Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

!@#$%! 06.28.2008 01:54 PM

well this isn't a "movie" but a longass series-- call me a child, but i enjoyed it-- except when they whine--

RdTv 06.28.2008 03:29 PM

I've heard about this movie from all the places you would expect. I've seen the poster more times than I can imagine and always thought that the movie would be cool. I finally watched it and can't find myself ''hyping'' it to anyone. One of the most overrated films I've seen.

atsonicpark 06.28.2008 05:10 PM

Yeah, that Ron Jeremy doc isn't that good.

Never heard of Dr. Chopper, I gotta see that!

And as I've said before, Blow Out (a sort-of remake of Blow Up) is one of my all time favorites.

Thriller: A Cruel Picture is this HOT AS HELL chick being forced to have sex with men so she can get 2 doses of heroin a day. There's lots to like -- slow motion violent gunshot deaths, a dark and gritty atmosphere, and it's all entertaining and well-paced... however, at some point in the movie, it's the same scenes over and over: A chick training in hand to hand combat, then driving a car, then shooting things, having sex with dudes, getting a heroin fix, repeat. This goes on for a good 45 minutes or so, with some parts that go back to the actual plot.

It's entertaining and definitely worth seeing but I don't see it being anyone's favorite film. It's better than, like, Kill Bill or something though (and you can see many elements Quentin ripped from it -- in fact, I think Tarantino said THriller was his favorite revenge film). The version I saw had actual sex scenes in it.. .with cocks going into vaginas, and cum coming out. Obviously different cocks and vaginas than the actors/actress but still. Not disturbing or anything, it just kinda was like, "Whoa.. wasn't expecting that!!"

All in all, it's compelling and well-made, but it has a few weak spots and parts that don't go anywhere and it's all a bit too simple to thoroughly enjoy. Still worth seeing for some of the weirdest editing I've ever seen in a film and the slow-motion death scenes. I can't even describe these.. I'll attempt to.. as soon as a gun shot blast happens, you see the impact and blood spurt everywhere in slow motion and then there's an overdubbed "RAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" high-pitched scream (unless it's just the screams slowed down and pitch-shifted up)... and there's this other scene where a dude is running from a gunshot and a vase explodes behind him in slow motion. Crazy.

Mildly reccomended!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.29.2008 01:31 AM

Clown rape, a Walt Flannigan's dog reference and a shaven and homosexual Kevin Smith make this film an extremely underappreciated classic in the View Askewniverse.

I really dig the shit out of this flick. It is far from the best movie I've ever seen and I'll admit it has it's fair share of flaws. But, I wouldn't be clowning if I told you the film was obviously made with love. Bryan Johnson and the cast (with more than a few familiar faces) seem to have put their faith in this one, and it's a shame it's generally received so poorly.

B+

atsonicpark 06.29.2008 07:11 AM

yeah vulgar's okay. I liked that I didn't know where it was going.

It's certainly better than any of Kevin Smith's films.

mil_pl 06.29.2008 07:15 AM

it was not what i was expecting.. (i've been even two times in cinema on ij4, dont ask me why)

atsonicpark 06.29.2008 07:28 AM

my girlfriend dragged me to it, we both thought it was the worst film we'd ever seen in theatres.

Derek 06.29.2008 07:47 AM

All my friends have seen it, I refuse to let down.

Pookie 06.30.2008 06:34 PM

Watched this:

It was ok, but I couldn't help comparing it to the far superior:

and:

samuel 06.30.2008 07:07 PM

Pumpkin
some sorority girl falls in love with a mentally challenged dude named Pumpkin
I usually hate comedies, but this wasn't so bad

!@#$%! 06.30.2008 09:05 PM

wonderful movie.

later, i found out that part of it is a bunch of foul lies-- which pissed me off a bit. but still, great film to see, lies & all.

pop punk will eat itself 06.30.2008 10:11 PM

Miranda July's "Me and You and Everyone We Know". I recommend it.

schizophrenicroom 06.30.2008 10:55 PM

i watched the killing by kubrick. very taut movie.

!@#$%! 06.30.2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pop punk will eat itself
Miranda July's "Me and You and Everyone We Know". I recommend it.

no shit-- best movie of 2006 maybe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
i watched the killing by kubrick. very taut movie.

oh fucking a right yes-- i love that movie

atsonicpark 06.30.2008 11:28 PM

tim roth as a skinhead is just funny.

Cantankerous 06.30.2008 11:30 PM

atsonicpark 06.30.2008 11:35 PM

viewtiful_alan 06.30.2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous

Good movie, but a little over rated.

Cantankerous 06.30.2008 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
Good movie, but a little over rated.

yeah
jodie fosters accent in it really bothers me
anthony hopkins did an ace job though

viewtiful_alan 06.30.2008 11:50 PM

Yeah... its falseness is beyond annoying...
And yeah he did.
It also didn't help that the other hannibal movies were big time shit.