Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

Severian 08.26.2016 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Some sites said it's some shit that was never heard before in music, and that the engineers in the studio were losing their minds after hearing it. One listen was enough to tell that was nonsense. Of course it's not a bad EP though because Vince is a good enough rapper to carry it.

By the way, Vince said Yeezus is one of his most listened to albums nowadays and based on this EP I can actually tell, which is also interesting because he said he didn't like it in another interview back in 2013.

Yes, I can hear Yeezus all over this new EP. It's nowhere near as good, but it's a sweet road for Vince to follow while he's in between albums.

Severian 08.26.2016 11:45 AM

Quote:

I'm surprised about how much I enjoy the new Thugger mixtape..

My favorite project from him since "Tha Tour Pt. 1".

Again, what is it with you these days???

I've gotta say, Tha Tour Pt.1 was a nice thing to jam once or twice at the time, but looking back on it, that thing is NOT good, and neither is anything else Thug digs his mitts into. Best Thug related song ever? "Highlights." No question. Maybe I'll change my mind at some point, but meh.

This year has been like one long Invasion of the Louder Snatchers, dude.
New Kanye gonna be the best!
Hate it.
New Frank gonna be the best!
Meh.
New Vince gonna be sweet!
New Vince is disappointing.
New Kendrick is great!
New Kendrcik isn't that great.
But you know what I'm digging is that new Thugger

Lol. Weirdo.

louder 08.26.2016 12:39 PM

You were right that I'm full of surprises this year. I even surprise myself at this point.

Rob Instigator 08.26.2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

I'm surprised about how much I enjoy the new Thugger mixtape..

My favorite project from him since "Tha Tour Pt. 1".

yes, but there is only one thugga and it is SLIM THUG from Da Htown

noisereductions 08.26.2016 01:50 PM

hahahaha I came to see what Louder thought of Vince. And I predicted it. There's two ways that new releases come these days: Louder hates it 3 hours after it is released, then a few weeks later he thinks it's really good; or he loves it a few hours after release (usually says it's the best album of the year) but is sick of it in a few weeks. :)

Severian 08.26.2016 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
hahahaha I came to see what Louder thought of Vince. And I predicted it. There's two ways that new releases come these days: Louder hates it 3 hours after it is released, then a few weeks later he thinks it's really good; or he loves it a few hours after release (usually says it's the best album of the year) but is sick of it in a few weeks. :)

Bingo!
Never seemed to come around to Pablo though, which continues to astonish me to this day. I just took a pretty big break from the album so as not to risk killing the wow factor before the concert in September. Listened to it yesterday from start to finish, and was perhaps even more impressed than ever.

Nothing but love for louder though, to be clear. Nothing but absolute love. No disrespect intended whatsoever. But I do think he should maybe try not saying anything about any album until about 3 weeks after release. ;)

I'm racking my brain for examples of 2016 albums that louder has liked enough to mention more than once, and all I can think of are that King album and Malibu. It's a bit of a shame.

Severian 08.26.2016 08:41 PM

By the by, did anyone else remember that the new De La Soul album, and the ANONYMOUS NOBODY, dropped today?

I hope so, because it's fun. It's surprisingly fun. I can't wait to listen to the whole thing, because what I've heard so far has been pure ear candy.

(Cool album cover too.)

noisereductions 08.26.2016 10:23 PM

Straight up, love louder. Nothing but love. Thats my dood.

Im on the de la mailing list so i did remember but didnt listen yet.

Ps i do like the new vince. Not as good as the last 2 but solid.

Severian 08.26.2016 11:00 PM

My favorite albums of the year are going to be pretty light on hip hop. I'm still really loving Kaytranada's 99.9%, so that'll be up there, as will Coloring Book, and, of course, Pablo, but that's it at this point. Maybe Blonde too. I like the shit out of Blonde.

Really digging the O'Rourke/Fennesz album. That one's proving to have a fair amount of staying power.

Oh, did y'all see that Pitchfork finally got around to reviewing Spinhead Sessions? I think they must have just forgotten about it, the stupid fucks. Then they gave it a pretty meh review. Twats.

noisereductions 08.26.2016 11:27 PM

Yeah the review was weak. Whatever.

louder 08.27.2016 08:14 AM

Hahahaha. Love y'all too. :)

Severian 08.27.2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Hahahaha. Love y'all too. :)

Yeah dude, you helped turn me on to Kanye. I'm pretty sure I'd follow you into the mouth of an active volcano.

louder 08.29.2016 03:33 AM

You've told me this a few times before and I know how thankful you are. I'm so glad I helped you open up to his world and you liked him this much too.

louder 08.29.2016 06:38 AM

Severian 08.29.2016 07:03 AM

Quote:

You've told me this a few times before and I know how thankful you are. I'm so glad I helped you open up to his world and you liked him this much too.

... :)

Severian 08.29.2016 07:05 AM

Quote:

Man I want an André record so bad right now.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone look so good in a Nirvana shirt.

louder 08.29.2016 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Man I want an André record so bad right now.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone look so good in a Nirvana shirt.

Me too. He said he dug Cudi's poor attempt at a "grunge" album but I suppose Andre could pull it off much better. He already gave us a Prince/Stevie/Funkadelic inspired album with The Love Below and a bunch of straight rap albums with OutKast so I wouldn't be mad if he tried to go for a rock album.

Haha true.

Severian 08.30.2016 06:01 PM

Reflecting more on Prima Donna, I still like it, and I'm always happy to hear André, but frankly I'm sick of artists using old verses in their songs. Like, why the hell does an André verse from the '90s need to be on the new Vince Staples album? Why does Drake need to use old rehashed Pimp C verses? On studio albums, no less! On a mixtape, I guess I get it. But if you want someone on your album, ask that person to do a verse with you. If that person's dead, don't fuck around by saying the track "features" him/her, when you're just mining people's sense of loss. At the very least you could find something that hasn't been on an LP before

pretty much my only real complaint about Prima Donna though. It's not a great album, but it's good. I just don't get the rationale behind using a decades old verse from someone who's just starting to appear on albums again. I'll be André would have laid down a few bars of new material for Vinnie.

Severian 08.30.2016 06:08 PM

Liking Blonde more and more. Boy that shit goes down smooth!

guest 08.30.2016 08:27 PM

done the flip on the frank ocean record...immaculately produced and he has a beautiful voice but the songwriting is so, so weak, the whole thing is massively undercooked. the vocal melodies just follow the chord progressions which hardly differentiate themselves among the songs which all drag along at the same tempo. still exponentially more interesting than his last record (the adoration of which made no sense to me at all). it's very nice to try to make an ambitious, personal record, but if it's so abstruse as to be completely impersonal and frankly not nearly as interesting as so many other artists operating in the same sphere without the baggage of a self-constructed myth then it's sort of obsolete...