Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic 2014 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=104259)

The Soup Nazi 01.16.2014 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Finally out! Ordered my copy from Boomkat today (no U.S. stores nor U.S. third-party sellers seemed to have it). I hope it shows up soon!

Hmmm, now it's "out of stock". Did it really fly off the shelves that quickly? I'm gonna have to e-mail those cats...
:confused:

Sonic Al 01.17.2014 02:26 PM

Here IT IS ON AMAZON uk site...........http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revolution-B...ldo+revolution

EVOLghost 01.17.2014 02:58 PM

Why not reisse something like washing machine.

halgreen 01.17.2014 05:25 PM

Maybe they will!

hipster_bebop_junkie 01.17.2014 08:35 PM

There's also the Twilight record coming up at some point...

Blue Human 01.22.2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
Kim Gordon. "Is Is My Body? Selected Texts" book. Available now to order from Steinberg Press.

http://www.sternberg-press.com/index...ookId=372&l=en

Now shipping.

noisereductions 01.22.2014 06:07 PM

OMG what a great picture!

tesla69 01.24.2014 01:37 PM

on today's Downtown Music Gallery update

Wit Sonic Youth currently in limbo, each member has been working on a variety of solo projects. Thurston Moore recently did a week-long residency (12/31/13 - 1/5/14) at The Stone, I attended a few different sets. Thanks to John Moloney, drummer of Sunburned Hand of Man and Chelsea Light Moving (Thurston's current band), we were able to get copies of these two duo CDs. They are not CD-Rs.

THURSTON MOORE & JOHN MOLONEY - Banjaxed Blues: Caught On Tape (Manhand 140/141; USA) Featuring Thurston Moore on guitar & John Moloney on drums. This disc features two intense thirty minute improv workouts, one in Baltimore in 2012 and the other from Belfast in 2013. Right from the gitgo, the duo are wailing, heavy noise guitar and hard rocking drums whipping up a storm. Thurston Moore is a master of that howling, feedback-drenched, bent note abandon. When the duo quiets down, Moore still creates fascinating scraped strings, drones and other suspense-filled environments. Both Moore and Moloney are members of Thurston's current band, Chelsea Light Moving, hence the duo also insert a couple of CLM (like?) songs. When dealing with different devices for the electric guitar, there are sounds that alter the guitar into an area where it is difficult to tell how certain sounds are being made. No matter what, both Mr. Moore and Mr. Moloney are strong improvisers and create strong layers of sonic storms. Two special spirited dates, both worth exploring. - Bruce Lee Gallanter, DMG CD $10

THURSTON MOORE & JOHN MOLONEY - An American Prayer: Caught On Tape (Manhand 131; USA) Featuring Thurston Moore on guitar & voice and John Moloney on drums & voice with poems by Dennis O'Driscoll. This discs was recorded live in Brooklyn in December of 2012. This is a 29-minute 1 track piece. This disc starts with a short poem read by Mr. Moloney before the improv kicks in. This set moves from quieter moments to some intense, free and noisy duo eruptions. Mr. Moloney who used to drum for Sun Burned Hand of Man is a fine drummer who works well with Thurston. In the more than three decades since Sonic Youth entered the Downtown noise/punk/rock scene, both guitarists Mr. Moore and Lee Ranaldo, have become strong, inventive improvisers, often playing in a variety of live situations with like-minded players like William Hooker and Tom Surgal, both great drummers and inspired sparring partners. This is a fine, well-recorded set and at just under a half hour, just the right length to not overstay its welcome. - Bruce Lee Gallanter, DMG CD $10

hipster_bebop_junkie 01.26.2014 01:44 PM

Hoping for a "Hurricane Sandy Transcriptions" record.

Moshe 01.28.2014 01:31 AM

http://www.amazon.com/We-Owe-You-Not.../dp/1933354321

blunderbuss 01.28.2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe

Excellent book.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.28.2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunderbuss
Excellent book.

I'm interested, but honestly, I don't know if I'm $14 plus shipping interested, because I've read most of these interviews before.

jetengine 01.31.2014 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
on today's Downtown Music Gallery update

Wit Sonic Youth currently in limbo, each member has been working on a variety of solo projects. Thurston Moore recently did a week-long residency (12/31/13 - 1/5/14) at The Stone, I attended a few different sets. Thanks to John Moloney, drummer of Sunburned Hand of Man and Chelsea Light Moving (Thurston's current band), we were able to get copies of these two duo CDs. They are not CD-Rs.

THURSTON MOORE & JOHN MOLONEY - Banjaxed Blues: Caught On Tape (Manhand 140/141; USA) Featuring Thurston Moore on guitar & John Moloney on drums. This disc features two intense thirty minute improv workouts, one in Baltimore in 2012 and the other from Belfast in 2013. Right from the gitgo, the duo are wailing, heavy noise guitar and hard rocking drums whipping up a storm. Thurston Moore is a master of that howling, feedback-drenched, bent note abandon. When the duo quiets down, Moore still creates fascinating scraped strings, drones and other suspense-filled environments. Both Moore and Moloney are members of Thurston's current band, Chelsea Light Moving, hence the duo also insert a couple of CLM (like?) songs. When dealing with different devices for the electric guitar, there are sounds that alter the guitar into an area where it is difficult to tell how certain sounds are being made. No matter what, both Mr. Moore and Mr. Moloney are strong improvisers and create strong layers of sonic storms. Two special spirited dates, both worth exploring. - Bruce Lee Gallanter, DMG CD $10

THURSTON MOORE & JOHN MOLONEY - An American Prayer: Caught On Tape (Manhand 131; USA) Featuring Thurston Moore on guitar & voice and John Moloney on drums & voice with poems by Dennis O'Driscoll. This discs was recorded live in Brooklyn in December of 2012. This is a 29-minute 1 track piece. This disc starts with a short poem read by Mr. Moloney before the improv kicks in. This set moves from quieter moments to some intense, free and noisy duo eruptions. Mr. Moloney who used to drum for Sun Burned Hand of Man is a fine drummer who works well with Thurston. In the more than three decades since Sonic Youth entered the Downtown noise/punk/rock scene, both guitarists Mr. Moore and Lee Ranaldo, have become strong, inventive improvisers, often playing in a variety of live situations with like-minded players like William Hooker and Tom Surgal, both great drummers and inspired sparring partners. This is a fine, well-recorded set and at just under a half hour, just the right length to not overstay its welcome. - Bruce Lee Gallanter, DMG CD $10

Uh... since when is Banjaxed Blues available on CD? Is DMG ahead of even John Moloney himself? And it's An Irish-American Prayer....

tesla69 01.31.2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetengine
Uh... since when is Banjaxed Blues available on CD?

I think mine was dated Jan 1 or Dec 31...

halgreen 01.31.2014 11:05 AM

I got it when i saw Chelsea Light Moving in November

jetengine 01.31.2014 11:31 AM

Hmm... Strange how John hasn't listed it and made copies available through Discogs....

hirsute_biped 01.31.2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
Hoping for a "Hurricane Sandy Transcriptions" record.

Yes! Preferably as a picture disc depicting the hurricane.

Thurston already has a hurricane album, so it would be pretty appropriate. On this record the hurricane is credited with wind sounds.

hipster_bebop_junkie 02.02.2014 01:51 AM

Steve Gullick's "Nirvana Diary", a photographic journal on the rise and decline of Nirvana, with pictures, words, and the presence throughout (apparently) of other essential figures (The Jesus Lizard, Melvins, Screaming Trees, Hole, Mudhoney, and Soundgarden) to provide a wider context to the story:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/nirvanadiary

The sneak peek to the Nirvana Contemporaries postcards bundle reveals a picture of Thurston Moore. Do you think there might be more Sonic Youth there, too (they were a huge part of that after all)?

http://assets.pledgemusic.com/assets...jpg?1391171427

_tunic_ 02.02.2014 04:51 AM

Something else with Lee that will hopefully see a release is the How Deep are Rivers composition he did with the Bang On A Can Allstars in November last year in a couple of Dutch/Belgian cities. I asked the merch guy after the show, he said that they had recorded all nights and that they may release it, either officially or as a gift to their newsletter subscribers.

ONE TWO THREE FOUR!

The Soup Nazi 02.02.2014 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
Something else with Lee that will hopefully see a release is the How Deep are Rivers composition he did with the Bang On A Can Allstars in November last year in a couple of Dutch/Belgian cities. I asked the merch guy after the show, he said that they had recorded all nights and that they may release it, either officially or as a gift to their newsletter subscribers.

ONE TWO THREE FOUR!

NICE - I just subscribed. Many thanks.