Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

wellcharge 12.19.2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
no i couldnt find the cover of the edition i am reading but the translation was first published in 1966.

ahh ok, i have one from 1966, by rosemary edmonds. I was hoping someone had feedback on the new one, i never saw resurrection available new until a couple of weeks ago when i saw one in the store that was a brand new translation and i think i might want to read it

terminal pharmacy 12.19.2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge
ahh ok, i have one from 1966, by rosemary edmonds. I was hoping someone had feedback on the new one, i never saw resurrection available new until a couple of weeks ago when i saw one in the store that was a brand new translation and i think i might want to read it

yup rosemary edmunds is the translator of the issue i am reading

wellcharge 12.19.2009 09:56 PM

it's a good novel, you'll probably like it assuming you don't mind the overbearing preachiness, alot of people do mind that though...

terminal pharmacy 12.19.2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

it's a good novel, you'll probably like it assuming you don't mind the overbearing preachiness, alot of people do mind that though...

i dont really find tolstoy preachy, he is philosophically very strong though

wellcharge 12.19.2009 10:08 PM

i agree, i think it mostly depends on how you feel about what he's trying the say, i think most of the people who say his messages overpower his art tend to disagree with the message. his short stories get alot of flack too but i can't think of any other writer who could create a 6 story page as crushing as god sees the truth,but waits

terminal pharmacy 12.19.2009 10:10 PM

kafka's hunger artist

Quote:

i agree, i think it mostly depends on how you feel about what he's trying the say, i think most of the people who say his messages overpower his art tend to disagree with the message. his short stories get alot of flack too but i can't think of any other writer who could create a 6 story page as crushing as god sees the truth,but waits

wellcharge 12.19.2009 10:15 PM

i'll read it :) i've grown up with eastern european writers though and i'd be shocked if i were to feel the same way about a kafka work as a tolstoy,of course that's my flaw and not kafka's...

ni'k 12.20.2009 09:56 PM

I read the trail, in the introduction there is talk of the marxist kafka, the christian kafka, the existentialist kafka- fuck no, he was clearly a seer channeling a prophetic vision about what being on disability living allowance is like, only instead of execution it's the day when you will be judged not sick and get no more money and have to go back to work. and yes i'll get the russel book you mentioned soon, i have the problems of philosophy already and will start that as soon as i finish dominic fox's cold world. it makes me think of porky- militant miserablist marxism. i mean that as a total compliment of course.

pbradley 12.22.2009 02:38 AM

This article I'm reading is brilliant.

The lesson of all Republics is that they last only as long as their institutions are not hollowed out by private power. Thus, the first duty of the state is to exercise violence against the most powerful private parties. To put it in plain English, we do not tax the rich at a higher rate because we want to use that money for social welfare, or for the poor – we do it firstly in order to make the rich less rich. This, I think is always true. Rawls’ Theory assumes that we have passed a historical point where Republics could be threatened by private parties in this way. The whole of the last thirty years, I think, proves he was wrong.

http://newsfromthezona.blogspot.com/...-equality.html

A Thousand Threads 12.22.2009 06:19 AM

Transnational guerrilla movement
activism, art and the upcoming society

_slavo_ 12.22.2009 06:24 AM

Crumb's Crunchy Delights 12.22.2009 08:09 PM

keep trying to read this

but to many complicated sentences:(

looks like a good story tho

automatic bzooty 12.26.2009 09:41 PM

"editor/word guy"

aaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy

StevOK 12.26.2009 10:16 PM

a-p a. niemi 12.27.2009 06:46 AM

Sonic Youth 37 12.27.2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
the rules of attraction by bret easton ellis-

but damn i instantly realised i must have seen it on telly.
its the only one i havent read by him and i have been waiting for his new one this coming year.

my personal joke of the year is that i bought joyce's ulysses. in english. the 1934 text.

The book, while very similar to the movies, is way more complicated and dark.

chicka 12.27.2009 12:26 PM

easy read finished in about 3 hours simple yet enjoyable like his other books

Glice 12.27.2009 01:14 PM

I think Albom is a surprisingly good writer. He's not the most florid, but he's really good at getting a story done with minimal flapping about. I think 'the 5 people you meet in heaven' was probably my favourite.

Keeping It Simple 12.27.2009 01:26 PM

I'm reading "The Knight" by Gene Wolfe. I know he's American as Ma's apple pie, but it's romantic fantasy of a quintessentially English kind. One can almost compare it with the epic poem "Sir Gawain and The Green Knight", but with a modernist bent.

Glice 12.27.2009 01:34 PM

Fucking hell. What's a complete fuckwit like you doing referencing Gawain? Have you ever had a look at this site? I've been flitting in and out of it quite a bit of late, there's a gash-load of greatness there (and turgid dross like Quarles, obviously).