Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Odd Future thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=41963)

noisereductions 04.12.2011 08:03 AM

hottt

Derek 04.12.2011 03:34 PM

Just found my favourite Tyler picture again:

The Aleister Crowley t-shirt always gets me.

Derek 05.01.2011 07:25 AM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...732/kanycom-20

30 second samples of all the GOBLIN songs.

Sounds way more dark and fucked up than BASTARD. I'm fucking excited.

SpaceCadetHayden 05.01.2011 10:24 AM

http://punkrockisdad.tumblr.com/post...-new-song-from

Tron Cat. Full length song. I posted this a couple of days ago in case some of you haven't heard it.

krastian 05.01.2011 01:24 PM

I don't think Bastard is really that great, but I think this going to be really good....I hope.

It's just cool to see something different going on in hip hop. He has a great voice.

noisereductions 05.01.2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aselfishimpulse
I wonder how long the hype train is gonna last for OF. I feel like so much is expected of them because they've been so built up that there's no way they could live up to peoples expectations. I would love to see them be around for a while but it's hard to say what's gonna happen to them. I feel like in the position they're in it's really easy for them to fuck it all up...

they already released 3 great albums though. EARL, BASTARD and BLACKENDWHITE are all excellent.

keep poppin pimples 05.01.2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fantasykissass
I read there're in works with Adult Swim for a show. Is this true?

"mixture of Chappelle's Show and Jackass"

Sounds more exiciting than their music.

reruns of friends are more exciting than their music

SpaceCadetHayden 05.01.2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

troll post

I'm really looking forward to Goblin. If you don't like OF, that's too bad because one of the most interesting things going on in music right now.

I hope Tyler's Goblin has more of a central theme in his song writing. There's certainly a pattern in his songs but I feel like I've heard a lot of the lyrics before in a different manner. Let's just hope this shit delivers.

jonathan 05.01.2011 11:35 PM

I really don't see what is so interesting or original about this band. I am intrigued by all of the hype and all the videos I've seen show each of the members to be very charismatic. I have yet to hear anything from them that was totally mind-blowing, most was acceptable, but nothing utterly amazing. I feel like it's hip hop for people who don't like hip hop. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but really, this doesn't hold a candle to any of the great hip hop artists. These kids, for the most part, are kids. One or two of them have some talent, but over all, they all sound quite young to me, like they haven't quite hit what they're good at. What I think people pick up is this youthful spirit, which gives them a kind of authenticity. I don't really buy it. Just because you're young and you can make hip hop beats with noise, throw a few seven chords on top of it and then sing about fucked up shit, doesn't make it brilliant. It's not that they necessarily don't have the recipe for it. I think they're doing something that comes very natural to them, but they haven't hit the right mix yet. I'll be interested to see what comes of it, but I very much foresee this band riding this wave of hype and then crashing into obscurity.

keep poppin pimples 05.02.2011 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan
I really don't see what is so interesting or original about this band.

nothing

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.02.2011 01:19 AM

Odd Future make the kind of music I wish I could - sick horrorcore lyrics, tight delivery, and great production.

Not only are they exceedingly talented emcees for their age, but their aesthetics as a group are ingenious.

It's funny how unheard of they were when Earl of Slander first mentioned 'em on here. They deserve the hype, and I hope they only continue to evolve in skill. Their tongue-in-cheek edge is much appreciated.

noisereductions 05.02.2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

HA Ha, Tell that to SpaceCadetRocketBoy or noise(Lil Wayne)reductions.

who are you again?

Derek 05.02.2011 09:08 AM

GOBLIN will be a masterpiece. Just watch.

SpaceCadetHayden 05.02.2011 04:34 PM

keep poppin pimples,

bruh

the ikara cult 05.03.2011 04:09 PM

only in the last couple of months have i discovered odd future, but its fucking great, they know how to be antisocial whilst making great tunes and thats all i can really ask for.

and ive just found out Tyler the creator likes Stereolab, you can imagine how that set my indie buttons spazzing.

the ikara cult 05.03.2011 04:12 PM

I only heard about them because of this board really, cos i just dont pay attention to the pop/hiphop/anything world anymore. Its kinda mad that I missed out on this for most of the year given that I keep up with everything Ashtray Navigations do on an almost daily basis. But i guess thats the ultimate dichotemy of our indie cred and our love of pop music.

Derek 05.04.2011 07:21 PM

Oh look, GOBLIN is a masterpiece like I said.

SpaceCadetHayden 05.04.2011 11:29 PM

Troll? yes.

Derek 05.05.2011 11:28 AM

I've listened to this album like 10 times already lololol.

SYRFox 05.05.2011 11:49 AM

fucktyler Tyler, The Creator
it Will be In Like, Target And Best Buy And Shit Like That 5.10.11. You Could Wait Instead Of Downloading Celine Dion And Shaq Songs
19 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

FUCKING LOSERS
19 hours ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
19 hours ago

People Are Going Crazy Tryna Find The Leak To GOBLIN. It Comes Out Soon, And Took This Long To 'Leak' Good Job Tyler And XL. 5.10.11
19 hours ago

So Happy GOBLIN Has Not Leaked With Only 2 More Days To Go ( It Releases In The UK Early)
4 May

i must say i agree with him... i find the whole leak thing (not only with odd future, but with all records) ridiculous, and stupid.