Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   the other news (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=118544)

!@#$%! 04.23.2019 11:39 AM

wow! i completely dropped everything and that ate my morning

demonrail666 04.23.2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
haaaa haaaaa just finished listening to both speeches-- now they're gonna talk

so far, peterson was absolutely no-nonsense whereas zizek was brilliant

i really enjoying this

Yeah, Peterson's easier to agree or disagree with simply cos he's so clear and to the point. Zizak is brilliant and his intellectual range is frightening but, perhaps because of that, he's prone to going off on tangents that don't always lead anywhere.

!@#$%! 04.23.2019 12:01 PM

i think peterson's earnestness and zizek's awareness of limits and contradiction complemented each other greatly

it was outright inspiring. but be careful with inspiration! haaa haaa haa.

a fucking great conversation in the end

demonrail666 04.23.2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

a fucking great conversation in the end

Cambridge won't agree; they've chosen instead to book that well known giant of philosophy Rose McGowan to speak at their Union next month. About what, who knows ... or cares?

!@#$%! 04.23.2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Cambridge won't agree; they've chosen instead to book that well known giant of philosophy Rose McGowan to speak at their Union next month. About what, who knows ... or cares?

hahhah! who needs cambridge then? or book reading?

twitter on your phone is all you need to get an education now.

!@#$%! 04.24.2019 08:34 AM

independence referendum in scotland? whoa!

demonrail666 04.24.2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

hahhah! who needs cambridge then? or book reading?

twitter on your phone is all you need to get an education now.

5 years ago I'd have disagreed with you and still think twitter might be overstating it but i certainly think you can learn more from access to youtube than you can on most degree courses right now. And it's free.

!@#$%! 04.24.2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

5 years ago I'd have disagreed with you and still think twitter might be overstating it but i certainly think you can learn more from access to youtube than you can on most degree courses right now. And it's free.

i was trying to joke about rose mcgowans qualifications but that backfired i guess

but yes, if we could have more youtubes like the one we just saw it would be amazing.

khan academy in a way holds that kind of promise—universal education free to all. it’s more basic courses though. oh there is udemy and lynda.com for actual courses. and there are ted talks, and didn’t stanford have free classes online long ago?

the only issue with the youtubes is the quality of the discussion

e.g. on a jordan peterson video some eejit will write: “watch jordan peterson RAPE a radical feminist”. jeezus, with friends like that who needs enemies. they confirm the mischaracterizations.

but yeah i need to learn a lot of new material lately and gave up on any notion of a course or courses. the internet is a magnificent thing if you can sidestep the eejits. who are legion, but eh. there’s an immense wealth out there.

oh and i finally got a twitter account actually. i just use it like the rss feeds of old— read-only mode. i get updates from a ton of good sources i could not afford to subscribe to. helps me scope out a greater territory and weed out redundancies.

!@#$%! 04.24.2019 01:42 PM

so may survives attempt to depose her

(eta: and the pound sinks further?)

!@#$%! 04.25.2019 11:40 AM

the snp parliament chief:

"Scotland’s future cannot and will not be decided by the arrogant diktat of this shambles of a Tory government which has been rejected by Scottish voters at every election and which is soon likely to be out of office.

Whatever people’s views on independence, a strong majority of people back the Scottish parliament’s right to determine the nation’s future.

Overwhelmingly, it is Holyrood – not Westminster – which the people of Scotland believe should have the right to decide this country’s democratic path."

daaaaaaaamn.

!@#$%! 04.27.2019 08:13 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...idea-says-poll

choc e-Claire 04.28.2019 08:06 PM

A man in Hong Kong decided to stand outside a movie theatre and yell Endgame spoilers. The end result? He was beaten up and sent to hospital.

(link is to a news article [The Independent], but it does have a video [geoblocked here])

!@#$%! 05.02.2019 07:15 AM

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/-/me...t-may-2019.pdf

!@#$%! 05.02.2019 08:44 AM

Quote:

and didn’t stanford have free classes online long ago?

not exactly “news” but didn’t wanna leave that hanging

https://www.youtube.com/user/YaleCourses

https://www.youtube.com/user/MIT

berkeley seems to have crapped out: channel with no content lol
http://www.youtube.com/ucberkeley

ilduclo 05.02.2019 09:31 AM

Google stock off 9.7% in 3 days! (Still up 20% ytd)

!@#$%! 05.03.2019 08:05 AM

this morning us non-farm payroll high, unemployment at record low 3.6%, wages mixed say no to inflation.

!@#$%! 05.05.2019 10:07 AM

fuckin shit

gaza again...

!@#$%! 05.07.2019 11:08 AM

so joo guys gonna vote in european elections?

!@#$%! 05.10.2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

of course im french.

and i was only catholic till i was 11 because that’s when it stopped making sense to me.

today im agnostic.

but i can dance the drunken dance, see:

i hate the forces that are raping the planet and paying for the wost politicians to keep us stuck and killed millions of iraqis: the oil industry and houston.

i never said i will be happy when houston drowns, but sooo much rape in houston!

so much rape

and religion

houston!

if the rothko chapel is swept away by tides, i won’t say i’m happy

but who paid for it?

the oil industry and houston

raping the planet

goddammit, so much rape in houston today

stay safe!

confusion is next 05.10.2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

so joo guys gonna vote in european elections?

yeeeeesss !

!@#$%! 05.14.2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by confusion is next
yeeeeesss !

you’re in... italy?

...no, that was NEXT STEP

(sorry for the confusion, confusion)

you’re voting where?

===

and i came here originally to say brexit looks again an incomprehensible mess.

is the uk crashing out with no deal? looks to me like that’s where it’s heading now, am i wrong?

confusion is next 05.15.2019 05:54 AM

Quote:

you’re in... italy?

...no, that was NEXT STEP

(sorry for the confusion, confusion)

you’re voting where?

===

and i came here originally to say brexit looks again an incomprehensible mess.

is the uk crashing out with no deal? looks to me like that’s where it’s heading now, am i wrong?

ahaha Italy its a big mess...with some "mussolinis" waiting to bite.

im voting in Portugal

_tunic_ 05.15.2019 06:13 AM

this is bad news for Claire :-D

Australian political leaders agree gays don't go to hell

so whatever you do from now on, you'll never go to hell.

choc e-Claire 05.15.2019 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
so whatever you do from now on, you'll never go to hell.

Jesus died for our sins, ergo it's an insult to his memory if we don't go out and commit some.

Honestly it's fucking broken at the moment. This whole issue is because some moron rugby player said gays were going to hell (again), he got fired (justifiably - he signed a contract to get millions of dollars for playing a ball game in exchange for not shooting his mouth off), and now everyone you'd expect is having a massive sook about religious freedoms. It'll be so much fun watching Morrison (or, as he insists on being called, 'ScoMo') get voted out on Saturday.

(Also, take a look at Clive Palmer if you want some more amusing reading)

demonrail666 05.16.2019 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
Jesus died for our sins, ergo it's an insult to his memory if we don't go out and commit some.

With that, you're elevated to the level of SYG's Oscar Wilde.

Brilliant!

!@#$%! 05.16.2019 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by confusion is next
ahaha Italy its a big mess...with some "mussolinis" waiting to bite.

im voting in Portugal

oh, you are... he who must not be named?

Quote:

With that, you're elevated to the level of SYG's Oscar Wilde.

Brilliant!

ha ha yes

!@#$%! 05.17.2019 07:12 AM

got a reuters alert on my phone at 3am (gotta rethink those alerts, lol) that the may-corbyn talks had collapsed.

now on normal business hours (lol) the pound keeps exploring further depths and the euro keeps shedding recent gains.

so many possibilities in the air, im thinking it’s gonna be hard brexit by default...

h8kurdt 05.17.2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

got a reuters alert on my phone at 3am (gotta rethink those alerts, lol) that the may-corbyn talks had collapsed.

now on normal business hours (lol) the pound keeps exploring further depths and the euro keeps shedding recent gains.

so many possibilities in the air, im thinking it’s gonna be hard brexit by default...

Ah default, two of the greatest words in the English language.

!@#$%! 05.17.2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Ah default, two of the greatest words in the English language.

haaa haa haaaaa haaaa!

took me a moment to get it :D

!@#$%! 05.17.2019 10:40 AM

so: prime minister boris? lmao

Antagon 05.18.2019 02:45 PM

The Austrian vice chancellor and figurehead of the far right party FPOE resigned in disgrace today due to a leaked video showing him talking to a fake Russian investor (it was a set up). Among other things he mentioned wanting her to purchase the biggest mass tabloid paper in Austria so his party could sneakily infiltrate it - giving them a huge boost in the upcoming election (the whole thing happened in Summer 2017). And the chancellor called for a snap election. This is fucking huge. For some time now it seemed like there's nothing this guy could say or do that could possibly hurt his career in anyway. And now it turns out he already fucked himself over spectacularly before he even got into office. His right hand was involved in the scandal as well and has also resigned. He'd been quite vile character who's been in the news for his awful remarks and sketchy propositions time and time again. Good fucking riddance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/18/w...gns-video.html

!@#$%! 05.18.2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon
The Austrian vice chancellor and figurehead of the far right party FPOE resigned in disgrace today due to a leaked video showing him talking to a fake Russian investor (it was a set up). Among other things he mentioned wanting her to purchase the biggest mass tabloid paper in Austria so his party could sneekily infiltrate it - giving them a huge boost in the upcoming election (the whole thing happened in Summer 2017). And the chancellor called for a snap election. This is fucking huge. For some time now it seemed like there's nothing this guy could say or do that could possibly hurt his career in anyway. And now it turns out he already fucked himself over spectacularly before he even got into office. His right hand was involved in the scandal as well and has also resigned. He'd been quite vile character who's been in the news for his awful remarks and sketchy propositions time and time again. Good fucking riddance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/18/w...gns-video.html

oh! wow!

congrats!

that’s a relief...

!@#$%! 05.20.2019 08:10 AM

lmfao milkshaked

!@#$%! 05.21.2019 10:59 AM

so i listened to may’s speech on the guardian’s jootoob.

seems good intentions but complicated, meaning it has the potential to alienate everyone.

still having the feeling you’re gonna end with hard brexit “by the fault” (lol)

no?

!@#$%! 05.21.2019 01:09 PM

and sure enough, opponents pile in from all fronts haaa haaa haaaa

demonrail666 05.22.2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

so: prime minister boris? lmao

Looks like TM could go on Friday, if the EU elections go as badly as predicted.

Boris is the bookies favourite to replace her. He's definitely popular with the party's grassroots but I think actual MPs would prefer someone less divisive, like Andrea Leadsom.

!@#$%! 05.22.2019 01:05 PM

i think they’re trying to get her out *right now*

yesterday it was weird when she wouldn’t come out for 15 minutes after her appointed time

anyway the pound is rising right now.... or the dollar taking a shit? [eta dollar index taking a shit]

didnt mogg synthesizer say he’d back boris?

lmao, your own trump

hard brexit is coming....

!@#$%! 05.22.2019 01:12 PM

OOOOOOH IT WAS THE FED MINUTES

they were just released

!@#$%! 05.22.2019 02:00 PM

leadsom resigned from government 20 min ago

demonrail666 05.22.2019 03:00 PM

She resigned from the cabinet but remains a conservative MP, so it looks like she's manoeuvring for a leadership bid by publicly distancing herself from May.