Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

demonrail666 01.27.2013 07:40 PM

James Hannon - Lost Boys of the Bronx

I became interested in (more like obsessed with) the Ducky Boys gang through the book/film The Wanderers and couldn't believe someone had actually a written a bio about them. I didn't even realise they were a real gang. I'm only a couple of chapters in and it's already one of my favourite books.

Sonic Youth 37 01.29.2013 01:41 PM

Rob Instigator 01.29.2013 02:25 PM

Talks about all the art that is not covered in the "standard" texts about the Middle Ages. Lots of bawdy stuff!

GravitySlips 01.29.2013 03:34 PM

Foundation - Asimov

just started this, the first few pages are GOOD! ! !

Severian 01.29.2013 07:58 PM

I have been stopping and starting books for months and nothing's grabbed me by the balls yet. The few I have finished had zero impact.

I'd better find some existentially challenging fiction pretty goddamn quick or I think my soul is going to disappear.

I'm almost in "re-read Lord of the Rings" mode. That's how bad it is.

Shit I hate being in between books. I usually read two or three every couple weeks. It's my solace. But I'm coming up with fuckin nothing!

!@#$%! 01.29.2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I'd better find some existentially challenging fiction pretty goddamn quick or I think my soul is going to disappear.

did i recommend a day in the life of ivan denisovich? hot damn, that book rules.

---

me, i'm reading a bunch of business books...

thrilling stuff!

Trama 01.29.2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
me, i'm reading a bunch of business books...

Like what?

!@#$%! 01.29.2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trama
Like what?

it's kind of funny to find someone here interested in this which is why i didn't post anything at first.

currently this:

someone recommended it to me recently. it's hilarious. also very good.

also looking again at this:

it's a bit "old" (2003!) but it was game changer i think. actually i think it informs the one above.

Trama 01.29.2013 09:07 PM

[

WILL ELABORATE ON THIS
(have to take off now)

]

!@#$%! 01.29.2013 09:16 PM

shoot a PM alert if you do cuz i look at this thread rarely

Pookie 02.03.2013 10:28 AM

Reading this again, seeing's it's free on kindle.

Dr Chocolate 02.06.2013 01:16 AM

WATCH YOU BLEED by Stephen Davis (it's the GNR book)
please excuse my bad taste, but it was only $5 for a hardcover
and after reading Stephen Adler's autobiography last fall
i thought that this would be a good one as well
not like i give a fuck about GNR anymore

Severian 02.06.2013 08:21 PM

I too have been looting the free selection on Kindle. I've also been "sampling" books and had myself a nice little surprise when I realized that if you accidentally buy the book when trying to sample it, and then cancel the order, the thing will be in your carousel until you close it out. Yeah, that means reading a book in full in one sitting; of just leaving your kindle on and not doing any of the amazing other things it does (bullshit) but I don't mind for free books.

Anyway, the actually free books have given me A Tale of Two Cities to go over again, which I'm doing in small chunks, and Moby Dick.

I know- not supposed to read it until you're 40. Well, I fuckin feel forty, and I'll be forty sooner than I'd like to believe. So fuck it. Great goddamn book, so far.

Severian 02.06.2013 08:21 PM

What the fuck? That posted five times. Deleting now.

Sorry about that.

Keeping It Simple 02.09.2013 11:18 AM

I've just read Survivors by Terry Nation. It laughably reads like a post-apocalyptic jolly for the middle and upper class nobs and snobs who live in the countryside of the Home Counties of England who were fortunate enough to have survived a plague that wiped out 99% of the worlds population.

I concluded after reading the book that the author has to either be a nob or snob of middle or upper class origin living in the countryside of one of the Home Counties who wishes a plague on everyone else on the planet who isn't like him. In other words, he's a wanker.

!@#$%! 02.09.2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

WILL ELABORATE ON THIS
(have to take off now)

as the internet used to say a few ages ago, "i am disappoint" :(

Trama 02.10.2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
as the internet used to say a few ages ago, "i am disappoint" :(

Ha, sorry. Seth Godin I do follow closely, no clue about the other guy.

Will elaborate on this.

!@#$%! 02.10.2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Will elaborate on this.

lies, sir lies!

but godin is alright.

h8kurdt 02.16.2013 04:44 AM

Is that the first Murakami book you've read?

LifeDistortion 02.16.2013 05:02 AM

So far this year I've read "The Wind Through the Keyhole" by Stephen King, and I'm currently reading "Robopocalypse" by Daniel H. Wilson. I don't read much science fiction even though I like the genre generally. The book's good so far, but nothing mind-blowing, even though some of the quotes in the book have compared him to early Michael Crichton.