Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

jheii 08.16.2006 01:58 AM

The Body Artist by Don Delillo and Small is Beautiful by E.F. Schumacher, and miscellaneous buddhist teachings.

thindarkduke13 08.17.2006 07:14 PM

I'm rereading Lolita. It's dirty and beautiful at the same time. I should be reading The Great Gatsby for my summer homework but, oh well.

HaydenAsche 08.17.2006 07:39 PM

C++ Programming by Malik
Invitation to Computer Science by Schneider/Gersting
Exploring Psychology by David G. Meyers

School is upon us all.

samuel 08.17.2006 08:31 PM

The Catcher in the Rye, again.

Woo.

RdTv 08.18.2006 06:47 AM

Believe it or not, I'm reading Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol

Pookie 08.18.2006 06:58 AM

Nightly at the moment:

sonicl 08.22.2006 08:56 AM

Twenty Missed Beats - The Portsmouth Music Scene 1977-1996, by Tony Rollinson.
A total nostalgia trip for me, as I lived just outside Portsmouth throughout the period the book covers and saw loads of the bands that are covered.

Hip Priest 08.22.2006 09:02 AM

I'm kind of in between books at the moment, so I'm reading the latest Private Eye and Fortean Times, plus I'm flipping through my book of Fry and Laurie scripts.

DemonBox 08.22.2006 09:05 AM

A book with a collections of interwievs with Jens Bjørneboe. It's called "conversations with Jens Bjørneboe". He was a great man.

Pookie 08.22.2006 09:10 AM

I'm reading a proof copy of this:

It's terrible, but I have to read some terrible books for work just to keep up with what's happening in the book world.

That should say The Keeper by Sarah Langan if you can't see it.

nomadicfollower 08.22.2006 03:39 PM

Glad this was bumped.
I've been looking for a pretty comprehensive book on Greek philosophy, but there are many to choose from. I want one that touchs upon the main philosophers and that maybe even gives a little history. Suggestions?

Currently I'm reading The Rebel by Albert Camus. It's an interesting read, even if I am lost on most of the historical references.

k-krack 08.22.2006 04:00 PM

i just bought Slaughterhouse-Five today.

nomadicfollower 08.22.2006 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
i just bought Slaughterhouse-Five today.

Very good book. I don't believe you'll be dissapointed.

Glice 08.22.2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
Glad this was bumped.
I've been looking for a pretty comprehensive book on Greek philosophy, but there are many to choose from. I want one that touchs upon the main philosophers and that maybe even gives a little history. Suggestions?

Currently I'm reading The Rebel by Albert Camus. It's an interesting read, even if I am lost on most of the historical references.

It's frowned upon, but I would've thought you couldn't go wrong with the 'Introducing: Greek Philosophy' books.

I would reccommend any of Robert Grave's books on Greek Mythology (which isn't really what you're looking for).

I would also reccommend Plato's Last days of Socrates & the Republic as well as Aristotle's The Nichomachaen Ethics. Again, that's probably not what you're looking for, but I haven't ever read a secondary text which is as good an introduction as the primary ones.

nomadicfollower 08.22.2006 04:26 PM

I was thinking about this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/002...706263?ie=UTF8

I really just wanted to be introduced to various Greek philosophers, and then, upon choosing the ones I enjoyed most, I could explore further into their works.
I have The Portable Plato which has The Republic in its enterity, as well as, others (I can't name any specific without going back to look).

I did plan on getting an Introduction to Greek Philosophy book, but when searching on Amazon numerous results came up and most of the reviews seemed to be very positive, making my choice hard.

Glice 08.23.2006 12:11 PM

That looks pretty good. I would say that, for an overview, you probably only need to dip into Plato's last days of Socrates (which you'll read in an afternoon), Plato's Republic/ a compilation and something by Aristotle. I found it a lot easier to distinguish between the various schools after I had an overview of Plato > contemporary stuff. I expect you've probably read everything and this statement is entirely defunct, but hey, it's here now.

gmku 08.23.2006 12:28 PM

I'm reading stuff for work. Tell me if you think my lead is okay (story is about a new building).

Seeing the new Art Building West go up, people have said, has been like watching a piece of art take shape. The rusty steel plates slotted together for the exterior walls reminded them of an outdoor sculpture—and many know that the building was inspired by Pablo Picasso’s Guitar.
In fact, since ground was broken in 2002, the building has sparked considerable speculation. No, there were no abandoned Buicks or dumped bodies at the bottom of the Hutchinson Quarry Pond when workers drained it (the pond since has been refilled). Yes, the outside is supposed to look... et cetera

Prisstina 08.23.2006 06:35 PM

The second installment of "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants". No lie.

finding nobody 08.23.2006 07:35 PM

Almost finished with it

Danny Himself 08.23.2006 08:57 PM

"Drugs are nice" by Lisa Crystal Carver. It's good.