Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chris Cornell Joins SY? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30522)

greedrex 04.23.2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe

Sonic Youth could use an actual singer ...

huh, excuse me???:confused:

The Lung 04.23.2009 03:37 PM

Imagine chris cornell singing Kissability...

I heard soundgarden cover hendrix's hey baby and chris' vocals are priceless.

atsonicpark 04.23.2009 03:44 PM

Rob Instigator 04.23.2009 03:48 PM

this is my favorite thread of 2009

summer 04.23.2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
it does NOT take balls to do commercial pap with played-out Timbaland.
all it takes is the desire to remain seemingly relevant and make money off of idiots.

See I don't get that, so pop sounding music can never be good? All music played on the radio is bad by default? Just, like, I don't understand that point of view at all

Rob Instigator 04.23.2009 04:18 PM

it can be good, and fun, and enjoyable, but it does not take BALLS to make a pop album.

tesla69 04.23.2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
it can be good, and fun, and enjoyable, but it does not take BALLS to make a pop album.

Hendrix was pop. The Stooges were a pop band. The Beatles were pop. The Stones were pop. Roxy Music was pop. Jefferson Airplane was the biggest pop band in the US in the 60's. The Who were a pop band. I think of the Fall as a pop band.

Rob Instigator 04.23.2009 04:38 PM

celine dion is POP

beyonce is POP

your definition of "pop" is too vague and all-encmpassing

we are talking genre of music here, not the catch-all term for any popular music. by your definition swing was pop, bebop was pop, country blues in the 20's were pop.

come on.

sarramkrop 04.23.2009 04:40 PM

In 2050 we will agree that it's all bit shite to be like this. Unless hatred sinks in and we all have to communicate through messages written with our own turds.

Rob Instigator 04.23.2009 04:50 PM

we will all speak in images. no words, no linguistic cohesion.

Rob Instigator 04.23.2009 04:52 PM

tesla, genre-wise, every band you mentioned is a ROCK band.
there is a difference, ask Kim Gordon.

pbradley 04.23.2009 04:53 PM

Sounds like a politician's answer. Cornell must really dislike Sonic Youth's music. Fine by me, I've never liked his singing.

sarramkrop 04.23.2009 04:55 PM

My main sonic youth problem these days is the fact they are shit singers and average songwriters, nevermind the skronk thing.

summer 04.23.2009 04:57 PM

I really do just consider pop anything that has nice tight songwriting though. Nirvana was a pop band. Sonic Youth used to be with Dirty. Just anything that's well-written. Sure it's maybe too all-encompassing but I like the philosophy behind it

pbradley 04.23.2009 05:02 PM

"Pop" can't tell you much of anything just as any other so-called genre label.

sarramkrop 04.23.2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
My main sonic youth problem these days is the fact they are shit singers and average songwriters, nevermind the skronk thing.

What i mean is that they have become shit songwriters. They used to be the best.

bloodcrystallisetosand 04.23.2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

What i mean is that they have become shit songwriters. They used to be the best.

yeah but to be fair there is only a limited amount of good songwriting your average mortal can manage in a lifetime: even the likes of dylan were diabolical for massive periods (like the 80s and first half of the 90s). and besides, i've always seen sy lyrics as just a section in the songs, and usually the least significant part: all that hylozic directions and suspect faux-beat stuff rarely hit the target, though the odd song like kissability had a point. i think that lee is the only one with proper 'songwriting' ability: the lee song is always the song i most look forward to on an album, right through to rats on RR.

Toilet & Bowels 04.23.2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

What i mean is that they have become shit songwriters.

yeah, since thurston moore has come to dominate the band. their career is secured though, i guess the others feel like they can cruise on autopilot until they retire.

Toilet & Bowels 04.23.2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
Hendrix was pop. The Stooges were a pop band. The Beatles were pop. The Stones were pop. Roxy Music was pop. Jefferson Airplane was the biggest pop band in the US in the 60's. The Who were a pop band. I think of the Fall as a pop band.

some of those mention were pop in that they were popular, but stylisticly none of them are pop, and you know it.

summer 04.23.2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
some of those mention were pop in that they were popular, but stylisticly none of them are pop, and you know it.

All of the bands he listed are stylistically "pop"