Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   the constantly-bumped "great releases of 2010" thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=37031)

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 09.16.2010 04:03 PM

I've seen like...zero coverage of it anywhere, but I really like Glenn Branca's The Ascension: The Sequel.

atsonicpark 09.16.2010 04:07 PM

^I thought it was alright. It was really LOUD, wasn't it? Did anyone else notice that? I feel like he's done so many amazing albums, and that one definitely felt like a lesser work in his catalogue. but, you're right, the "no coverage of it whatsoever, anyway" thing is a bit strange.

Moshe 09.17.2010 12:50 AM

The new Swans is really good.

SuperCreep 09.17.2010 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe
The new Swans is really good.

came in here to post this.

def. AOTY.

noisereductions 09.17.2010 08:22 AM

it's been a mostly shit year for music. There's been mostly freebie mixtapes and web-exclusives I've enjoyed, with a very small handful of good albums elsewise.

Christina Aguilera - Bionic
Gucci Mane - Burrprint 2
Gucci Mane - Free Gucci
Last Electro Acoustic Space Jazz & Percussion Ensemble - Miles Away
Lil Wayne - Rebirth
Madlib - High Jazz
Meth, Ghost & Rae - Wu Massacre
Record Club - Kick
Young Jeezy - Trap Or Die 2

_slavo_ 09.17.2010 08:36 AM

That new Women album "Public Strain" is kind of a dissapointment for me.

demonrail666 09.17.2010 09:21 AM

So far this year, albums I've got into most have been those by I Am Kloot and MIA, as well as having a strange soft spot for the new Los Lobos album. Some solidly good outright pop stuff too, by Ke$ha, Saturdays and Miley. I want to like Christina Aguilera's one far more than I actually do. Biggest disappointments have been the Fall and High on Fire albums.

noisereductions 09.17.2010 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
So far this year, albums I've got into most have been those by I Am Kloot and MIA, as well as having a strange soft spot for the new Los Lobos album. Some solidly good outright pop stuff too, by Ke$ha, Saturdays and Miley. I want to like Christina Aguilera's one far more than I actually do. Biggest disappointments have been the Fall and High on Fire albums.

yr not into the Xtina? I Think it's fantastic. One of her best actually. Did you get the deluxe with all the bonus tracks?

viewtiful alan redux 09.17.2010 01:10 PM

My favorites this year so far (in no particular order)

Cosmogramma by Flying Lotus

Thank Me Later by Drake

Sir Luscious Leftfoot by Big Boi

Sea of Cowards by Dead Weather

Wu-Massacre by Meth, Ghost & Rae

Distant Relatives by Nas & Damian Marley

demonrail666 09.17.2010 01:21 PM

Noisereductions^ No, I just got the standard album. I don't hate it at all, I just think I built it up a bit too much in my mind. I don't dislike any of the tracks but nor do any of them really stand out. Musically I think it's easily her most interesting album, it just lacks any real killer songs to hang things on.

I think pop's produced some very good albums this year but I'm still waiting for it to produce one that really delivers that killer blow. Miley's is very good but has a bit too much filler. I'm looking forward to the possibility of a new Britney album at the end of the year and suspect that some other big hitters are also waiting for the christmas period to release their new albums. Ke$ha's album has been my surprise of the year so far. I really wasn't expecting much but was seriously impressed.

noisereductions 09.17.2010 01:28 PM

demon, you need to hear all 6 bonus tracks. There's some amazing stuff added there.

noisereductions 09.17.2010 01:28 PM

viewtiful, I'm thinking it's probably time I pick up the Drake album already haha.

SuperCreep 09.17.2010 01:50 PM

i'm loving the new blonde redhead, though i seem to be in the minority.

SonicBebs 09.17.2010 02:12 PM

i bought the polar bear album by mistake and really like it. Some nice tones and grooves.

bought some shit too!

atsonicpark 09.17.2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
That new Women album "Public Strain" is kind of a dissapointment for me.

Yeah, honestly I only gave it one listen so I haven't formed a complete opinion on it but eh.

Am I the only one who didn't care for new Swans too much? It was okay. Didn't like new Grinderman also. I listened to the new Weezer, haha. Didn't like it.

New Skream album was awesome. I'm really excited for new Darkstar and new Squarepusher.

demonrail666 09.17.2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
demon, you need to hear all 6 bonus tracks. There's some amazing stuff added there.

fair enough. I'll hunt it down. Thanks for the recommendation.

hevusa 09.17.2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperCreep
i'm loving the new blonde redhead, though i seem to be in the minority.

I like it too.

The new Superchunk album is good.

TheFoxBen 09.17.2010 03:04 PM

Yeah, the new Blonde Redhead is good but I've only heard it once. I'm seeing them tomorrow so I'll probably listen to it again before the show.

SuperCreep 09.17.2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Am I the only one who didn't care for new Swans too much? It was okay.

no. my friend thinks its alright, though he says it doesn't sound too much different from the angels of light. he's also on the "i miss jarboe" wagon. those are the two biggest complaints i've heard.

it does sound like angels of light in spots, but there's enough "swans"-y moments on this album to make it worth its namesake. as for jarboe, well, i love jarboe. i think she added a fantastic dimension to swans' music, but i don't view her as absolutely essential to their continuation. swans have made great albums without her (this one including) and will continue to do so.

Genteel Death 09.17.2010 05:16 PM

First world critics