10:40 PM

yes grunge sucked. but in the late 80's, prior to the explosion of nirvana pearl jam (puke) and alice in chains (double puke), there were definitley some cool bands around seatlle and it was cool because there had always been good tunes comin out of seattle and then all of a sudden people noticed seattle and im a rambling moron who is defending a music genre that i dont even like besides one band and one other record (and the mevlins, as was said before, are not grunge)

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 01.29.2008 10:44 PM

Alice in chains is good shit, in my opinion.

LittlePuppetBoy 01.29.2008 10:51 PM

Mudhoney are pretty good

The U-Men (though the "grunge" tag is debatable) are fucking awesome.

Everyneurotic 01.30.2008 12:03 AM

there's a grunge episode in the simpsons?

(besides "homerpalooza" featuring classic rocker peter framton, hip hoppers cypress hill, second generation no wavers sonic youth plus smashing pumpkins).

Everyneurotic 01.30.2008 12:05 AM

and the reason i started this thread is for things like this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
talking about music. its weird. smth i was thinking today. i have many bands that i only knew/know by name, bands of previous decades. the ones i got to learn about past years but didnt know their existence i have the energy to explore and listen to. the ones i said before, that i only knew by name, i dont have the same enegry. one is residents. listened again this morning and i know its sounds i would love. so id better get that energy and explore more. at least this band.
^ that was off topic
grunge, i had my share largly back then. i cant go back listen to that stuff. dont have time for this. mudhoney ruled indeed. dino, i tried, but never really liked. i ll think of smth better to say later,i have to go now.

as in let's talk about music again!!!

batreleaser 01.30.2008 12:38 AM

alice in chains is just a motley crue who missed the 80's and changed their sounds to move with the times and inexplicanly became millionaires because of it.

✌➬ 01.30.2008 12:38 AM

I always considered Nirvana Pop, I never considered them rock or anything. However whenever a band no matter what genre they be r&b, rock, country, etc. I always considered them pop when they hit mainstream. Two me there is two types Pop and non-Pop, all music is susceptible to being pop. It is just when it is released to the mainstream that matters.

Everyneurotic 01.30.2008 12:44 AM

alice in chains were so intense.