Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   A thread about Radiohead (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15027)

k-krack 07.25.2007 09:52 PM

I don't care much for the Bends, and I haven't heard Pablo Honey (I hear it's no good...) btu every album since then has been consistantly incredible and awe-inspiring. With each album, they have gotten better and better and better, it's awesome! I used to like Amnesiac more than Kid A, but in recent times (months) that's gradually changed. Kid A is fantastic! My favourite is still HTTT, however.

Everyneurotic 07.25.2007 09:53 PM

they do qualify themselves as a pop band.

the bends pwns, brah.

zedius 07.25.2007 09:59 PM

I think some of you kids have a different, more satisfying mainstream than I do.

atsonicpark 07.25.2007 10:10 PM

yeah, really...

pbradley 07.25.2007 10:27 PM

I use to be really into Radiohead when I was between 14 to 17 years old. The Coldplay/Radiohead comparison is an extremely superficial observation but I'm not so surprised from it coming from people that have only heard singles. I believe Amensiac and Kid A are the obvious death nails for such a judgement.

They're a creative, intelligent band that gets the attention they deserve. Too bad some people are too "hardcore" for good, popular music.

Everyneurotic 07.25.2007 10:30 PM

my favorite part about them, and the one thing they inspired me in my former band to do, is that they can be experimental (as in trying, new different, barely charted territories) while remaining incredibly simple and catchy in their melodies.

they are the masters of the arrangement.

atsonicpark 07.25.2007 11:12 PM

totally agree everyneurotic. listen to a song like "We suck young blood"... if you pay attention to the melodies and what's actually going on, it's incredibly simple... but the way it's arranged and the ideas are employed makes it brilliant...

CHOUT 07.25.2007 11:35 PM

Kinda lost interest in them...

SynthethicalY 07.25.2007 11:36 PM

I love the Bends, I think I like it better than Ok Computer.

Norma J 07.26.2007 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
I use to be really into Radiohead when I was between 14 to 17 years old. The Coldplay/Radiohead comparison is an extremely superficial observation but I'm not so surprised from it coming from people that have only heard singles. I believe Amensiac and Kid A are the obvious death nails for such a judgement.

They're a creative, intelligent band that gets the attention they deserve. Too bad some people are too "hardcore" for good, popular music.

Generalise why don't don't you.

haha so many people have gotten upset because I've said I, yes that's right, I do not really like their music and think they look like Coldplay (which they do), not sound like Coldplay. But what's wring with Coldplay? Not cool enough for Radiohead fans?

I like bands whether popular or not. Someone made the comment that it's a miracle they're popular, like they're some 'out there' band, and I said I see how they're popular as they fit the mainstream mould. That's not my reason for not being fond of them - I just don't dig them - they don't offer me anything.

We can like different bands, pbradley, without you making stupid generalisations.

_slavo_ 07.26.2007 02:09 AM

Exactly what everyneurotic and atsonicpark said:

They're:

- experimental yet catchy
- aggresive yet tender
- popular among masses yet not selling out and maintaining the anti-establishment attitude
- beautiful yet beautiful

I'm not as much of a diehard as I used to be some 10 years ago, however I still have much respect for the band. And yes, Kid A is a top-notch record.

pbradley 07.26.2007 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
Generalise why don't don't you.

haha so many people have gotten upset because I've said I, yes that's right, I do not really like their music and think they look like Coldplay (which they do), not sound like Coldplay. But what's wring with Coldplay? Not cool enough for Radiohead fans?

I like bands whether popular or not. Someone made the comment that it's a miracle they're popular, like they're some 'out there' band, and I said I see how they're popular as they fit the mainstream mould. That's not my reason for not being fond of them - I just don't dig them - they don't offer me anything.

We can like different bands, pbradley, without you making stupid generalisations.

Way to take the generalization as specifying only to you when it isn't necessarily referring to you. My comment was more pointed to Pookie's "whiny dad rock" which both compared their music and insinuated how uncool or unhardcore they are (see: dad rock). Does it not? And I never said you had to like them. If your reasons for not liking their music because it doesn't do anything for you, that's entirely cool. But throwing them off because they aren't hardcore enough or something is retarded.

And I actually like some of Coldplay's early stuff, but the comparison in sound is just stupid. Pointing out the difference between two unlike things doesn't mean that one has to be the lesser.

sarramkrop 07.26.2007 07:42 AM

For the love of sweet Jesus, I really cannot stand Thom 'Why The letter H In Your Fucking Name' Yorke's voice. Taken separately, they are not bad musicians per se, but because of him they fall victim of being a deeply depressing band that makes you wish the entire wolrd would really collapse on top of him for real. Oh, and they say fuck all about anything too, politically charged or not.

demonrail666 07.26.2007 07:52 AM

Poster boys for the No Logo generation.

farmhouse 07.26.2007 08:12 AM

Thom Yorke is like the personification of a tiny percentage of how i feel all the time. i.e. cynical, bitter, bruised, disillusioned . . .

Washing Machine 07.26.2007 08:49 AM

I LOVE Radiohead. One of the worlds truely genius rock bands. When the musical history books are written about the 90's, two bands will stand out as the most influencial, important and decade defining: Nirvana and Radiohead. Not saying they were the best, but the most important to that decade. This is why the Coldplay comparison is so unfair. Radiohead invented everything that Coldplay do. The difference is Coldplay is the superficial imitation. Radiohead with all the originality, imagination and emotion sucked out of it. Its Radiohead for people who want the easier version. Same goes for so many British bands at the moment.

the ikara cult 07.26.2007 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
For the love of sweet Jesus, I really cannot stand Thom 'Why The letter H In Your Fucking Name' Yorke's voice. Taken separately, they are not bad musicians per se, but because of him they fall victim of being a deeply depressing band that makes you wish the entire wolrd would really collapse on top of him for real. Oh, and they say fuck all about anything too, politically charged or not.

now THATS the kind of response i was expecting!

atsonicpark 07.26.2007 12:21 PM

Radiohead and Coldplay don't look alike or sound alike. And Coldplay are boring-as-fuck adult contemporary 30-year-old-man-trying-to-be-hip pop, that's why I dont' like them. We might as well start discussing fucking Travis on this board or something.

Style 07.26.2007 03:45 PM

I like some of their music. I would agree that it's a bit overrated. I'd rather listen to them than coldplay. coldplay sounds the same to me on every album.

my favorite part about radiohead is the way johnny greenwood combines guitar and digital signal processing.

Torn Curtain 07.26.2007 04:05 PM

In my opinion comparing Radiohead to Coldplay is similar to comparing Sonic Youth to Placebo.