Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

Pelle 01.06.2012 09:28 AM

Sensational Fix

:)

E. Noisefield 01.06.2012 01:28 PM

Currently:

and

and

Yeah. I'm pretty much a nerd-ass.

E. Noisefield 01.06.2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99

and Knightfall Part One

Great reading. Have you read Grant Morrison's weird new autobiographical / psychological / philosophical / sociological / drug-addled rant book [i]Supergods[i]? It's supposed to be pretty good.

He really revolutionized things with Arkham, and I've loved his work with Superman. I'm excite to read an honest-to-god BOOK by the guy. It's subtitled something like "What masked vigilantes, mutants, and son gods from other planets say about human beings". Not sure that's right, but it sums it up.

Murmer99 01.06.2012 06:46 PM

no sir, haven't read that. Actually, Batman is the only superhero aside from spiderman that I'm really interested in. I was obsessed as a child and it never went away. The comics are fantastic... long halloween, killing joke, dark victory, gothic etc etc. Alan Moore is probably my favorite though. Even the Watchmen comic he wrote was good.

ilduclo 01.06.2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian

so whatcha think? I read Jesus Son when it came out and recall it was ok....

I'm about 150 ppg into this....

a little dry, but a lot I didn't know and pretty shocking....

E. Noisefield 01.06.2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

no sir, haven't read that. Actually, Batman is the only superhero aside from spiderman that I'm really interested in. I was obsessed as a child and it never went away. The comics are fantastic... long halloween, killing joke, dark victory, gothic etc etc. Alan Moore is probably my favorite though. Even the Watchmen comic he wrote was good.

Absolutely. I personally think Watchmen contained his worst characters, but best story; that is, of all of his own inventions. The stuff he did for Superman, Batman, and Swamp Thing can't be ignored either.

Batman is kind of an obsession of mine. I don't read any other monthly comics anymore. Just Batman. I read other stuff when it comes out in TPB, but Bruce Wayne's the only one who gets my money every wednesday after work.

I never finished the Tony S. Daniel series about what happened after Batman R.I.P. I read the first two TPB's about Dick putting on the cowl and then lost track.

LifeDistortion 01.07.2012 03:53 AM

Reading this. I've already read "Rage" and currently on "The Long Walk".

Keeping It Simple 01.07.2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Currently:

and

and

Yeah. I'm pretty much a nerd-ass.

Lovecraft was a genius. I own the three book omnibus series of his entire output that was published by Granada UK. All three books have cover art by the acclaimed British artist, Tim White.

littlepriest 01.07.2012 09:46 PM

Just finished

Now it's

and

LifeDistortion 02.05.2012 02:30 PM

the ikara cult 02.05.2012 02:58 PM

krischanski 02.06.2012 02:23 AM

just finished this brick. and really enjoyed it.

!@#$%! 02.06.2012 12:51 PM

nice intro to neoliberal economics--like ron paul minus the white supremacists entourage mhuahaha

demonrail666 02.06.2012 01:08 PM

Rereading this, probably my favourite book about film.

Murmer99 02.11.2012 05:00 PM

so far, this is turning out to be the best dick I've read (!)

it's also interesting to point out that Cronenberg made a reference to this novel in "eXistenZ"... the Perky Pat's fast food bag! I know that he was highly influenced by his work. I feel like a few of his films are almost adaptations of some of his novels. Or rather, concepts you would've expected to see philip k dick write about. Scanners... Existenz

both films are pretty average though.

Anyways, the novel (while fairly easy to grasp what's happening) is the most complex when it comes to its "plot". You never really know what the hell is happening and some of the conversations between the characters (along with the vivid descriptions of where they are) creates a picture in my mind. I guess it's kind of cliche to go on about philip k... but he truly is one of my favorites of all time. I'm really looking forward to reading his Exegesis. I've heard it's nearly unreadable. Just perplexing that this guy kept all these notes for so long... and essentially just for "fun". He was an eccentric as most already know. He also mentioned various times in interviews that the three stigmata is the most vital of his works. I have yet to go through most of them, but this tops androids, flow my tears, even ubik in my opinion.

gmku 02.11.2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Yes. I grew up on Detective Comics and the Batman comic book. The only superhero who has mystery. The only double identity hero (Wayne/Batman) that makes sense and still remains fascinating.

gmku 02.11.2012 06:47 PM

Read an interesting review in the New Yorker about this. Sounds like it's a bit different from the usual Denis Johnson fare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian

fugazifan 02.14.2012 11:24 PM

i was reading this but stopped so that i could read the angela davis book

and i just started this as well

and am occasionaly reading a few fragments from here:

gmku 02.26.2012 04:00 PM

Geronimo Rex by Barry Hannah

a re-read

What a great book.

I have more re-reads awaiting: Lolita, The Centaur, and 92 in the Shade.

I love Hannah, Nabokov, Updike, and McGuane. Not necessarily in that order.

evollove 02.26.2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Geronimo Rex by Barry Hannah

a re-read

What a great book.

I have more re-reads awaiting: Lolita, The Centaur, and 92 in the Shade.

I love Hannah, Nabokov, Updike, and McGuane. Not necessarily in that order.

--I've always had a "problem" with Centaur. Not sure why. Kinda boring, I guess. That one and Poorhouse Fair are my least favorites. Of course, they kick the shit out of 95% of anything anyone else could write. Plus, I'm sure I'll re-read them myself and probably change my mind.

--If you haven't been through all of Nabokov before, including his autobio Speak, Memory, may I recommend getting cracking on the unreads instead of Lolita again? None of my business; just a suggestion.

What's the one Hannah I should read first?