Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

TheDom 05.13.2007 08:23 PM

I just watchedThe Godfather & half of part 2 with my family.

Great way to spend Mother's Day.

silverfreepress (sdasher) 05.13.2007 08:40 PM

Waitress
(2007)

LifeDistortion 05.13.2007 09:39 PM

The Squid and the Whale

Odd, intresting film.

!@#$%! 05.13.2007 10:57 PM

the life & death of peter sellers. it was so-so (an hbo movie). had its strong points but they fucking "symbolism" truly broke my nuts. what do i mean by this... hm... geoffrey rush playing peter sellers playing other characters in seller's life and "amending" history. very trite. also some dream sequences or whatever. fuck dream sequences. they are ok used sparingly and only when necessary but when used ham-handedly they are poor substitutes for a well-told story. like "this fantastic scene represents peter sellers dabbling with drugs". well fuck that shit. make the motherfucker get high, dont show him in sgt pepper costume with an animated background. fucks sakes...

Everyneurotic 05.13.2007 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the life & death of peter sellers. it was so-so (an hbo movie). had its strong points but they fucking "symbolism" truly broke my nuts. what do i mean by this... hm... geoffrey rush playing peter sellers playing other characters in seller's life and "amending" history. very trite. also some dream sequences or whatever. fuck dream sequences. they are ok used sparingly and only when necessary but when used ham-handedly they are poor substitutes for a well-told story. like "this fantastic scene represents peter sellers dabbling with drugs". well fuck that shit. make the motherfucker get high, dont show him in sgt pepper costume with an animated background. fucks sakes...

bio movies usually look very cheap, watered down and suck.

kill bill vol 1 is on tv so that's what i'm watching.

!@#$%! 05.13.2007 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
bio movies usually look very cheap, watered down and suck.

kill bill vol 1 is on tv so that's what i'm watching.

this one looked slick and had a decent cast-- geoffrey rush is no shit-actor, and charlize theron was hot, emily watson was wonderful, there were other nice parts.

it was the screenplay that broke my balls. bad screenplay = bad movie no matter how well done. that, or maybe the director took some fucking shortcuts. fuck him.

--
ps i just looked him up. he's the fuck who did "the reaping". well. no fucking wonder...

Everyneurotic 05.13.2007 11:14 PM

i don't know, for starters, can you make a person like peter sellers into a character? that's really tough.

!@#$%! 05.13.2007 11:17 PM

Quote:

i don't know, for starters, can you make a person like peter sellers into a character? that's really tough.

well the man was nuts and lived through his characters (i've read that before), he was highly immature adn had a sick relationship with his mother, plus he went from star actor to make a bunch of stupid movies in the 70's, and he was certainly an interesting study in character disorders, the problem was cramming too much disjointed story with the fucking little "symbolic scenes" and trite narrative devices that killed it.

he was a sort of willy lohman is how i can best approximate it, though he was a lot more insane.

Everyneurotic 05.13.2007 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
well the man was nuts and lived through his characters (i've read that before), he was highly immature adn had a sick relationship with his mother, plus he went from star actor to make a bunch of stupid movies in the 70's, and he was certainly an interesting study in character disorders, the problem was cramming too much disjointed story with the fucking little "symbolic scenes" and trite narrative devices that killed it.

he was a sort of willy lohman is how i can best approximate it, though he was a lot more insane.

that's what i was talking about, getting that person and dumbing him down into a two dimension character, that sucks.

plus, add that he was an intensely charismatic fellow, a natural comedian and a hell of an actor and that calls for a fucking generation defining author to script this and an actor that can be intensely serious, unabashedly humorous and bearing a private disturbance just below the surface (to us people).

besides, most bio pics suck because they want to cram in decades of a person's life into a mere couple of hours and really hate how they mostly "fast forward" to "important" moments.

youthoftomorrow 05.14.2007 12:04 AM

Quote:

i just watched orange county, always makes me laugh.

that's one of my favorite movies.

i watched Children of Men earlier. pretty cool.

krastian 05.14.2007 12:38 AM

Boogie Nights

Katy 05.14.2007 02:16 AM

"La Strada".

blastscenealibi 05.14.2007 02:27 AM

Smokin' Aces.

Iain 05.14.2007 05:42 AM

I watched My Architect last night which, for those that don't know, is about a man who is the illegitimate son of Louis Kahn and visits his fathers buildings and talks to people who knew him (he died in 1976 or so) in order to get a picture of what his father was like. It was a really nice film, quite moving and full of interesting characters.

jon boy 05.14.2007 06:15 AM

the very disturbing and compelling audition.

pao-lino 05.14.2007 06:19 AM

4 minutes... very beautiful movie, I suggest you all to watch it.

floatingslowly 05.14.2007 12:27 PM

28 Weeks Later

I loved the first, and although this had it's moments, it felt like the storytelling got lazier as the movie went along.

to top it off, the ending was horrible. it was as if they had a deadline to release the movie (and it was too long), so they chopped out 20 minutes.

it's a bad sign when you can compare ANY movie to Jaws 3.

screamingskull 05.14.2007 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegmama
I know why YOU watched that movie! ;) Did you know that Marky Mark kept a souvenir from the film? The infamous fake penis used in the final shot. It was made from an easily biodegradable rubber and foam combination which, according to Wahlberg, has since already begun to deteriorate.

that was a fake penis, oh i am so disappointed!

Tokolosh 05.15.2007 02:43 AM

Watched this last night. D.A. Pennebaker has an excellent track record.
A must have for all Dylan fans.

Plot summary

Portrait of the artist as a young man. In spring, 1965, Bob Dylan, 23, a pixyish troubador, spends three weeks in England. Pennebaker's camera follows him from airport to hall, from hotel room to public house, from conversation to concert. Joan Baez and Donovan, among others, are on hand. It's the period when Dylan is shifting from acoustic to electric, a transition that not all fans, including Baez, applaud. From the opening sequence of Dylan holding up words to the soundtrack's "Subterranean Homesick Blues," Dylan is playful and enigmatic.

More I N F O

Norma J 05.15.2007 02:47 AM

^^^ Great film. They've also re-released it in deluxe edition too.