Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

Severian 08.23.2016 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Endless was cool for what it was, but yeah. Blond is indeed a good album (I do appreciate it more now after a few listens), but my expectations were WAY too high after cO, I guess. I should've known better. He did surpass it in some ways, but overall, I think cO is far better and it's not even close.

..I'm also sad because Frank is one of my favorite artists and I had waited forever to get this album. :(

I'm just taking it for what it is man. Ain't looking for something better than cO, just happy to have something other than cO.

louder 08.23.2016 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I'm just taking it for what it is man. Ain't looking for something better than cO, just happy to have something other than cO.

You're right. After a few listens I can say that I really like every track up to and including Solo (Reprise), after that everything just gives me a headache but maybe, hopefully.. I'll get used to it sooner or later.

louder 08.23.2016 09:32 AM

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/peter-ro...ews.23625.html

"disappointed in @Drake ...someone has you really gassed bro ... dissing hot in NYC, Meek in Philly...youre an actor bro..youre as soft as me"

"there was NO need for @Drake to reignite things with Meek .. he's always been realer than you..your content is MEANINGLESS"

"... @Drake wouldn't have been the toughest kid in my hebrew school ... stop ... make hits for the club...dont try to be hard please...EVER"

Oh wow. LOL. Rosenberg couldn't be more correct.

Severian 08.23.2016 10:32 AM

Drake = worst.

louder 08.24.2016 02:42 PM

RZA is about to put out an album with the dude from Interpol.. weird: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anything_But_Words

Severian 08.24.2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

RZA is about to put out an album with the dude from Interpol.. weird: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anything_But_Words

Paul Banks. I know. I have zero interest. I'm so uninterested in hearing an Interpol adjacent project that even my curiosity about what RZA will bring to the table can't move me to feel the least bit excited.

Last thing RZA produced was A Better Tomorrow... Last time Interpol was any good was 14 years ago. I think this is pretty much the least interesting team up I've ever fucking heard of. Makes Big Grams sound as appealing as a new OutLast joint.

Speaking of which...

DAMN that Andre verse on Blonde is tight. It's fucking insane. I almost forgot how peerless Andre is when he's operating on all cylinders. Fucking insanity. And folks are picking up on that Drake subliminal. Noice...

Severian 08.24.2016 05:39 PM

It's funny... New Frank Ocean album comes out (finally...) and a minute and a half of Andre 3K on that thing and all I can think about is that OTHER long awaited, possibly mythical solo release... Like, can't I ever just feel satisfaction and contentment? Guess not. Give me what I want and I'll immediately want more.

But DAMN would an Andre solo album be a fucking blessing.

noisereductions 08.24.2016 10:29 PM

Wait I liked Big Grams haha

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.24.2016 11:49 PM

this is all i got
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G6LVIi7pzZI

Severian 08.25.2016 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Wait I liked Big Grams haha

I'm not necessarily saying I didn't, but I definitely wasn't excited about it. My reaction when I first heard about it was something like, "Uhhhm .... Okay??"

I definitely didn't LOVE the album, but I didn't listen to it much. Didn't loathe it either. Point is, my ambivalence about that project, was like pre-TLOP mouth-foaming compared to the way I feel about this RZA/Banks nonsense.

louder 08.25.2016 07:16 AM

I heard the singles and well, they reminded me of that LASERS album Lupe Fiasco put out a few years back. Meh.

louder 08.25.2016 07:17 AM

Vince's EP isn't out yet (will drop @ midnight) and it's already getting rave reviews. Can't wait to peep..

Severian 08.25.2016 09:00 AM

Quote:

Vince's EP isn't out yet (will drop midnight) and it's already getting rave reviews. Can't wait to peep..

Yeah, I'd forgotten about this one. New Vince! Yay!

Wait, isn't Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight supposed to drop at midnight too?

I don't actually think it will. From what I'm gathering, there still isn't a finalized or confirmed tracklist or cover. Searches show me several different song lists, some containing 2 year-old songs (probably bogus, fakes) others containing like 10 "untitled" tracks. I'm seeing several different apparent covers, including the following:

(Which is awesome)

And variations of...

(Which is ugly as hell and terrible)

Also it seems as though the original plan to release a mixtape (in, like, April), titled Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight, followed by a proper LP titled Birds in the Trap — in a Days Before Rodeo/Rodeo move — has gone to hell. I'm only hearing about one release now, and as I said, actual facts are scarce.

Severian 08.25.2016 09:07 AM

Quote:

I heard the singles and well, they reminded me of that LASERS album Lupe Fiasco put out a few years back. Meh.

Speaking of Lupe... What the hell happened to the THREE albums he was going to release this year? Year's beginning to come to a close, and I haven't read so much as a single story about ANY of them in like 7 months.

Probably all for the best. I think it was dumb luck that Tetsuo & Youth was pretty good (ok, it had some moments of greatness, but it also had a lot of really forgettable songs that haven't held up). I think Lupe's pretty much toast. The Cool was probably his last great album. Food & Liquor and the Cool. The rest is meh/bleh.

louder 08.25.2016 05:55 PM

Prima Donna EP is out on Apple Music and unfortunately.. it's pretty disappointing. The media was hyping it up to be some revolutionary shit, but I'm not really feeling the production at all so far.

louder 08.25.2016 06:00 PM

Ok so I really love a bunch of songs on Blonde now. "Self Control" outro is genuinely on par with the one on New Slaves. "Solo" reminds me of Stevie Wonder, beautiful. Pharrell killed it with the piano on "Pink + White".. Frank's vocals on "Ivy" are so great ("I ain't a kid no more"), Andre of course blew me away from the beginning..

But I really can't stand "Pretty Sweet", sounds like some Cherry Bomb shit.
Actually, the whole album kinda falls off for me after Andre's thing.

Severian 08.25.2016 10:10 PM

Quote:

Prima Donna EP is out on Apple Music and unfortunately.. it's pretty disappointing. The media was hyping it up to be some revolutionary shit, but I'm not really feeling the production at all so far.

Dude... What is it with you these days man?

The album, like, JUST came out. How can you have even processed it enough to call it a disappointment? Seriously, no offense, but why can't you just let it sink in a bit? I never expect to know how I feel about an album this quickly. Yeah, it happens sometimes... But usually only with something insanely awesome. It takes me a while to decide that something's a disappointment.

Take it in, man.

For my part, I'm liking what I'm hearing. Loco, Prima Donna and War Ready (Andre!) all sound good to me. Infectious. Much more immediate and "poppy" than Summertime '06. But there's nothing wrong with that.

louder 08.26.2016 04:15 AM

Haha

louder 08.26.2016 04:23 AM

Some sites said it's some shit that was never heard before in music, and that the engineers in the studio were losing their minds after hearing it. One listen was enough to tell that was nonsense. Of course it's not a bad EP though because Vince is a good enough rapper to carry it.

By the way, Vince said Yeezus is one of his most listened to albums nowadays and based on this EP I can actually tell, which is also interesting because he said he didn't like it in another interview back in 2013.

louder 08.26.2016 10:36 AM

I'm surprised about how much I enjoy the new Thugger mixtape..

My favorite project from him since "Tha Tour Pt. 1".